Author Topic: Apparently the Plinko sign still exists...  (Read 8668 times)

Offline EvilChameleon

• Walking the Golden Road
Re: Apparently the Plinko sign still exists...
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2023, 04:24:20 PM »
I'd love to own a piece of TPIR history, but I don't know who's going to buy a blank check for an amount that could actually win in Check Game.
Just checking, the page says one was sold in the last 24 hours, so someone did.

Offline COINBOYNYC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2023, 11:34:07 PM »
I don't know who's going to buy a blank check for an amount that could actually win in Check Game.

I have some Bob Barker checks in my collection.  Not checks used on the show but genuine checks drawn on his actual bank account.  Here's one he wrote to the Americah Humane Association in 1983 for $1,000.

(Note: Mr. Barker's address, and the check routing number, have been digitally removed from the image.)
Fun fact: Evelyn Wong, the 5th person to be called on the first show (9/4/72), was actually the very first contestant to directly be called to come on down!  The original first four (Sandy Flornor, Paul Levine, Connie Donnel, Myra Carter) were individually told to stand up, and then, as a group, were invited to come on down.

Offline Combs

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2023, 09:25:09 AM »
It's possible that they just didn't bother to update the ticket design, especially since the show still taped at Television City which was still owned by CBS at the time.

True, that is possible. It just struck me as odd because I have quite a few CBS and syndicated Combs Feud tickets in my collection as well as some 1994-1995 syndicated Dawson tickets and the CBS eye logo as well as "CBS Television Network" is never present on the syndicated tickets.

IMG-0100"    IMG-0102"

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2023, 01:31:40 PM »
I have some Bob Barker checks in my collection.  Not checks used on the show but genuine checks drawn on his actual bank account.  Here's one he wrote to the Americah Humane Association in 1983 for $1,000.

I'm very disappointed that this wasn't dated "TODAY, 19NOW."
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline TPIRZippy

« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2023, 10:39:54 PM »
I'm very disappointed that this wasn't dated "TODAY, 19NOW."

The same seller is listing a prop airline boarding pass in a "TPIR Airlines" ticket sleeve that includes "19NOW" in the date for a nonstop flight from Hollywood to St. Croix.  (The Airlines logo has a gray circle next to it that reminds one of the current American logo with the OneWorld logo next to it--more AA tidbits on it too.)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/256066818798?hash=item3b9ec592ee:g:xfUAAOSw32dkVpwa
Interestingly, it mentions "AA 678" as the flight number (American, not TPIR Airlines) with a ticket number starting in 001 (Also American) and says FIRST CLASS on it but the class of service is "Y" (which means coach).  And it has the dread "SSSS" on the boarding pass, meaning a full grope from TSA.  "GROUP 6" is on there with the word "GROUP" faded, and if you look at the name on the boarding pass stub, "RACHEL REYNOLDS" is faintly printed in the name area.  Could they have doctored a boarding pass of Rachel's?  (AA boarding passes at the airport do print on ticket stock type cards and take up the whole card as this one does.)

True, that is possible. It just struck me as odd because I have quite a few CBS and syndicated Combs Feud tickets in my collection as well as some 1994-1995 syndicated Dawson tickets and the CBS eye logo as well as "CBS Television Network" is never present on the syndicated tickets.

IMG-0100"    IMG-0102"

On March 13, 1998, after going to TPIR for three days including the ceremonial 5000th show earlier in the week, I was back at CBS Television City for a taping of Politically Incorrect with Bill Maher, as my original plans (a taping of Murphy Brown) had to change (as that evening was the taping of the then-final episode and it became an audience of only VIPs and friends/family of the show, which I was bummed about but did understand).  I got the ticket to PI from the CBS ticket office in person while waiting for one of the TPIR shows earlier in the week and it turned out that having a "CBS ticket" as the pages called it had higher priority than those who got tickets other ways; I got to be in the front row right behind Patrick Stewart. I wish I had taken a picture of the ticket or something.  It did not include the CBS logo (despite it being a "CBS ticket" as they called it) and like others, referred to "Television City" without mention of CBS as well, and no mention of a production company either.

Online GRWHAMMY the 2nd

« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2023, 08:40:21 AM »
just saw a piece on this collection on the Saturday morning edition of the Today Show (5/13/23)

Offline PimpinJC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2023, 09:37:22 AM »
Looking at the picture from the auction got me wondering…did a 2nd Plinko sign exist at some point?  If you look at Plinko playings on YouTube from 1983, when the sign was at the back of the audience (and from the 94 syndicated version), the sign looks like had 3 sides for the louvers (black, Plinko, money).  The pictures for the auction only show 2 sides (Plinko, money), and it looks like only 2 sides for the louvers existed by a 2001 Plinko playing.
All Hail Sinfonia!

Offline SuperMatch93

« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2023, 11:23:51 AM »
Looking at the picture from the auction got me wondering…did a 2nd Plinko sign exist at some point?  If you look at Plinko playings on YouTube from 1983, when the sign was at the back of the audience (and from the 94 syndicated version), the sign looks like had 3 sides for the louvers (black, Plinko, money).  The pictures for the auction only show 2 sides (Plinko, money), and it looks like only 2 sides for the louvers existed by a 2001 Plinko playing.

Weren't the panels just displayed sideways so they looked black (i.e. neutral position)?

Offline gsn93

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2023, 11:25:00 AM »

The sign always had two sided panels. The panels were turned sideways and seeing the inside of the prop during the original reveal.
Total HYO Winnings: $101,775(as of 5/10/10)

Offline Reloaden

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2023, 01:43:56 PM »

Offline CJBojangles

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2023, 02:17:52 PM »
Those Big Wheel panels look familiar.  :shocked:

Offline Game Girl

• In Contestant's Row
  • game girl was a nickname for game boy as a kid.
« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2023, 05:54:33 PM »
in terms of the PL!NKO Prize Board maybe if it was like that "Hit Me" Card Game sign in which comes with the game. based on the Picture release it seems that there is no PL!NKO dropping Area. (yes I know they have a home version but I can definitely see the appeal of having a jumbo PL!NKO thing in a rich person's game room.) anyhow this auction looks amazing sadly the majority of the game show stuff (though some non-game show stuff is possible if you save to get) Is way over an average person ability to ever afford.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2023, 10:48:36 PM »
in terms of the PL!NKO Prize Board maybe if it was like that "Hit Me" Card Game sign in which comes with the game. based on the Picture release it seems that there is no PL!NKO dropping Area. (yes I know they have a home version but I can definitely see the appeal of having a jumbo PL!NKO thing in a rich person's game room.)

What in God's name are you trying to say here? :confused:
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline ooboh

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2023, 12:30:23 AM »
What in God's name are you trying to say here? :confused:

I have this reaction towards all of Game Girl’s posts.

Offline ballooney

• Outside in Line
« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2023, 02:11:36 PM »
What a surprise it would be to own many of these set pieces.  I'd have guests over, show they my Grand Game.  They'd be like, "How'd you get that?"  And I'll say, I did so well, they gave me the game instead of the money.

In Rochester, New York, the Strong Museum of Play is working on a Game Show Exhibit.  Will any of TPIR pieces be a part of it?