Author Topic: The Price is Right (Drew) Channel on Pluto TV  (Read 11713 times)

Offline CJBojangles

• Double Showcase Winner
The Price is Right (Drew) Channel on Pluto TV
« on: May 26, 2023, 11:02:19 AM »
Per this Twitter account, PlutoTV is adding a second 24-hour Price is Right channel featuring Drew-era episodes starting June 1st.

Let the speculation about which episodes these will be begin. (My guess is, don't expect to see a great deal pre-S39.)

Renamed thread title and stickied to match the Barker Era channel thread. No content in this thread has otherwise been modified.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2023, 10:20:56 PM by Chelsea »

Offline crinos43

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Re: The Price is Right: @DrewFromTV
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2023, 02:23:15 PM »
I'm not expecting any episodes from before George becoming permanent announcer. George has become as synonymous with Drew's TPiR as Johnny and Rod were with Bob.
I'm also not holding my breath to see any of the primetime specials.
I support The Price is Right.

Online GRWHAMMY the 2nd

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2023, 03:22:02 PM »
and if we DO start from the s36-38 time span, i know at least one episode that they'd rather skip

and i'm pretty certain you know which one i mean

Online ooboh

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2023, 05:02:20 PM »
and if we DO start from the s36-38 time span, i know at least one episode that they'd rather skip

and i'm pretty certain you know which one i mean

Does it involve “$0” appearing on an eggcrate display at the end of the show, combined with a deadpan Drew reaction? Because if so, I think I know which one you mean.

Offline Hag

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Don't fork too soon.
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2023, 05:03:53 PM »
Pretty sure that one's not happening.
2nd place, 2011 CSS playoffs.     QSW, 3/27/17, 1/15/18. Exacta, 5/14/21.

"Four cents cost you 10,000 dollars."

Online gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2023, 05:25:14 PM »
Fremantle cooperated with making a successful documentary about that episode. If they thought that episode was some shameful thing that should be buried they could have easily just said “no, you can’t use our copyrighted footage.” Instead they opened the vaults.

Everybody at Price involved with that particular episode who might have been embarrassed by it has been gone from the show for a number of years, except maybe Drew (and I have my doubts he’s still dwelling on it all these years later).

There are good reasons to jump ahead a few seasons instead of starting with S36/37, but the Perfect Bid ep isn’t one IMO.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline PriceFan07

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2023, 07:08:35 PM »
We can't even get the Barker Era Channel here in Canada yet. Curious if we'll get this one.
Get Ready to Price the Prize!
George Gray! Rachel Reynolds! Amber Lancaster! Manuela Arbelaez! Alexis Gaube! And James O'Halloran!
As we play the fabulous, sixty-minute Price is Right!
And here's the star of The Price is Right - Drew Carey!

Online GRWHAMMY the 2nd

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2023, 08:11:54 PM »
Fremantle cooperated with making a successful documentary about that episode. If they thought that episode was some shameful thing that should be buried they could have easily just said “no, you can’t use our copyrighted footage.” Instead they opened the vaults.

Everybody at Price involved with that particular episode who might have been embarrassed by it has been gone from the show for a number of years, except maybe Drew (and I have my doubts he’s still dwelling on it all these years later).

There are good reasons to jump ahead a few seasons instead of starting with S36/37, but the Perfect Bid ep isn’t one IMO.

you make a good point there

Offline Thatgameshowguy

• 2/1/2023: Superfan!
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • my trailer is all flat and paper-y
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2023, 10:52:55 PM »
Promos for the channel have begun airing on Pluto. A lot of the clips are "blink and you miss it" with generic looking things but I was able to track two of them to 4932K, 12/01/09, and all of the clips are from S38. The channel was mentioned as "The Price is Right Channel" and not something like "The Carey Era" so I'm sure that won't confuse anybody at all ever.
YES! You have them all right! You win $2,500! You will putt from the closest line!

Jhc2010 putts from the closest line and WINS!!!

Congratulations! Those 2 cars are yours! Now we go to the Showcase Showdown! You will spin first. Pick a number between 1 and 20.

Offline crinos43

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2023, 03:22:23 AM »
Does it involve “$0” appearing on an eggcrate display at the end of the show, combined with a deadpan Drew reaction? Because if so, I think I know which one you mean.

I didn't even think of that.
I was thinking of Joseph from S36 and his 69s, 420, and two million dollar bids.
I support The Price is Right.

Online ooboh

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2023, 02:14:38 PM »
I didn't even think of that.
I was thinking of Joseph from S36 and his 69s, 420, and two million dollar bids.

Yeah, that too was a rough episode that was rightly marked "not for rerun."

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2023, 07:03:49 PM »
While there are a handful of content from early Drew that are worth a rewatch, if/when they start at Season 39 or 40, I'm not complaining, period.  The main reason is that I'm blessed that they're giving Carey his own channel & we're getting something from the era.

There may be an argument that more recent episodes are too recent, and people might want to see the early stuff.  I'd disagree because you want to start at a point where people enjoy & stick around during the run.  I doubt you're getting people to maintain interest airing episodes from awful seasons like 37 & 38
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2023, 11:54:07 PM »
Promos for the channel have begun airing on Pluto. A lot of the clips are "blink and you miss it" with generic looking things but I was able to track two of them to 4932K, 12/01/09, and all of the clips are from S38. The channel was mentioned as "The Price is Right Channel" and not something like "The Carey Era" so I'm sure that won't confuse anybody at all ever.
So I'm guessing they will be starting from season 38 then. Not surprised they wouldn't show seasons 36 and 37, but 38 is a little surprising since Rich Fields was still there then. When they reaired older episodes in 2020 due to the extended rerun period, they didn't go further back than pre-George Gray episodes.

Offline supersaver87

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2023, 10:59:14 AM »
Yeah, that too was a rough episode that was rightly marked "not for rerun."

Is there any proof that's Joseph's episode was truly barred from rerunning, or is this just another piece of internet folklore?

Online gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2023, 01:24:44 PM »
Checking the thread from 2008, the source on that was apparently Willy. I believe him.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."