Author Topic: Pat Sajak Retiring from Wheel of Fortune  (Read 4327 times)

Offline TinoStar11

• Double Showcase Winner
Pat Sajak Retiring from Wheel of Fortune
« on: June 12, 2023, 07:20:55 PM »
Pat just tweeted that the 41st season of Wheel of Fortune is going to be his last.

Offline Sotc2022

• In the Audience
Re: Pat Sajak Retiring from Wheel of Fortune
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2023, 07:24:48 PM »
 :thecheeseisnow:
Pat just tweeted that the 41st season of Wheel of Fortune is going to be his last.

Shocking. I figured Paycheck Pat would try to beat Barkers 50 years on TV

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2023, 07:51:59 PM »
:thecheeseisnow:
Shocking. I figured Paycheck Pat would try to beat Barkers 50 years on TV
So maybe that silly nickname wasn’t warranted?

Offline jude_este

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Camp Old School Sci-Fi
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2023, 08:05:47 PM »
According to Deadline Hollywood, following his retirement next season, Pat will still have three years left on his contract as a consulting producer.
https://deadline.com/2023/06/wheel-of-fortune-host-pat-sajak-retire-41-seasons-1235415096/

Offline TinoStar11

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2023, 08:10:45 PM »
The new host search going to be harder to find the perfect person  , when Vanna retires , they probably just replace her with Pat's daughter Maggie.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2023, 08:19:35 PM »
In my honest opinion, it shouldn't be that difficult.  It's not going to be easy nor should it.  Replacing a legend has never been a simple task.

To be honest, they don't need to find the "perfect person" for WoF.  Just someone that fits in with the show, has pretty good chemistry with the cast, and can relate to the contestants / make them feel comfortable.

Unlike Jeopardy & TPIR, I don't know whether the successor is someone that is a decent bet to host for the long-run.  FWIW, I'm not going to know or obtain a sense until I see the show over time
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2023, 08:30:40 PM »
Memories of Halloween 2006 are flooding back to me, when Bob announced his retirement. After the passing of Alex Trebek, this left Pat Sajak as the lone link to my upbringing of game shows throughout my life, and with this announcement, it's like a giant piece of my fading youth has landed on Bankrupt. And its interesting that I was watching a couple episodes of Chuck Woolery's Scrabble from 1993 today, Pat's predecessor, so it will be interesting to see if he still will provide an announcement upon Pat's retirement.

Wheel of Fortune is the earliest know show that there's circumstantial evidence of myself watching, thanks to a photo that's hidden deep inside my house of me in a walker where the category was TITLE, and back at a time when contestants actually shopped for the prizes they won. By the time my memory had become clear enough to watch on a day to day basis, the shopping era had left primetime Wheel, but it would become a ritual for decades, taking it very seriously throughout the 1990s and early 2000s before the Million Dollar Wedge  and the declining enthusiasm in the audience made me feel like something was missing, while sister show Jeopardy! stole the crown for being the most relevant among the two shows.

Expect a tough ticket in town when Season 41 filming begins in about six weeks.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2023, 08:41:40 PM by pannoni1 »
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2023, 10:49:26 PM »
I'm surprised he made the decision so early before the next season begins taping, but of course it's a decision that has been in the waiting for at least a couple years now. Like him or hate him, Pat's run as host of the show is simply incredible and it's hard to imagine anyone else hosting the show.

Offline Renny

• In the Audience
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2023, 01:54:33 AM »
End of an era indeed. Pat is the last remaining from the "old-school" generation of game show hosts who is still going.
"You realize... We are in the presence of a miracle!" - Bob Barker

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2023, 08:08:42 AM »
Guessing Maggie Sajak has been groomed and will be in the running for her father’s job.

Right now at least I consider her the front runner.

Brian

Offline Reloaden

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2023, 10:46:11 AM »
Going to be an interesting season to see who takes over Wheel and if Vanna will stay on for one more season to help make the transition smoother or not.

i would love to see Mark L. Walberg take over.

Offline jude_este

• Camp Old School Sci-Fi
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2023, 10:55:48 AM »
Pat’s daughter, Maggie, has expressed her thoughts about her father in this Instagram Story.

And TVLine picked up on a tweet from Bloomberg reporter Lucas Shaw about Ryan Seacrest being among the frontrunners to succeed Pat, though there is no comment from Ryan Seacrest about this rumor.

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2023, 11:07:59 AM »
To be honest, they don't need to find the "perfect person" for WoF.  Just someone that fits in with the show, has pretty good chemistry with the cast, and can relate to the contestants / make them feel comfortable.

I agree wholeheartedly with this comment.

Here's the thing: On social media, there's already a certain group who are suggesting that, when Pat's final show airs – likely, sometime in early June 2024 – the Wheel should stop spinning ... forever. (Ergo, the show should be cancelled, everyone says their goodbyes, the studio disassembled and its pieces put in a museum or somewhere, and the idea of first run-WOF should never be spoken of again ... ever.)

Just the same as when Bob Barker announced his retirement, in that TPiR should end (and perhaps one last big show with the ultimate prizes offered, etc.), or after Alex Trebek's passing that Jeopardy! should have ended. A common reason is that no one else could ever host their favorite show and that (fill in the blank) will fail miserably or become a completely different show (and not in a good way) after the legend's departure/last show. One poster even implied Richard Dawson's last ABC/(original version) syndicated show should have been the last we ever saw of first-run "Family Feud" (although I think he was thinking more of Steve Harvey being the host rather than his immediate 1999 version predecessors).

But, going along the lines of what SeaBreeze said, remember that at one time, the legends of TPiR and Jeopardy! were the newcomers, and there were people I'm sure asking if they could ever fill the shoes of the hosts that came before them. For Price, remember that – despite its different format – memories of Bill Cullen and his version of Price were likely still relatively fresh in viewers' minds in 1972.

A few early histories of the Trebek version – including, IIRC, Harry Eisenberg's book "Jeopardy!: A Revealing Look Inside TV's Top Quiz Show" – had some excerpts from newspapers reviewing "Jeopardy!" shortly after its premiere, and how the press contacted Art Fleming to get his opinion. I'm sure there were some older viewers who wanted Art back and that it was a grave mistake to invite a relatively young host to helm a program fit for only Art Fleming.

Shows what they know.

A lot of us have gotten comfortable with Drew Carey as host of Price. It's still some getting used to with the Ken Jennings-Myiam Balik tandem on Jeopardy!, but as I see it it's going smoothly.

The same will happen with Wheel, when a new host – be it Maggie Sajak, Vanna White or someone else – takes over. Proof came on December 28, 1981, when a young man from Nashville took over for a show thought to be Chuck Woolery's exclusive domain.

Brian

Offline C8

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2023, 12:19:35 PM »
And TVLine picked up on a tweet from Bloomberg reporter Lucas Shaw about Ryan Seacrest being among the frontrunners to succeed Pat, though there is no comment from Ryan Seacrest about this rumor.

Oh dear.

So as not to drag the thread down I'll save my thoughts on Seacrest other than to say he's not at all my first (or even middle) pick for the role.

I was thinking it would be perfect to let Mayim to take Jeopardy when she frees up to do it and I thought Ken would slip nicely into Wheel. He's got the right energy and humor for it. Unorthodox? Yes. But also this will need to be an unorthodox pick. The unfortunate trend in game show hosting is that producers feel the need to hire someone with name recognition who can maybe host the show rather than someone who can host the show who develops name recognition for the quality of the show (see: Sajak, Pat).

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2023, 12:58:43 PM »
The TV Line piece sounds like Seacrest’s publicity team doing what it those teams do—keeping their client’s name out there and dropping “insider” hints to a click-hungry press. Of course, he’s hardly out of the public eye, but that’s the point. His brand is being everywhere, and “sources” calling him a front runner more than a year out just perpetuates that, whether or not he really is.

Could it be him? Sure. The show could get several years of mileage out of that before he moved on to whatever’s next. But I don’t there is going to be an “unconventional” pick, just a pick that’s in line with entertainment realities in 2023…or 2024…not 1984, when Merv might pluck whoever struck his fancy.

The model of bringing in people with some solid name recognition is pretty well established now, and there’s no reason for Sony to deviate from that.