Author Topic: upset over media's coverage of Bob's last show  (Read 6544 times)

Offline mlh1981

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Re: upset over media's coverage of Bob's last show
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2007, 01:02:11 PM »
I did change the channel, just so you know.

And yes, in this day and age, I am glad that this is being covered at all.  Maybe I just overreacted, but the bottom line is, people need to do their research better.  Don't give out false airdates.  No excuse.

I just don't trust the media anymore.

Offline CBSpromoman

• Double Showcase Winner
    • Patrick’s Place
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2007, 01:14:53 PM »

mlh1981 wrote:
I did change the channel, just so you know.

And yes, in this day and age, I am glad that this is being covered at all.  Maybe I just overreacted, but the bottom line is, people need to do their research better.  Don't give out false airdates.  No excuse.

I just don't trust the media anymore.

So now I'm confused:  if you DID change the channel, how were you spoiled?

I'm not saying you overreacted or that your reaction is unreasonable:  I'm just asking you to define some of your complaints.  

I agree that the media should get the facts straight.  But you must also keep in mind that many media outlets subscribe to services like the Associated Press:  if the AP gets it wrong (or is given wrong information from a Network PR person), that wrong information is going to be released by numerous media outlets.  That's why I asked how many media outlets you encountered reporting it wrong.  How many did you come across that got it wrong:  how many is "many?"

As for the number of episodes, how important a detail that is depends on how big a fan of the show you are.  That's why I asked you to describe what you saw that was so incorrect.  For example, if someone reported that Bob taped "more than 6,500 shows," or "more than 6,000 shows," either is accurate, though it may not be pinpointed down to the specific number; most people couldn't care less about the specific number, so it's not something that a reporter is likely to spend a lot of time waiting to get if their source doesn't have that information readily available.  What got reported that you have a problem with?

A lot of people don't trust the media.  As someone who works IN the media, I'm curious to know more about those complaints beyond the generalizations.  

It's NOT that I want to attempt to make excuses; I just want to point out that there are often reasons why things are covered the way they're covered that has absolutely NOTHING to do with the competence, dedication or agenda of those who are covering the story.
Visit my blog: Patrick's Place

Offline Madonna

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2007, 01:16:49 PM »
I'm not surprised about the spoilers. Spoilers from the season premiere leaked out in the press before September 18, so I figured we'd see even more for this show.

But I'm with you on the lack of research. Being totally wrong on the number of episodes (I don't expect them to be exactly right, but let's try to be within 500, okay?), totally wrong on how many years it's been for this TPIR (it's on the doors/logo for this season!), and the airdate for the finale is frustrating.

But lack of research and/or blatant ignorance does not shock me from the media. I've seen more than my share of it over the years. :confused:
In loving and eternal memory of a truly beautiful goddess.

Offline FPGWillyT

• 12/22/2006
  • FPG Host & TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2007, 02:12:23 PM »
I gotta agree with CBSPromoman here.

IF YOU DON'T WANNA KNOW, DONT LOOK FOR EM AND DONT WATCH EM!!!

Interesting tidbit I never knew until this morning.

I ran into a CBS employee while outside my hotel room at the BevInn (now officially a dump) and he noticed my TPiR sweatshirt and we got to talking how he worked on the 2nd floor of 7800.

He told me yesterday was VERY VERY special for them because the taping itself, which prior to that point was NEVER EVER shown, was in fact shown LIVE throughout the building on a CC-type system.  He said that all of the shows being taped could be viewed like this all the time before, but until that final day, IT HAD NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE.

Kinda cool huh?

I too am now a celebrity of sorts.  I'm scheduled for another radio interview tomorrow morning on an Atlanta GA station to talk about my expriences.

Offline Ton80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2007, 04:42:05 PM »
Are you kidding me?  Someone with a little persistence on the internet could really clean up on FPG, GRECO, and CSS next week!!

Seriously, who didn't know that the media coverage was going to be what it was (or is)??  Short of turning off the TV for a full week, and disconnecting the internet, it's almost impossible to NOT see some spoiler somewhere.  I'll take it all in stride, and be happy that I got to see thousands of "unspoiled" episodes and only a couple of "spoiled" ones.
Quote from: PriceFanArmadillo
Ton80 is also a three-time Sarcasm Cup champion.

Offline mlh1981

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2007, 06:44:09 PM »
Lemme state that I didn't watch any of the media clips that showed spoilers.  In fact, I have tried to avoid them.  In all honesty, though, I didn't realize that through the history of the show, that they have typically shown some spoiler clips, so I am in the wrong as far as that goes.  Lack of information on my part.

I am making the transition from being a very casual followed of the show to being more of a diehard, so there are things that I don't know that others might.  Once I heard that this was Bob's last season, I freaked out and stopped taking it for granted.  I tape/watch it everyday.

As far as the facts go, I can't report specific ones that were wrong.  I just heard some general things that seemed inaccurate.  At the very least, they should get the airing date right.  The other stuff might be less important.

Offline fortify1

• Outside in Line
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2007, 07:10:06 PM »

CBSpromoman wrote:
Didn't want to know anything?  So when you saw teases and promos about "our cameras go inside Barker's last show" or "our crews are there for his final taping," why did you not CHANGE THE CHANNEL immediately?  There is an implication there that something COULD be spoiled.  Whenever a big event at 'Price' gets coverage, something almost always IS spoiled.  Why would you assume that NOTHING would be spoiled in a moment as "historic" as this one?

Here's what CBS should have done ... they could have allowed the press in to take shots of whatever they wanted. However, CBS should have made everyone sign agreements that shots of the actual show itself (meaning the one-bid rounds, the pricing games, showcase showdowns and showcases) are embargoed until the show airs on the 15th. They could air shots of the audience chats during their commercial breaks, people on the lines, post-show interwiews with Bob ... but nothing that has to do with the meat of the show could be shown.

Now granted, the spoilers would not keeping all the die hard fans from watching the last episode, and the ratings won't be affected by the footage that is out in public view. It's just that the suspense of the actual game would be gone.

Offline pbarrett

• 6/15/2007
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2007, 08:35:03 PM »
Still in LA? Let go out for dinner!

Phil

Offline PIR85

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2007, 11:43:52 PM »
I do know that the Today Show (NBC) incorrectly identified next Wednesday as Bob's last first-run epsiode.  Even while Bob was on the line, though, he did not correct Mr. Lauer.  Kind of strange.

Offline CBSpromoman

• Double Showcase Winner
    • Patrick’s Place
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2007, 11:48:20 PM »

fortify1 wrote:
Lemme state that I didn't watch any of the media clips that showed spoilers. In fact, I have tried to avoid them. In all honesty, though, I didn't realize that through the history of the show, that they have typically shown some spoiler clips, so I am in the wrong as far as that goes. Lack of information on my part.

I don't think you're in the wrong at all.  That's not what I was saying.  If you're not as familiar with the history of such backstage coverage, then naturally you'd be a little more upset than those of us who've seen this sort of thing happen before.

PIR85 wrote:
I do know that the Today Show (NBC) incorrectly identified next Wednesday as Bob's last first-run epsiode. Even while Bob was on the line, though, he did not correct Mr. Lauer. Kind of strange.

I'm not trying to turn this into a discussion of media criticism, but let me point out the strange part for someone who works in the media and is often amused by the constant criticism: the media is blamed for reporting false or incorrect information, even when they are misled or the facts are misrepresented.  In a case like this, the man himself DOESN'T correct the mistake, yet the media would be the only one most people would point the finger at.  See the double standard there?

fortify1 wrote:
Granted, the spoilers would not keeping all the die hard fans from watching the last episode, and the ratings won't be affected by the footage that is out in public view. It's just that the suspense of the actual game would be gone.

And that's really the whole point:  the diehard fans who'd sooner lose a limb than miss Barker's last original show could be sent a producer's rundown of every pricing game, all of the answers, and a listing of which contestants won and which didn't...and we'd STILL watch.

It's not ABOUT the suspense of the game on June 15th.  It's about seeing Barker do what he does like no one else one last time.
Visit my blog: Patrick's Place

Offline SecretChip

• TPiR Alumnus
  • 3/26/24 C.N.A.O.S Member
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2007, 06:10:28 PM »
My local station revealed who won the last showcase and what that person won. I would say more but I'd be spoiling it.

Offline Madonna

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2007, 01:42:55 AM »
The media has revealed quite a bit about this episode, no doubt about it. That said, even if they revealed ALL of it, I'm still watching it. This episode isn't about the games, or the prizes. It's about the end of an amazing era.

Hence why I may even be in chat Friday morning, even though I won't see the episode until an hour after the chat ends.
In loving and eternal memory of a truly beautiful goddess.

Offline dm

• Walking the Golden Road
    • My website
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2007, 10:08:21 AM »
As for cleaning up in FPG, forget it. It's done. (In more ways than one, as far as my family is concerned.)

Robair was at my house this week and did some digging, and he told me what all six pricing games were (a few real no-brainers for the last show, in fact) as well as many of the major prizes.

The spoilers are out there, but ultimately it's up to you how much you want to know about the last show. So don't blame the media! Bob Barker's retirement is a media-worthy event and as such they're going to get pictures of him with the last brace of contestants and the final prizes.

Offline dirtyd

• 11/18/2008
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2007, 01:57:06 AM »
its the media people! how can any of you be surprised? im not defending them, watch it or not it is bulloney they couldnt save the spoilers.

ill tell ya, they sure had us audience extra pumped just by being there.

side note...professional photographers have no courtesy. of course, in LA, where paparazzi run like rats through the streets, i shouldnt be surprised...but the massive amount of photogs on stage was ludicrous. for crying out loud, DOWN IN FRONT! the audience sleeps on the cold streets with said rats running the fences, and you photo bozos cant get on one knee. grr. whats up left speaker crew, you know what im talking about.
Speramus Meliora; Resurget Cineribus

Offline BarkerBrawny

• In the Audience
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2007, 10:52:57 PM »
Maddona wrote:
I'm with you on the lack of research. Being totally wrong on the number of episodes (I don't expect them to be exactly right, but let's try to be within 500, okay?), totally wrong on how many years it's been for this TPIR (it's on the doors/logo for this season!), and the airdate for the finale is frustrating.

But lack of research and/or blatant ignorance does not shock me from the media. I've seen more than my share of it over the years.

Here's some more for you.  On the eve of Bob's last show, one of my local papers (the south side's very own Daily Southtown) has joined the Lack-of-Research Club.  Here's a few of the blurbs:

In a quick sidebar called "One the Numbers":

Bob Barker  "Barring a last-minute change... Bob Barker is hanging up his microphone for good" ... "but says he would happily return... if a replacement host isn't found by the time the new season starts in the fall."

6,586 "Episodes taped since the show was brought back in 1972"  Doh!

14  "Emmy Awards won by Bob in his 35 years as host."

And the piece d'resistance?  It's what I'll call The Rodney Dangerfield Award
(for geting No Respect):

2  "Announcers in the show's 35 years, Johnny Olson and Rod Roddy."

Say it ain't so! How could they do that to Rich?  Oh, the humanity!
Bob and TPiR deserved better.