Author Topic: 2023 NFL Season  (Read 18878 times)

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
  • 67 years of The Price Is Right
Re: 2023 NFL Season
« Reply #180 on: January 29, 2024, 07:40:31 AM »
I'll be asleep myself as I work early that Monday AM. And besides, I don't feel like seeing you-know-who virtually every time Travis Kelce makes a play.
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #181 on: January 29, 2024, 08:31:39 AM »
The mere fact that a number of brief shots you can count on your fingers with plenty left over seems to annoy people who never felt the need to complain about the countless other camera shots that are employed between plays annoys so many people is more than enough reason to jump on the Chiefs bandwagon. While pulling off a trip to Vegas after her concert in Japan would be tough, if she's willing to do it, more power to her. And CBS, I beg of you, do a split screen the entire game with her. Make those heads explode.  :D :D :D

Offline Superballer

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #182 on: January 29, 2024, 10:21:30 AM »
If the 49ers win it all, it might be time to at least unofficially give them the America's Team moniker whether Jerry Jones likes it or not, as they'll have had far more sustained high-level success than the Cowboys over the long term. 

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #183 on: January 29, 2024, 08:36:46 PM »
If the 49ers win it all, it might be time to at least unofficially give them the America's Team moniker whether Jerry Jones likes it or not, as they'll have had far more sustained high-level success than the Cowboys over the long term.

I disagree.  It is a fact that San Francisco has accomplished more over the past 15 years, but I would past that onto New England before anybody else.

It is great how the Niners have re-entered the championship contender category, but even the NFC West Champions have had their negative & sad moment over the past quarter century.

Regardless, the America's Team thing for Dallas can be done away with.  That I can agree.  It doesn't even need to take a 49ers win for that to take place
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Online b_masters8

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #184 on: January 30, 2024, 04:57:22 AM »
And I just thought about it the other day, and hindsight being 20/20, I can't feel too badly, because I did get a couple of things I wanted (even if Detroit is still not in the Super Bowl): the Texas Rangers did win the World Series, and Alabama did not win the National Championship of college football.

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #185 on: January 30, 2024, 07:51:50 AM »
Average price for a ticket to SB58: $10,000. A secondary market ticket averages around $42,000.
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline TPIR_rules

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #186 on: January 30, 2024, 04:33:09 PM »
I think San Francisco will win the Super Bowl in a couple of weeks.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #187 on: January 30, 2024, 10:58:55 PM »
Record ratings ahead of the 58th Annual Super Bowl.

Well, at least for the AFC Title Game.  Still the first time both games went over 50 Million in a decade.  Most ever in the AFC, and most in quite awhile in the NFC.  A year removed from not breaking the all the TV viewer record for the 4th consecutive time, the following Super Bowl (XLVIII) set a new mark (that lasted 52 weeks) despite the lopsided outcome.  We'll see what happens especially if it's a close game

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #188 on: January 31, 2024, 02:52:58 PM »
Mike MacDonald to succeed Pete Carroll as Seahawks Head Coach

With the above hire, that probably would have be it in terms of addressing all of the head-coaching vacancies.  However, Lions OC Ben Johnson opted to stay with Detroit, which is very good news for the NFC North Champions.  Washington is still without a new head coach, and I don't know who'll get that spot.

I expected one of the Ravens coordinators to leave Baltimore, especially MacDonald.  Given how long they were in the season before it ended on Sunday, add the HC vacancies and everything added up.  Until today's news if I had to guess, I'd have guessed Mike going to Washington and then Cowboys DC Dan Quinn leaving Dallas to go back to Seattle, this time as a HC.  Of course, their performance a couple weeks back might've cost him.

Pretty much all of the front office spot have been addressed.  There is still a vacancy in New England, but if one were to call the GM spot just that, so be it.  I think they'll be fine in terms of the Draft and picking new players for 2024; I wouldn't be surprised if that position is truly eliminated

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #189 on: February 04, 2024, 02:46:32 PM »
A week till SB58 has the line now with the Niners giving 2 and the over/under at 47.5. The analytics favor San Fran, but the public betting line heavily favors the Chiefs (67% to 33% for the Niners).
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #190 on: February 04, 2024, 06:18:26 PM »
I think I'd have been more concerned if around 90% of the money was going toward the Chiefs.  I probably will not be decided in terms of who I'll pick until the end of the week.  Despite the public betting line favoring Kansas City, it's only a 2-to-one margin.  I don't think that's too bad.  It's twice as much since KC has the better HC & much better QB, while San Francisco didn't look great so far.  They still have an overall better roster & found a way to win, but the venue & rest was far from nothing

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #191 on: February 05, 2024, 02:17:59 PM »
Apparently MacDonald getting the Seahawks HC job instead of Dan Quinn wasn't a big deal after all.  The latter ends up filling the final vacancy as he succeeds Ron Rivera as the Washington Commanders Head Coach (instead of Mike MacDonald).

The above took place late last week.  Dan is expected to be introduced today if he hasn't already been introduced.  That is a big deal.  Probably the end of the McCarthy era in Dallas by this time next year.  I wouldn't be surprised if the other 3 teams in this division have someone new as the head coach around this time 18 months from now

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #192 on: February 06, 2024, 02:17:19 PM »
Line is now 1.5 (MGMBet says it's still 2) and the O/U remains 47.5. 49ers Christian McCaffrey is the favorite to score the first touchdown (a $10 bet here nets only $4.44), with the Chiefs' Isiah Pacheco second favorite. San Francisco is 5-2 in Super Bowls; Kansas City is 3-1 although their wins have been more recent. Public Bet is now 63% to 37% in favor of the Chiefs.
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #193 on: February 06, 2024, 10:41:58 PM »
FanDuel currently has the line at 2.5.  Side note: There's a place elsewhere that took the whole week before choosing a line to go with in terms of their annual contest (they always do).  They went with the line the second it was 1.5.  So I'll be sorta pissed off (not really) if San Francisco wins by 2.  I'm just fortunate that the line didn't swing toward Chiefs -2.0 (more or less at the very least).

As is the custom, I'll let practice be my guide.  After what happened nine years ago, it makes no sense choosing someone this early, especially in a coin-flip of a game.  JMO.  It's tough to go against Patrick Mahomes, but it's pretty difficult right now to pick against a team that was picked before the season began

Offline GRWHAMMY the 2nd

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #194 on: February 08, 2024, 12:26:35 PM »
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/super-bowl-2024-spongebob-squarepants-to-recreate-sweet-victory-performance-before-game-on-nickelodeon/  as i alluded to in the recap thread for the Super Bowl special last night, Nickelodeon is finally bringing Sweet Victory from the classic "Band Geeks" episode of Spongebob to their broadcast of the big game
« Last Edit: February 08, 2024, 12:36:14 PM by GRWHAMMY the 2nd »