Author Topic: Could Bob Barker return?  (Read 16335 times)

Offline mlh1981

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Re: Could Bob Barker return?
« Reply #60 on: June 17, 2007, 07:14:26 PM »
I hope he doesn't return, as he retired at the very top of his game.  The people who though that they were a part of history when they went to his last show would feel ripped off.  Plus, he DESERVES the chance to take a break.  He's worked hard for many years.  

Change is always hard.  We are used to him walking through those doors every weekday morning at 11.  We knew that this was going to happen sooner or later.  Lets just embrace the new host.  While they won't be Bob, they will bring their own style to the table, and the show will continue to thrive, I feel.

Offline COINBOYNYC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #61 on: June 17, 2007, 10:34:02 PM »

rairity wrote:
Let him return for some UNDETERMINED number of episodes. Do NOT announce or even plan his last appearance . . . There does NOT need to be an official last day. “Oh look,  Bob Barker’s on again, great. Wonder if this is his last time?”

That's a very good idea!  The only problem is that, in order for any of Bob's appearances to be a true surprise for the viewers, the entire studio audience might have to be sworn to secrecy (non-disclosure agreements, &c.), AND CBS would also have to agree to keep mum and not promote any future Bob appearances.
Fun fact: Evelyn Wong, the 5th person to be called on the first show (9/4/72), was actually the very first contestant to directly be called to come on down!  The original first four (Sandy Flornor, Paul Levine, Connie Donnel, Myra Carter) were individually told to stand up, and then, as a group, were invited to come on down.

Offline COINBOYNYC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #62 on: June 17, 2007, 10:41:05 PM »

milepost72 wrote:
This may be a long shot but there is one name nobody so far has mentioned . . . Chuck Woolery.

I suppose he's worth a try... I'm not all that keen on him right now, but I think that's because I don't care for "Lingo."

milepost72 wrote:
Just imagine as the Clock Game turns back around on the turntable, Chuck looks at the camera and does his trademark gesture saying, "Showcase Showdown, right back at ya, two-and-two."

That would be kinda cool, actually. :-)
Fun fact: Evelyn Wong, the 5th person to be called on the first show (9/4/72), was actually the very first contestant to directly be called to come on down!  The original first four (Sandy Flornor, Paul Levine, Connie Donnel, Myra Carter) were individually told to stand up, and then, as a group, were invited to come on down.

Offline pohlmacs

• TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #63 on: June 17, 2007, 10:44:55 PM »

mlh1981 wrote:
I hope he doesn't return, as he retired at the very top of his game.  The people who though that they were a part of history when they went to his last show would feel ripped off.  Plus, he DESERVES the chance to take a break.  He's worked hard for many years.  

Change is always hard.  We are used to him walking through those doors every weekday morning at 11.  We knew that this was going to happen sooner or later.  Lets just embrace the new host.  While they won't be Bob, they will bring their own style to the table, and the show will continue to thrive, I feel.

Hear hear!

Offline mlh1981

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #64 on: June 18, 2007, 02:00:56 PM »
Just don't become the Roger Clemens of game show hosts, and retire/unretire 4 times (I dunno if it's really 4--I've lost count).

Bob is too classy to do that, though.