Author Topic: 2023 College Football Season  (Read 12043 times)

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
Re: 2023 College Football Season
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2023, 05:39:28 PM »
I don't think I'm touching a game that involves Georgia.  I was fortunate that the line was a legit one last Saturday at 42.  That's obviously not the case, and it's more likely than not that South Carolina will lose by 26 or less
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Online Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
  • 67 years of The Price Is Right
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2023, 01:31:10 AM »
3:30 PM ET on CBS. Georgia is 0-2 vs. the line (it went to 42-1/2 vs. Ball State at game time), so I like the Gamecocks to cover as well.
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Online Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2023, 05:09:06 PM »
South Carolina is showing they're no cupcake, leading Georgia 14-3 at the half. S.C. QB Spencer Rattler is fearless.

And an update: Georgia wins 24-14. That makes them 0-3 against the spread. The line next week against Alabama-Birmingham will bear watching.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 06:53:58 PM by Ccook »
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Online Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2023, 02:31:32 PM »
New rankings are out with the top 5 as Georgia, Michigan, FSU, USC and Texas. In spite of winning yesterday, Alabama drops from 10 to 14, likely since they were supposed to crush South Florida only to win 17-7. Trailing early did not help. They're a 7-point pick vs. Ole Miss this Saturday (3:30 PM ET, CBS). Elsewhere, Georgia is giving 39 vs. UAB.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2023, 03:09:40 PM by Ccook »
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2023, 10:07:41 AM »
It's a pretty decent lineup for College Football this week unlike last week.  FWIW, it's a complete reversal between that and the NFL.  Today it's an awesome slate, while Sunday's NFL slate isn't good.  Last Saturday wasn't that interesting, but the NFL was (at least that's what it felt like with Red Zone).

If Colorado beats Oregon, then the following is moot...we'll never know how the outcome would or will play out if Hunter was available.  Same goes for USC, but TBF, Deion said that they haven't played a complete game yet

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2023, 12:30:35 PM »
Here is a list of why this week was much anticipated (courtesy of College Football insider Brett McMurphy)

No. 4 FSU at Clemson 12 ET ABC
No. 19 Colorado at No. 10 Oregon 3:30 ABC
No. 15 Ole Miss at No. 13 Bama 3:30 CBS
No. 22 UCLA at No. 11 Utah 3:30 FOX
No. 14 Oregon St at No. 21 Wash St 7 FOX
No. 24 Iowa at No. 7 Penn St 7:30 CBS
No. 6 Ohio St at No. 9 Notre Dame 7:30 NBC

Over a half-dozen ranked vs ranked games one week after there really weren't any

Online Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2023, 04:04:34 PM »
FSU-Clemson was a barnburner with Clemson K Jonathan Weitz shanking that FG attempt pretty much the deciding factor. Bouncing back and forth between Ole Miss-Bama and Colorado-Oregon.
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2023, 11:59:10 PM »
Alabama survives against Ole Miss.  LSU does the same over Arkansas.  Ohio State escapes South Bend.  Colorado were the victims of a blowout similar to Iowa, courtesy of Oregon & Penn State, respectively.  Unlike the Big 10 program, at least the Buffalos scored

Online Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2023, 01:43:49 AM »
Georgia wins again but they still haven't beaten the spread yet (final 49-21 vs. UAB). The early line with Auburn this upcoming  week (3:30 ET, CBS) has the Dawgs a 13-point road favorite. Auburn lost to Texas A&M yesterday. The 13 sounds like tempting candy.
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2023, 11:47:08 AM »
USC is giving 25.5 in Week 5.  Colorado hosts them.  I might stay away from that game.  The only thing that makes that pick difficult is the venue.  USC will win by a lot I think, but maybe not by 26 or more.  While I doubt Colorado will win out until Championship Weekend, I think they'll win at least most of their remaining games.  At the very least, I don't think they'll look as bad as they did in Eugene.

I did pick Oregon to win, but I still picked Colorado to cover.  21 is still a lot, especially when they beat TCU on the road.

What's next is where they'll be on the AP Poll if they are still there this time in a few hours.  Plus, whether FOX and company will abort their Big Noon Kickoff next week (they will not)

Online Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2023, 02:41:58 PM »
Oregon sits at #9 in the coaches' top 25. Georgia, Michigan, Ohio State, FSU and Texas take the top five spots. Colorado predictably has dropped out of the top 25.
--Michel de Montaigne

Online Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2023, 10:46:58 AM »
Georgia wins again but again the opposition (Auburn) covers. The Dawgs are 0-5 vs. the spread. They're giving 17 against Kentucky this week. If I had the cheddar to bet, I'd glomp me some of that 17.

Colorado gave it their best shot late vs. USC, but the Trojans played the onside kick perfectly. 

Top 25 for week 5 is out. Georgia, Michigan, Texas, Ohio State and FSU are the top five.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2023, 01:38:43 PM by Ccook »
--Michel de Montaigne

Online Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2023, 04:39:24 PM »
The money on Georgia-Kentucky has shifted to the Wildcats' direction as the line is now 14 and a hook. The Dawgs will have to avoid another slow start to prove them wrong.
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2023, 10:01:56 PM »
Man, Georgia will be the luckiest 3-peat team in sports history (at least recently).  As mentioned, they have the easiest schedule I've seen in a long time (the forecast prior to the season).   Unless they get better, they might be okay if they avoid really good teams in the playoff.  OTOH, if Alabama goes back to their tradition of beating them should the Tide make it, then I guess that'll be it for Georgia.

To be fair, it's not a shocker given all that they lost in the off-season, but Kentucky winning would not surprise me

Offline jude_este

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Camp Old School Sci-Fi
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2023, 03:52:50 PM »
In the Red River Showdown, the #12 ranked Oklahoma Sooners continue their winning streak by snapping the winning streak of the #3 ranked Texas Longhorns by winning 34-30; with this loss for the Longhorns, it will be interesting to see the top five list come tomorrow.