Author Topic: 2023 College Football Season  (Read 12085 times)

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
Re: 2023 College Football Season
« Reply #150 on: January 02, 2024, 12:26:55 AM »
Looks like it's be Washington losing to facing Michigan for the 2024 National Title.

Despite Alabama's loss, I still think the committee got it right.  Florida State wasn't winning regardless of their opt outs.  I understand their frustrations but more inferior teams over the years won their meaningless bowl games to show their case that they deserved a shot
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
  • 67 years of The Price Is Right
« Reply #151 on: January 02, 2024, 06:09:27 AM »
Early line has Michigan giving 4-1/2 and the power index gives them a 74.3% chance of winning. Let's see how the money fluctuates between now and Monday night.
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline Gerald78

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #152 on: January 02, 2024, 11:55:59 AM »
Go Huskies!  Luv being the underDOGS  :-D

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #153 on: January 08, 2024, 07:32:26 PM »
It appears that the final spread is Michigan being favored at 5.5 over Washington.  That's a full point over the opening line.  Even if it hadn't closed at 5.5 in favor of the Big 10 & Rose Bowl Champions, I would have stuck with the Wolverines for the win.  For what it's worth, there was a forecast early on New Year's Day that had Michigan favored by 7.5 over Washington.  This was before the CFB Playoff semis started.

I could totally see Washington winning outright, and even if that doesn't happen, they'll fall short to where they cover.  Earlier in the season I had Michigan losing to LSU.  While I often stick with the team I picked preseason, I probably don't stick with the losing team I picked preseason.  Especially one that conquered Ohio State to close winning a half dozen games sans their head coach.  Washington can score; Michigan can succeed offensively too.  They're great defensively; at least most times Washington didn't need to stop anyone.  I don't know if a see them doing so to the point of victory.

I don't think it'll be a 65-7 victory for Michigan, or even a 42-20 score.  I feel like a great game closing with Michigan winning with room to spare (meaning one more max score from the Pac-12 & Sugar Bowl champions pull to within 3 but no tie game).

So if all goes well for Michigan, you'll see the CFB Four-Team Era end the way it started.  A Big 10 school knocking off Alabama before a game where they won the Natty after defeating a Pac-12 program.

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
« Reply #154 on: January 08, 2024, 11:15:20 PM »
Hail! to the victors valiant
Hail! to the conqu'ring heroes
Hail! Hail! to Michigan
The leaders and best!
Hail! To the victors valiant
Hail! to the conqu'ring heroes
Hail! Hail! to Michigan
The champions of the West!
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #155 on: January 09, 2024, 04:37:46 AM »
The final AP poll has been released, and the top 5 are:
1. Michigan
2. Washington
3. Texas
4. Georgia
5. Alabama

Oregon and FSU tie for sixth with Missouri, Ole Miss and Ohio State following.
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #156 on: January 09, 2024, 07:50:15 AM »
Here's the annual Way Too Early Top 25 for 2024, courtesy of ESPN.

Georgia, Texas, Oregon, Alabama, and Ohio State headline the early forecast.  Michigan as the champions not being among the Top 5 is accurate IMO (they're sixth for the record).  With speculation of their head coach, many players exiting, and more expected to move on with a Harbaugh exit, it makes sense not to rank them at the top.  ESPN did make mention of the expected departures and Jim's future with the team as it relates to either an extension or a return to the NFL

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #157 on: January 10, 2024, 05:20:29 PM »
The 2023 College Football Season concludes not just with Michigan's big win, but a bigger story:

Nick Saban is retiring from the game.  Six Titles at Alabama plus his 2003 LSU title.  What a run.

Online TinoStar11

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #158 on: January 10, 2024, 07:59:00 PM »
Nick Saban is retiring from the game.  Six Titles at Alabama plus his 2003 LSU title.  What a run.

The irony of today's show having a contestant during the SS saying "Roll Tide" 

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #159 on: January 12, 2024, 03:57:32 PM »
Kalen DeBoer, HC for the Huskies, has been tapped to be the new Alabama HC.
--Michel de Montaigne