Author Topic: 2023 College Football Season  (Read 11996 times)

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
Re: 2023 College Football Season
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2023, 05:02:36 PM »
Georgia & Michigan still have games to play, and Florida State has to finish theirs.  However, I imagine that Texas will still be a Top 10 program, but Penn State replaces them in the Top 5
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
  • 67 years of The Price Is Right
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2023, 04:05:52 AM »
Georgia finally shows they were the team they thought they were with a 51-13 whupping of Kentucky. Carson Beck threw for 389, 4 TDs, was sacked once but never picked.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2023, 04:17:18 AM by Ccook »
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2023, 10:53:41 AM »
For those that may or may not have caught the Miami/Georgia Tech game, if you wanted to see an example of someone saying "No Thanks!" to winning, you got your wish within that ACC Matchup.

I'm trying to wrap my head around that mess (Final Score: Georgia Tech 23, Miami 20).  In other words, I'm trying to come up with something that defends that scenario that led to that outcome.  Even though there really isn't a defense for it.  I'll admit I didn't hear the coach's press conference after the game, since it would be nothing more than excuses there.  However, I can see how he and whomever else thought that Georgia Tech had another timeout prior to that 3rd down play.  So, they'll run another play, Tech will use the final timeout, and then Miami gets a chance at more points.

That being said, explaining why it could've happened is worse than not knowing the full picture.  I can't control the outcome (which should have been Hurricanes winning 20-17 with the game clinched during their final set of downs); Miami should've taken a knee long ago in that game.  Hasselbeck wasn't in shock, based on the sound of his voice upon the turnover.  It was more on the level of disappointment on why the U didn't take a knee, coupled with why they ran that bad of a play in lieu of victory formations to run out the clock.  TBH, I didn't watch the game live so I don't know if Wes or whoever was on the call with Tim was commenting on why Miami didn't end things early on when they were home free.  On another note, there was another game early in the day where someone else was running plays when they didn't need to, so this result was bound to happen.

Oh well.  That's too bad for the U.  Now they'll drop, but I'll know in a few hours if it's an outright drop from the Rankings, meaning North Carolina gets yet another unranked opponent next Saturday

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2023, 02:09:50 PM »
Miami  drops out of the ESPN rankings but is at #25 in CBS Sports'. With their loss to Oklahoma, Texas drops from #3 to #11. The top five are Georgia, Michigan, Ohio State, Florida State and Penn State.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2023, 02:33:33 PM by Ccook »
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2023, 10:55:11 PM »
Looks like the AP Poll kept Miami ranked.  They'll be out for good unless they rebound in a big way (road win in North Carolina).

Speaking of the AP Poll, Oklahoma is actually 5th there, with Penn State & Washington down one spot (compared to the Coaches Poll, where the Sooners are 7th there)

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2023, 06:11:21 AM »
Colorado takes a 29-0 lead at halftime vs. Stanford then wets the bed in the second half. The Cardinals win in 2OT, 46-43. It is the biggest blown lead in Colorado history. Deion at the presser afterwards commented "We're not made for the moment."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2023, 04:13:54 PM »
Georgia again wins but fails to cover the line (1-6 now vs.) as they beat Vanderbilt 37-20. Carson Beck loses a fumble and throws a pick, and TE Brock Bowers leaves the game early with an ankle injury.

Elsewhere, Alabama survives a Razorback upset attempt, defeating them 24-21.
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2023, 10:23:48 PM »
Pretty decent battle between Oregon and Washington, though the former was unsuccessful in its attempt to play "not to lose" late in the game.  Before that, they did try to win with some insurance in-case they did not convert on 4th down.  There was plenty of time to tie or win, but people were not pleased with the Ducks settling for overtime.  It sorta went off of what Dan Lanning said prior to their rout over Colorado.

Nevertheless, the games featuring North Carolina & USC aren't over yet, and then there's Alabama.  However, I don't think it's super easy to drop Oregon following a loss on the road to a higher ranked team (and both were undefeated).  You drop Oregon to make room for someone below them, but there isn't a clear program that can jump ahead of Oregon TBH

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2023, 11:47:39 AM »
Projections for week 8 of the AP poll has Washington breaking into the top 5 at #5 while Alabama stays in 11th spot with Oregon at #10.

Update: The AP poll is out with Oregon at 11. Alabama jumps up to #8 (tied with Texas).
« Last Edit: October 15, 2023, 01:04:07 PM by Ccook »
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2023, 03:55:16 PM »
Georgia TE Brock Bowers will be out of action up to six weeks after having surgery on the ankle he injured Saturday in the Vanderbilt game. Kirby Smart has some planning to do before the Florida tilt next Saturday.
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2023, 10:57:46 PM »
Fortunately, Georgia's schedule is pretty easy enough to manage without Bowers.  Though I imagine they'll need help (from other conferences) for some playoff insurance

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2023, 11:42:05 AM »
A ton of great games, including 4 ranked vs ranked games.  That includes Tennessee/Alabama, Duke/Florida State, and Utah/USC.  Great stuff & probably enough to start some decent, significant movement within the Top 10 (and the first rankings of significance debut one week from Tuesday)

Early games are about 15-20 minutes away.  With Penn State & Ohio State (-4.5), I have the former winning outright.  Wouldn't be shocked if PSU hit the over on their own.

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2023, 02:04:47 PM »
They'll have to kick it up a notch in the second half. 10-6 Buckeyes at the half.
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #43 on: October 21, 2023, 02:25:08 PM »
I guess they'll do their best.  To be fair, this is the best defenses both teams have faced.  I didn't expect a 40 or 50 burger for PSU or even 30-40 for OSU.  However, I definitely didn't see or don't see either failing to reach North of 12 points.

Whatever happens, I can now pump the brakes on thinking Penn State has a chance to match/overtake the glory that was 2001 Miami, 2013 Florida State, 2019 LSU, or 1995 Nebraska

Offline Superballer

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2023, 09:23:35 PM »
Unless they get nailed over the allegations that they may have spied on their future opponents, Michigan currently looks like the overall team to beat, being well on their way at the moment to winning the Paul Bunyan Trophy and having excelled in almost every other game they've played so far in the end.  Ohio State as usual looks like their biggest challenge, so everyone get ready for Thanksgiving again. 

Alabama isn't done yet with their avenging of last year's loss to Tennessee in one of my personal favorite rivalries (one that really should get a trophy of some kind at some point), although they would have to beat LSU for serious consideration.