Author Topic: 2023 College Football Season  (Read 10577 times)

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
Re: 2023 College Football Season
« Reply #45 on: October 21, 2023, 09:29:16 PM »
Of course, Alabama still has to deal with Auburn in addition to LSU.  I think without Bowers, the Tide have a chance to get back into the dance.  They would have to win out or being Georgia again would be meaningless.  It might already be since I can't see a one-loss team (champ or not) getting in over an undefeated Power 5 conference champion.

There can only be one from those conference, but unless Oklahoma loses, no one is getting in from the SEC.  Rather it will not be easy; at least a couple teams are undefeated in the Big 10, the Pac 12, and the ACC (2 each minimum heading into October 21)
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
  • 67 years of The Price Is Right
« Reply #46 on: October 21, 2023, 09:45:51 PM »
A telling stat in Penn State's 20-12 loss to Ohio State: they were 0-12 on third down conversions. Squandered chances all over the place.
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline mellongraig

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #47 on: October 22, 2023, 12:22:54 AM »
Meanwhile the Minnesota Gophers won 12-10 over the Iowa Hawkeyes for the Floyd of Rosedale rivalry in Iowa for the first time since 1999 at Iowa, but not without controversy late in the 4th quarter over a punt return for a touchdown that was called back due to an invalid fair catch, and Iowa fans were not happy about it. Was it the right call? You be the judge.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #48 on: October 22, 2023, 10:29:38 AM »
Parity is a thing, though more in the NFL and less in College Football.  To make a point, one of last night's ACC games might have featured that.  Unless it's happened (IDK this second off the top of the head), North Carolina losing outright to Virginia might be the best example of an undefeated team losing (at home) to a winless team.  Minimum 5 games played each.  Rather the closest.  Virgina, this time 8 days ago, was in fact winless at 0-5 while UNC was 5-0 and moving on up in the rankings.

UVA did win for the first time before their big road upset against UNC 27-31, their first conference win FWIW.  Looked like North Carolina would survive after getting the ball back, but Maye turned it over.

So I misspoke earlier thinking that there were 2 undefeated teams in all of the major conferences (except the SEC and Big 12).  Washington beat Oregon last week while USC lost to Notre Dame before losing again.  My fault, but someone had to lose that game in the Northwest.  So, it does look like the SEC conference will be fine in terms of their attendance in the CFB Playoff.  At least it's not dire.  Felt like it, but there's still a ton of time left, and then you'll see someone pick off Washington, Oklahoma, while Georgia & Alabama survive.  It's just tradition.  Of course, the Huskies and/or Sooners might survive until championship weekend before losing there (likely to Oregon & Texas, respectively).

Penn State will fall for sure, but their drop, IMO, will not be as severe as North Carolina's fall.  UNC's loss was not good but they should not drop 16+ spots.  Virginia is nothing this year, but they're still an FBS program in the ACC

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #49 on: October 22, 2023, 01:22:50 PM »
Coaches poll has Penn State drop to 10. The top five spots are Georgia, Michigan, Ohio State, Florida State and Washington. We'll see what the writers poll (AP) says around 2 Eastern.
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #50 on: October 22, 2023, 02:12:50 PM »
AP poll is pretty much the same. Air Force, at #19, is the best undefeated team nobody's talking about at 7-0 and leading the Mountain West.
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #51 on: October 24, 2023, 11:03:41 PM »
AP poll is pretty much the same. Air Force, at #19, is the best undefeated team nobody's talking about at 7-0 and leading the Mountain West.

Probably no point in talking about Air Force, only because they could win out and someone other than Air Force will be celebrating in 2024 as the College Football National Champions (someone new, Alabama, or Georgia 7 their 3 peat)

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #52 on: October 27, 2023, 07:29:10 PM »
So it looks like Utah is getting 6.5 from Oregon.  That'll be a tough game to predict, but a decent game to tune into.  A 47.5 over/under total isn't easy either.  I can see the total being 47 since the Ducks are decent offensively while Utah is a great veteran like defense.

I'll stay away from Texas/BYU.  Without Ewers, that is a big wildcard, and it might have a big impact on the Final 4 come CBF Playoff time.  You just never know with Texas teams (speaking of which, Texas for the fall classic title in 5).  Of course, if Oklahoma wins out, it's a moot point

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #53 on: October 28, 2023, 04:42:12 PM »
Expect the Sooners to take a tumble. Kansas upsets them 38-33 in a game that went through a weather delay first quarter.
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #54 on: October 28, 2023, 06:27:08 PM »
Doesn't help that this occurred on the Saturday before the first College Football Playoff Rankings 3 days from now.  It doesn't help Texas either.  Then there's Alabama but on the other hand it's good news for the Tide as well as Georgia in the event the latter gets picked off.

We'll see if Washington can run the table (ditto FSU), but in the event they don't lose, the fear of the SEC being left out probably went away thanks to Kansas. 

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #55 on: October 28, 2023, 07:07:05 PM »
Georgia tops Florida 43-20. CBS Sports seems to think that when the playoff rankings come out Tuesday that Michigan will take the #1 spot.
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #56 on: October 29, 2023, 01:17:25 PM »
Oklahoma drops to #11 in the Coaches poll. Georgia, Michigan, Ohio State, Florida State and Washington hold the top five spots.

UPDATE: AP poll is the same.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2023, 02:11:24 PM by Ccook »
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #57 on: October 30, 2023, 10:57:44 PM »
Similar to the previous rankings, there are about a half dozen teams that swapped places between the Writers Poll & The Coaches Poll (Oregon/Texas : Ole Miss/Oklahoma : Tennessee/Oregon State).  The last 4 in are unique.

Something one would not read about when talking about the Top 25 in College Basketball is North Carolina AND Duke both dropping out in the same week.  Both ACC programs were replaced by Big XII programs (also decent hoops programs at the very least) in Kansas & Kansas State.  The coaches spared UNC with the Big XII Champion on the outside looking in (in 26th place).

While the only ranking that matters the most is being released 4 weeks from Sunday, I still cannot wait for the Halloween one.  It'll really show if the committee loves Georgia as much as everyone else.

The Bulldogs deserve the top spot despite their schedule & not looking as dominant right now.  However, I think it's 50/50 that they'll open as number one.  If they do?  Alright.  If not, it'll be a coin toss between Ohio State & Michigan, IMO.  Until recently I had Michigan at the top spot, but now I'm conflicted between them and OSU.  I can see either one, and from there, a second place spot with Georgia in 3rd.  Michigan looks impressive, but Ohio State's win over Penn State would be a very strong case as to why I'd put them in the top spot.  The news surrounding the Big 10 champions doesn't help I don't think.

It's a toss for Washington & Florida State for the final spot.  Though I'd lean Washington since they have that impressive win over a clear sixth place Oregon team.  FSU did beat LSU, and other schools.  LSU still has a second loss, but it was to Ole Miss, whose only loss was against Alabama.

Barring an upset (at least one), I imagine that whoever is left out between Washington & Florida State will get in following The Game.  If not, they'll move up permanently the following week following a conference championship game victory

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #58 on: October 31, 2023, 07:15:09 PM »
Ohio State tops first rankings.  Georgia, Michigan, and Florida State.  Washington & Oregon round out the Top Six

Texas, Alabama, Oklahoma, and Ole Miss complete the Top 10

Offline jude_este

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Camp Old School Sci-Fi
« Reply #59 on: November 04, 2023, 03:51:27 PM »
Despite a scare with a comeback from #23 Kansas State during the second half, where a touchdown by Kansas's Terrance Brooks tied the game 27-27, and a field goal by Longhorns's Bert Aburn breaking the tie that Kansas's Chris Tennant broke with a field goal with a second left in the 4th quarter, the #7 Longhorns narrowly won in overtime 33-30 against the Wildcats from a field goal by Auburn.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2023, 03:57:58 PM by jude_este »