Author Topic: “The Price is Right: A Tribute to Bob Barker” to air Thurs Aug 31 at 8 p.m. ET  (Read 9448 times)

Offline Trevor Tuominen

• In Contestant's Row
Loved the special. Just sucked that the Drew Carey wraparounds were the first Price media shot at the new studio.
Technically they did some episodes before Bob died. This is just the first aired Price media shot at Haven.
"Take your job seriously, but don't take yourself too seriously." - Alex Trebek, 1940-2020

Icon by Siahri!

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
I too watched the special presentation, and I'm glad they showed long segments of Bob presenting games with contestants and not just short clips. It really showed (again) how good he was at hosting, especially when audiences were quieter and better behaved.

Were his 20 years of hosting the Miss USA and Miss Universe pageants mentioned? I can't recall. I watched those also every year I can remember until he left.

Online ElectricPeterTork

• In Contestant's Row
I too watched the special presentation, and I'm glad they showed long segments of Bob presenting games with contestants and not just short clips. It really showed (again) how good he was at hosting, especially when audiences were quieter and better behaved.

Also, compared to later seasons in his era and especially now, Bob had time with the contestants that the current 37-38 minutes just doesn't allow. So everybody got to shine with a little more breathing room.
Repeat to yourself "It's just a show, I should really just relax."

Offline Blissey

• Walking the Golden Road

The primetime airing got tagged "coarse language"; I do suspect they'll bleep it for daytime.

Presumably because of the b-word in the Happy Gilmore clip...

Offline Blissey

Technically they did some episodes before Bob died. This is just the first aired Price media shot at Haven.

I stand corrected, then. Thanks.

Offline ThatDonGuy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Were his 20 years of hosting the Miss USA and Miss Universe pageants mentioned? I can't recall. I watched those also every year I can remember until he left.

No, and neither were his years co-hosting the Tournament of Roses Parade for CBS, as well as at least one Pillsbury Bake-Off.

One thing I would have liked to see: some mention about how Bob had to be talked into hosting TNPIR by Mark Goodson. IIRC, Bob wanted to host The Joker's Wild.

Also, it seemed like the tribute almost went out of its way not to include the original four models; for example, it aired the second time somebody crashed a car into the set, but not the first.

Offline Grammar-Nazi

• Beware my red pen....
It was more or less what I expected. Drew’s emotion was quite raw. It’s clear he loved Bob.

I had never seen the recliner clip — or, amazingly, the Ten Chances where they just gave away the prizes by error.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle." Garrison Keillor

Offline tpirfan28

• Double Showcase Winner
I *think* this is accurate, at the very least Bob's final "Bob Barker Historic Moment".

Bob has been the topic of two distinct Price episodes:  one that was not technically called The Price is Right (the 50 years special) that played Price is Right, and the other was called The Price is Right and played zero games.
They can be close at the top, too.
#42SP

Offline TPIRZippy

I *think* this is accurate, at the very least Bob's final "Bob Barker Historic Moment".

Bob has been the topic of two distinct Price episodes:  one that was not technically called The Price is Right (the 50 years special) that played Price is Right, and the other was called The Price is Right and played zero games.

An episode of TPIR with no gameplay may be a first for TPIR, but Wheel and Jeopardy both had their 4000th episodes as shows with no gameplay and all clips (and coincidentally both taped at Radio City Music Hall).  For TPIR, if there were going to be a time to stop for an episode and look back for the full hour, it seems right to be to remember Barker. 

Offline hyhybt

• Taking a Bonus Spin
I’m amazed they didn’t stop that Ten Chances game after at least the second reveal to make sure the car price was hidden.

Offline TPIRighteous

• Double Showcase Winner
Also, it seemed like the tribute almost went out of its way not to include the original four models; for example, it aired the second time somebody crashed a car into the set, but not the first.

They also very obviously edited Janice out of the Punchboard Bryan clip. That really rubbed me the wrong way, especially after she came out of the woodwork to praise Bob.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
Is it a matter of avoiding paying the former Beauties royalties?

Offline ooboh

• Taking a Bonus Spin
They also very obviously edited Janice out of the Punchboard Bryan clip. That really rubbed me the wrong way, especially after she came out of the woodwork to praise Bob.

If the special was already edited ahead of time, and all that was needed was to film the Drew Carey wraparound segments, then I can see how the editors might have missed that.

Offline ThatDonGuy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Is it a matter of avoiding paying the former Beauties royalties?

Somebody check me on this, but I'm pretty sure Janice is in the clip with Betty White playing Hole in One...or Two, and it looks like Holly and Dian (or is that Janice as well?) are in the clip with Burt Reynolds.

Offline GameShowFan1987

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The Bob
    • The New Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog
I think people are digging too deep into this. The special was about Bob, not Janice, Holly, and Dian. For all we know this was put together 5 years ago just in case. They probably cut Janice out of the Punch-a-Bunch clip for time.

The actual retail price is...