Author Topic: Bob inadvertently helps a contestant win both showcases! (From Reddit)  (Read 1280 times)

Offline COINBOYNYC

• Double Showcase Winner
This is from the "Price Is Right" forum on Reddit.

As a former CBS page, I can finally tell this story.

Like the title says, I was a page at CBS, this happened sometime in the first half of 2001.

What you didn't see most of the time on camera was that there were pages standing on either side of contestant row. Our job was to lead the audience in applause and to help contestants who needed to get on stage. The camera people were masters at making us unseen.

Halfway through one of the shows, all of the contestants bid and Bob's about to read the price and says "Whoah! Stop taping! I have the wrong price!" They do and Bob turns to cue card guy whispering "The price was just over 17,000! A little too much for a prize on contestant row!"

I heard this, as did the contestant standing stage left next to me. We were the only two people to hear it.

Sure enough, this contestant standing next to me eventually gets on stage and into the Showcase Showdown. What does he bid? Exactly $17,000. And he wins, both showcases.

I never said a word. Pages had no business stopping a taping, or reporting that Bob Barker messed up by accidentally revealing the top prize prior.

Link to original
Fun fact: Evelyn Wong, the 5th person to be called on the first show (9/4/72), was actually the very first contestant to directly be called to come on down!  The original first four (Sandy Flornor, Paul Levine, Connie Donnel, Myra Carter) were individually told to stand up, and then, as a group, were invited to come on down.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
Re: Bob inadvertently helps a contestant win both showcases! (From Reddit)
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2023, 02:36:41 PM »
I remember when this aired...I forget the exact details, but there was definitely some indication on-air that Bob knew he had the wrong card.  There was speculation that the player in the Showcase had picked up on what number he'd started to read, but I forget whether there was any confirmation.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline Plinkoman

• 5/28/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2023, 02:37:15 PM »
It seems like I remember something like this happening in Season 29. Just went through some episodes, and sure enough, on Friday, May 4, 2001 it happened. He didn't get both Showcases, but he did win his.

http://tpirstats.com/Season29/0504.html
1,669 days until I am re-eligible to be a contestant on The Price Is Right!

No longer a Push Over!

Offline TinoStar11

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2023, 02:53:29 PM »
Boy I was so wrong with looking up my info , lol
« Last Edit: September 01, 2023, 04:12:58 PM by TinoStar11 »

Offline Kev347

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I love it when people get lit up.
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2023, 07:48:11 AM »
Looks like from the recap this same contestant Cliffton also got to play Cliff Hangers..and bid $69 on the first item.

Offline thatvhstapeguy

• 4/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • First person to ever see $2.75 in Pocket
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2023, 06:41:27 PM »
I recently traded for this episode. There is a subtle but noticeable audio edit between Bob saying "And the actual retail price is" and "805 dollars."
I didn't get called down, but the guy next to me did
Oops, that isn't true anymore