Author Topic: Season 31 Premiere Doors (September 23, 2002)  (Read 5048 times)

Online Plinkoman

• 5/28/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
Re: Season 31 Premiere Doors (September 23, 2002)
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2023, 09:40:51 PM »
The problem with the Hollywood mural was it looked too busy and too colorful. Same for the doors, IMHO. The pink/blue/purple turntable looked a lot better.

I remember watching the day On the Spot premiered and everyone complaining of a color-overload when they showed the SP display in front of the turntable. How was that really more than twenty years ago? Dang, I feel old now!
1,669 days until I am re-eligible to be a contestant on The Price Is Right!

No longer a Push Over!

Offline BonusShell

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2023, 09:45:09 PM »
The Hollywood Mural Turntable was very ugly, but it was a thing of beauty compared to the current table. What we have now is both vomit-inducing and seizure-inducing. The tacky blue floor would be bad enough, but the floating dollar signs inside the "video hexagons" represent sensory overload in the extreme (and make it impossible for me to concentrate on actual gameplay).

There are a great many reasons why I cannot stand TPIR in its current state, but the horrendous turntable is the #1 reason. Seriously, how can anybody find the Hollywood Mural turntable (as awful as it was) to be more repugnant than the current turntable?

Offline Trevor Tuominen

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2023, 11:16:48 PM »
I wouldn't turn it into another "Bob and Dob rule, Drew, Mikey and Evelyn drool!" thing myself (Mikey does drool, but for other reasons, but I digress).
"Take your job seriously, but don't take yourself too seriously." - Alex Trebek, 1940-2020

Icon by Siahri!

Offline Franc

• Double Showcase Winner
    • Let Me Be Franc!
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2023, 10:18:25 AM »
I forget... how long did the mural last? I cannnot have been that long...

Offline supersaver87

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2023, 10:32:33 AM »
I forget... how long did the mural last? I cannnot have been that long...

Didn't even last the full season; the first episode with the pink, purple, & blue aired Mar. 10, 2003.

Offline BonusShell

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2023, 08:46:43 PM »
Didn't even last the full season; the first episode with the pink, purple, & blue aired Mar. 10, 2003.

Excluding the Hollywood mural turntable, I personally thought that the pink/purple/blue turntable (with the blue carpeting) was the least attractive of the Barker-Era turntables. I did not dislike it by any means, but its color scheme was quite different from all the others. Regardless, I was not complaining when the pink/purble/blue turntable debuted, since I was so happy that the Hollywood mural turntable was gone.

For a long time, I was puzzled as to why the turntable simply did not return to its 1992-2002 appearance. While I do not know if this is correct, I recall reading on this message board (quite some time ago) that somebody powerful (perhaps Bob himself) liked how Bob looked against the backdrop of the nighttime Hollywood mural turntable, and when the decision was made to return to the classic turntable pattern, dark colors suited Bob the best.

Offline Kyle

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2023, 08:55:07 PM »
Wasn’t the Hollywood mural done at the behest of Syd Vinnedge?

While I do not know if this is correct, I recall reading on this message board (quite some time ago) that somebody powerful (perhaps Bob himself) liked how Bob looked against the backdrop of the nighttime Hollywood mural turntable, and when the decision was made to return to the classic turntable pattern, dark colors suited Bob the best.

Both of these statements are correct.

Offline urbanpreppie0004

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2023, 10:02:57 PM »
The Hollywood Mural Turntable was very ugly, but it was a thing of beauty compared to the current table. What we have now is both vomit-inducing and seizure-inducing. The tacky blue floor would be bad enough, but the floating dollar signs inside the "video hexagons" represent sensory overload in the extreme (and make it impossible for me to concentrate on actual gameplay).

There are a great many reasons why I cannot stand TPIR in its current state, but the horrendous turntable is the #1 reason. Seriously, how can anybody find the Hollywood Mural turntable (as awful as it was) to be more repugnant than the current turntable?

Oh look, another excuse for you to trash the current show again. Sigh.

Offline BonusShell

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2023, 10:41:32 PM »
Oh look, another excuse for you to trash the current show again. Sigh.

I find it interesting that instead of responding to my criticisms of the current turntable (for example, by explaining the reasons why you like it), you instead choose to level a personal criticism at me. I can respect people liking the current show, but quite frankly, people like you serve to intimidate dissenters from expressing their opinions.

In retrospect, I regret stating that the current turntable is vomit-inducing and seizure-inducing, as that was over-the-top. But everything else I said accurately reflects how I feel, including the fact that I think the current turntable suffers from far more "sensory overload" than the Hollywood mural turntable. (I think that it also lacks symmetry, which is a criticism that I recall being leveled against the Hollywoood mural turntable way back when.) And quite frankly, I believe that the floating dollar signs on the video portion of the turntable are quite distracting. I cannot imagine that I am alone in that opinion.

Also, I am not somebody who automatically despises every single thing that was done in the post-Barker Era. While Drew's hosting is not my cup of tea, I do think he is a lot better than he was during his first few years. I also think he did a superb job in hosting the retrospective about Bob. (It was his finest hour, in my opinion.) And regarding the other set changes made since Season 35, I have no objections to them. Actually, most of the changes to modernize the set have been done very tastefully, with the turntable being the glaring exception.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2023, 10:49:35 PM by BonusShell »

Offline urbanpreppie0004

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2023, 10:53:51 PM »
I find it interesting that instead of responding to my criticisms of the current turntable (for example, by explaining the reasons why you like it), you instead choose to level a personal criticism at me. I can respect people liking the current show, but quite frankly, people like you serve to intimidate dissenters from expressing their opinions.

In retrospect, I regret stating that the current turntable is vomit-inducing and seizure-inducing, as that was over-the-top. But everything else I said accurately reflects how I feel, including the fact that I think the current turntable suffers from far more "sensory overload" than the Hollywood mural turntable. (I think that it also lacks symmetry, which is a criticism that I recall being leveled against the Hollywoood mural turntable way back when.) And quite frankly, I believe that the floating dollar signs on the video portion of the turntable are quite distracting. I cannot imagine that I am alone in that opinion.

Also, I am not somebody who automatically despises every single thing that was done in the post-Barker Era. While Drew's hosting is not my cup of tea, I do think he is a lot better than he was during his first few years. I also think he did a superb job in hosting the retrospective about Bob. (It was his finest hour, in my opinion.) And regarding the other set changes made since Season 35, I have no objections to them. Actually, most of the changes to modernize the set have been done very tastefully, with the turntable being the glaring exception.

Here is my issue.

Nearly every time your name comes up, I know it's going to be a post bashing the current show. This was a thread about season 31 and the set of that time- and you turned it into a "agh, I hate the show now for ____ reason".

There was no reason for you to post that beyond letting everyone else know how you feel- thats not a conversation, thats, to use a phrase from Drew, being a telephone pole screamer.

Offline BonusShell

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2023, 11:11:36 PM »
Here is my issue.

Nearly every time your name comes up, I know it's going to be a post bashing the current show. This was a thread about season 31 and the set of that time- and you turned it into a "agh, I hate the show now for ____ reason".

There was no reason for you to post that beyond letting everyone else know how you feel- thats not a conversation, thats, to use a phrase from Drew, being a telephone pole screamer.

I certainly understand your point about my shifting the topic of conversation in this thread, and that is a valid criticism.

I wanted to express my objections to the current turntable. Perhaps in hindsight, I should have made a new thread just discussing that, but I feared my doing that would be no less welcomed than expressing my thoughts in this thread. Since my complaints of the current turntable were very similar to the complaints so many were having about the Hollywood mural turntable, I opted to express them in this thread.

Also, it was not my intention to completely shift the topic of discussion away from the Hollywood mural turntable, but rather link both of them together as being visually distracting to the viewers. And in fact, the last question I posed in my original post basically indicated that I wanted posters here to compare and contrast any objections they had with the Hollywood mural turntable to the current turntable.

Offline urbanpreppie0004

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2023, 11:18:32 PM »
Hey...it's ok. I get it.

I've been frustrated with the direction of discussion not just on this board, but in the GS community because there's a LOT of crapping on current shows and a LOTTT of unreasonableness these days.

I directed some of my vitriol at you, and I came off a little harsh- I am sorry.

Bearing your point, the current turntable is not my favorite. It's...ok, but I wish they would stick with a three stripe pattern (they did this for decades week and looked GREAT). But I will take this turntable a thousand times over the Hollywood turntable, the first two Drew Carey turntables, and that weird season where the turntables had two separate designs in 1982.

Also...I HATED The Season 31-34 and Season 35 doors. Like a lot. 

Offline BonusShell

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2023, 11:22:40 PM »
Hey...it's ok. I get it.

I've been frustrated with the direction of discussion not just on this board, but in the GS community because there's a LOT of crapping on current shows and a LOTTT of unreasonableness these days.

I came off a little harsh- I am sorry.

Bearing your point, the current turntable is not my favorite. It's...ok, but I wish they would stick with a three stripe pattern (they did this for decades week and looked GREAT). But I will take this turntable a thousand times over the Hollywood turntable, the first two Drew Carey turntables, and that weird season where the turntables had two separate designs in 1982.

Urbanpreppie, I really appreciate your kind and thoughtful response.

I sincerely apologize to you and anybody else for the harshness in the things that I have written.

Offline Combs

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2023, 11:43:06 AM »
Also...I HATED The Season 31-34 and Season 35 doors. Like a lot.

Any particular reason? Too colorful? Just don't like the designs? I'm kind of surprised because it seems like quite a few people liked the 31-34 doors. I've heard a few people say they don't care for the 35 doors, but one common reason was because there was no discernible pattern/border to distinguish Door #1, #2, #3. All three doors were the same. I've never seen someone reply they *hate* both designs. The only problem I have with the 35 doors is that "The Price Is Right" logo is too small. In fact, had Bob not retired in 2007, I would have hoped that they would have kept the rainbow design for the season 36 doors, removed the "35 Years" graphic, and centered and expanded "The Price Is Right" logo to full size. The blue and green streamers could stay or go. Whichever looked better.

I actually like the classic door designs with the white backgrounds behind the TPIR logo from 1972-2002 quite a lot. But after 30 years it was nice to get a more colorful design. Agree to disagree.

Offline iluvpir

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2023, 02:14:19 PM »
Many years ago I remember seeing a 3D mockup someone made of the set which paired the blue starburst doors from seasons 31-34 with the purple/red/orange turntable, and I thought it looked really good.