Author Topic: Pricing Game Tier List Video  (Read 824 times)

Offline OneBidTris

• 4/2/2024
  • FPG Host & TPiR Alumnus
  • Hosting FPG for Season 50
Pricing Game Tier List Video
« on: May 18, 2024, 12:39:58 PM »
Hello there. Some people on the site came together to make a tier list of every pricing game the show's ever created. There are opinions you may agree with, some that will be divisive (I know there were some even we were divided on as the list goes on), and others that may surprise you.

It's a long video, but there are chapters if there's a particular game you're looking for. Enjoy:

(Wasn't sure if here or OILF was the better place to put this, though it is a bunch of Price fans nerding out about Price games)

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
Re: Pricing Game Tier List Video
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2024, 01:33:49 PM »
"Stack the Deck is the best car game that uses grocery products besides Hole in One"

I feel like we could be friends.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline illustriousrocket

• Outside in Line
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2024, 07:29:12 PM »
Funny, I was just thinking yesterday about a pricing game tierlist and seeing if one was available.

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2024, 10:09:30 PM »
Okay, listened to the first hour while driving around. I agree with a lot of it.

Setups seem to matter a ton in how people rank it. Some rank it lower based on the game being set up poorly. Some don't take setups into it at all. I'm taking a more optimistic approach and ranking each game based on how much fun it is to watch [with current prizes for active games] assuming it's setup at its "best".

Super Saver: Can't argue with "A", and I agree that it would still be played to day if not for Bob screwing up. Inflation might require bigger differences and a bigger win range, but that's an easy fix. Make it $2.00 and there's nothing wrong with it.

Secret "X": There's no way this is a D tier game. "B" at worst. If the producers want the game won, it will be won. The "X" hasn't been on the bottom row for a non-car prize since Season 49. It's all about that prop, I still have fun when they hit the button and reveal the "X" no matter how many times I've seen this before. It's even kind of fun when they've covered the top two and you know the contestant's won, but they don't know it yet and you're waiting to see their reveal.

Triple Play: At first I thought "C" was high, but that's about right. The spectacle of three cars is amazing, but there's not much steak to that sizzle. If the set and gameplay had more to it, it would be higher. If I were ranking current setups, it would be even lower. Like Golden Road, the game is no fun when people don't even get a chance to play for the third car.

Shower Game: "D" is right. It's bizarre. Wonderfully bizarre to see once, but there's nothing to it and I can't imagine this would be fun to watch over and over again.

Clearance Sale: "D" is fine. It's a clone of a game with more fun chrome, which is itself a clone of Most Expensive with an added wrinkle. It wasn't needed and it was obvious when the contestant had won or lost.

Hole in One: I can't give it less than "A". Yes, it hurts that the pricing setups are bad. Yes, it hurts that there's no splitscreen shot anymore. Yes, this was plainly designed to showcase Bob's talents and Drew (while not doing anything wrong) sometimes feels like he's doing the inspiration putt because he's "supposed" to. I'm not taking any of those into account, I'm ranking the game at its best. And at its best, the pricing portion gets you yelling at the TV, only to bate your breath a few moments later as the contestant putts. That's exactly what I'm looking for in a pricing game.

Back to '7x: As a 50th anniversary celebration of the show's history, I loved it. As a permanent pricing game... "C" is right. I'm on the side that it isn't a pricing game. [I am also on the side that Range Game, with which Back shares the rest of its DNA, hasn't been a pricing game for decades.]

Make Your Move: Doesn't deserve less than an "A". I could be talked into an "S" tier. The "All or Nothing" aspect is core to the game's presentation and it would be clumsy if it weren't like that.

Poker Game: This would be a fantastic game for Let's Make a Deal. As a Price is Right game, "D" tier.

Plinko: I was prepared to burn my LFAT card over this but I'm pleased that you agreed you can't really put it less than "A". If you had to show an alien five pricing games to show them "this is what The Price is Right is all about", it must include Plinko. If TPIR is about unpredictability and a carnival atmosphere and not knowing what will happen next, this all of that distilled into four minutes.

Cover Up: Strong, strong case for "S" tier.

Pathfinder: If you're taking into account games that often never really get off the ground thanks to their setups, "B" would be right. I'm not taking that into account, as stated above, and am assuming best-case scenario with setups, so "A" with a chance at "S". I don't like the thicc Pathfinder set much though. That's a Covid change I wish wasn't permanent. Part of the visual language (that isn't explicitly part of the game's rules) is a path should lead you off the board, and that isn't the case with those green honking things on either side.

Telephone Game: "D" is right. Could be a candidate for "F", but I didn't hate the kitchiness of trying to make a call to the right prize. Wish I had video of the other two playings to properly judge.

Lucky Seven: Hot take, but "C". Yes, the car getting pushed out is awesome, but like Triple Play it's all sizzle and no steak. Four digit cars work muuuuch better for this game. I said I'd try to be judging each game at its best, but I can't think of a five digit setup that would make the game exciting and reward the viewer for playing along at home that isn't, like a $25,645 car or something. That's not exciting.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline tpirfansince1972

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2024, 10:10:23 AM »
I cannot believe I sat through that entire 6 and a half hour video last night!

It felt like it was maybe only 2 hours long at best!

I want to rewatch this again and do my own personal rankings too!

This video was really well done!  Superb work.  I know Mr. Goodson and Mr. Barker would be amazed at the knowledge depth people had for the show.

Offline OneBidTris

• 4/2/2024
  • FPG Host & TPiR Alumnus
  • Hosting FPG for Season 50
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2024, 12:59:28 PM »
Should add this, seeing as it's not in the video currently. Here's a link to the tiermaker if you want to do your own list:

http://tiermaker.com/create/the-price-is-right-pricing-games-16895523

Offline tpirfansince1972

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2024, 06:01:52 PM »
Thanks!  I was curious to see.

Offline illustriousrocket

• Outside in Line
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2024, 07:14:06 PM »
Thank you, OneBidTris!

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2024, 11:28:57 PM »
Well the video has drawn new information out of a prior staffer, Mandel -

Thanks for chatting about my game, "1/2 Off!"   Something not many people know.  In my original pitch for the game, it was for a car and you had to find the keys to the car in one of the boxes.   Also, understand the gripe not winning the $10k if you don't play perfectly...but as I had pitched it, you would've gotten $1,000 for every 1/2 off item you picked.  Before you opened the box, you had the opportunity to walk away with the cash you had earned or give it up in order to open up the box.  Barker didn't like it because it felt too much like a Monty Hall/Let's Make a Deal dilemma.    Can't believe as of next week, the game will be 20 years in rotation on the show!
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline tpirfansince1972

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #9 on: Yesterday at 05:15:10 PM »
I find it perplexing that Bob felt it was too much like "Let's Make A Deal" with Mandel's original idea.

What is Temptation?  Grand Game?  Spelling Bee?  Let 'Em Roll?  Pass The Buck?  Punch A Bunch?  All of those games also offered bailout options, some of which were PLAYED for cars.

The only thing I can figure is maybe Bob felt it was too LMAD because 1/2 off had boxes???  Otherwise that makes zero sense to me.

Online GRWHAMMY the 2nd

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #10 on: Yesterday at 07:08:57 PM »
if anything, i'd liken it more to what Deal or No Deal would be if it actually had a pace faster than a snail on molasses