Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 9/25/2023 (TPiR Season 52 Premiere)  (Read 5955 times)

Offline ooboh

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Re: TPiR Recap - 9/25/2023 (TPiR Season 52 Premiere)
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2023, 10:15:16 PM »
I feel like that Golden Road was set up for a win at the end. More often than not, the correct digit for the car is the lowest digit, and contestants’ guesses tend to skew high.

The Drew Carey Studio?   10,000th episode?

He’d have to have a few thousand more episodes to get that distinction, but I can see it happen.

Offline JoePlinko

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2023, 10:18:05 PM »
Great show and I get it's literally first taping week, but man the camera angles and blocking seemed terrible.  I got a feeling of a terribly cramped studio the entire show with the way some angles were wedged to get shots, especially during the call downs.

The lack of raised height to the back of the audience gives us literally no opportunity to see any family reactions as before.  It's just a bunch of people standing up blocking others.  I hope they figure out a way to add some height to the rows next season.

All in all more positives that outweigh the negatives I mentioned, but I have faith they'll figure them out along the way.
"If we want the show to stay on, you have to support the show.  How can we lose an American classic?"  - Roger Dobkowitz

Offline TPIRighteous

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2023, 10:21:20 PM »
I was surprised by how little the overall look of the show changed with the move. They did a great job rebuilding the existing set in a new studio.

I get that the look of the audience pit can't really be recreated, and that's okay, but I feel like they need to do something to visually separate the contestants from the audience a bit more. It all just looks a bit... cluttered?

Offline Josh444

• TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2023, 10:36:03 PM »
I wonder if they can mess around with the lighting a bit to illuminate the contestants and decrease the audience lighting when it comes time to bid. Dim the lighting before each One Bid, and raise it when the contestant runs to stage. That may help with the separation issue. I agree that the audience looks cramped with the current camera angles.

Offline alansh42

• In the Audience
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2023, 10:42:02 PM »
Any one else notice that George called it Bidder's Row (for the laptop reveal)?

Offline Mr. Weatherman

« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2023, 10:55:00 PM »
The first season premiere I vividly remember watching (and recorded) was S32…has this really been 20 years ago??

As unreal as that seems, I did in fact watch the 52nd season premiere today some 20 years later, and boy, was it awesome to finally see a full audience again!  It’s a year overdue in my opinion, but obviously the show had very little control over union protocols and so forth that mandated the continued use of the pods, so all is forgiven for their extended stay.  I’m just happy they’re gone!

Part of me wishes I had never looked at any of the spoiler images of the new studio over the past month and instead let myself be totally surprised today, but I still enjoyed what I saw.  There are a few kinks to work out, but overall, it seems like they’re running just as well oiled of a machine as they were up the road, which is massively impressive given all that went into making this move happen.

I do hate when Plinko ruins a perfect show.  I get why they played it today, but man…. As others said in Discord, I suppose you can flip it around and say this was a ‘lossless’ show.  I won’t gripe too much about it!

I’m also not the biggest fan of playing Golden Road for prizes that were in-line with its budget, say, 25 years ago.  If we’re going to start playing the game more often, then perhaps it’s a fair compromise.  But oh would I have loved to have seen a six-digit prize there.  Maybe the extra prize budget there was spent on the move. :P

The main thing that seemed difficult for me were the shots of the audience for call downs. The shots were kind of dizzying to me, and I think it was because they were so close to the audience. I think there are 2 things causing this...one, the smaller space/audience. And the other, trying to shoot around those already in contestant's row, because now because they are higher relative to the audience they block the view.

I didn’t think about the raised contestants row getting in the way, but now that you mention it, this makes sense.  While it looks fantastic — especially to have been created with such strict time constraints given the move and all that went along with it, it’s definitely obstructive in some situations. 

It wouldn’t surprise me if we see some revisions to the current contestants row within the next season or two.  The gap between each display is likely a product of having to piece the new row together so quickly.  As I speculated in the Discord chat earlier, the reasoning behind the wider row in general is probably to accommodate special episodes with two or three contestants standing behind each one-bid position.  They were able to easily accommodate this in the BBS, but the new raised platform may not allow for that transition to be made as easily.  Moving forward, maybe (hopefully) they will increase the size of the one-bid displays — not by a gross amount, just enough to fill in the gaps better.  After all, the Barker-era displays were actually larger than their LCD counterparts, just with smaller bezels.  I think a display roughly the size of those but with the larger, LED bezels of today would fill the space just about perfectly.

In a perfect world where we can make the new studio at Haven look like an exact clone of Studio 33, perhaps they’ll physically dig out a ‘pit’ during the summer taping break, resolving nearly all of these issues without raising the stage. :P

Provided that probably won’t happen, I say we’ll have to deal with the different camera angles unless they can find a way to get creative — maybe have telescoping camera platforms they can raise by two or three feet when needed to simulate the stage being higher up?  That may not even be possible.  There’s also the jib, but… eh.
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker

Offline coolguy47

• In the Audience
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2023, 12:24:52 AM »
I like the new CR set up no longer having to watch people struggle walk up the stairs.

Offline DYC

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2023, 01:15:30 AM »
Neat how they scheduled a lot of games today that utilize the full stage in some way. Honestly, it’s gonna take me a handful of episodes to acclimate myself to the new Big Doors and Giant Price Tag close-up/ odd angle reveals. Looks great no complaint, but a 4-decade long viewer like me can notice that we’re dealing with a little less stage space overall now.

Never thought I’d ever think this thought, let alone express it, but..

Plinko looks so *weird* now without the stagelights flanking it. No space for them anymore I guess? The reveal curtain and the Plinko board looks to be placed a little further back in the stage now in the new studio.
Also, Hot Seat’s sign makes a brief cameo in the rafters during the Plinko reveal.

Offline htmlcc92

• Double Showcase Winner
  • "Mrs. Peacock was a man?!"
« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2023, 01:58:20 AM »
Sorry for another post, but was thinking: I'm glad for the little blips they leave in and don't edit out - I noticed when Rachel was driving the car toward the Card Game table, the Card Game monitor briefly blacked out, before coming back on. It's the small things like that that amuse me.
There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2023, 02:07:11 AM »
Major props to everyone who worked on the new audience and Contestants' Row.  The goal was clearly to have it look as much as possible like they were still in Studio 33, and they succeeded with flying (and now alternating) colors.  In fact, during Plinko's intro, the overhead shot of Contestants' Row made it look for all the world like it was still sunken.

Weirdly, my main complaint is with the Turntable -- maybe it's just something they did for the premiere, but it looks like they've stopped changing the wall colors for each Item up for Bids.  I'm going to miss that.

It doesn't sound like they've gotten the audio mixing quite right yet, which I suppose isn't surprising given they'd only been there a week when they taped this.  The Big Wheel beeps sounded really tinny.

I love having "Television's most exciting hour" back in the opening. :)

Is it just me, or did they change the harps in Golden Road?

They did -- those were the mid-'90s Plinko harps.

Speaking of "is it just me," is it just me, or did the color of the text on the showcase podiums change? I don't remember it ever being anything other than a bright white (except maybe on special occasions).

Okay, I'm glad I wasn't seeing things there.  It looks like they've tinted it gold.

Plinko looks so *weird* now without the stagelights flanking it. No space for them anymore I guess? The reveal curtain and the Plinko board looks to be placed a little further back in the stage now in the new studio.

Those lights haven't been there since the end of Season 44.

I do agree, though -- somehow, the stage looked really empty during the Plinko intro.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline b_masters8

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2023, 04:29:41 AM »
I love having "Television's most exciting hour" back in the opening. :)

Me too-- acknowledges the show's rich history quite well; one commenter on this video of the new opening, however, said that George should have said the studio's name in the opening, and that such an omission almost ruined it.

Offline Trevor Tuominen

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2023, 06:19:41 AM »
The show didn't mention Television City or Studio 33 in the intro (outside of some first season episodes or the Davidson version) until 33 was renamed after Bob in 1998.
"Take your job seriously, but don't take yourself too seriously." - Alex Trebek, 1940-2020

Icon by Siahri!

Offline b_masters8

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2023, 06:24:41 AM »
The show didn't mention Television City or Studio 33 in the intro (outside of some first season episodes or the Davidson version) until 33 was renamed after Bob in 1998.

Indeed-- I remember that 5000th broadcast over a quarter-century ago (#5134, actually), where Bob got the honor of having 33 named for him.

Offline jbrocato

• Outside in Line
« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2023, 06:54:58 AM »
I would like to offer as a friendly suggestion that since they are not in the Bob Barker Studio anymore, they bring back the original name of the Bargain Game to Barker's Bargain Bar as a way of paying homage.  I think they still used the original name during the first few Carey seasons.

I was thinking for a new set for the revived BBB, they could build a backdrop like a general store with the game name on it.  The current Bargain Game set is probably the least interesting set, save for Double Prices and One Right Price.

Offline JT

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2023, 07:50:33 AM »
Great season premiere and they did a great job re-creating the set at the new studio.  Yes some of the camera angles and lighting are a bit different but nothing we won't quickly become accustomed to.  They definitely wanted 5 winners today as they continue to rely on human behavior:  contestants tend to go high on the 3rd number in Golden Road if the 2nd number is a low number.  They put the $5,000 card in the middle vs on one of the ends because contestant's gravitate towards the center of the deck -as if there is something wrong with the outer cards.  I also thought they played Card Game on the premiere to emphasize the full audience in the background.  I'm just glad they didn't do any unnecessary gimmicks this year for the premiere.  This was a premiere for the loyal fans all around.