Author Topic: Games turning 50 in '24  (Read 863 times)

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
  • 67 years of The Price Is Right
Games turning 50 in '24
« on: November 12, 2023, 04:44:22 PM »
Here's what turns 50 next year along with premiere dates:
Jackpot! (Jan. 7)
Tattletales (Feb. 18)
Now You See It (April 1)
Celebrity Sweepstakes (April 1; syndicated nighttime edition w/o Sept. 9)
Winning Streak (July 1)
High Rollers (July 1)
Name That Tune (Dennis James, July 29; syndicated nighttime edition w/o Sept. 9)
Jeopardy! (Syndicated nighttime, w/o Sept. 9)
Masquerade Party (Richard Dawson, w/o Sept. 9)
The $25,000 Pyramid (Bill Cullen, w/o Sept. 9)
The Big Showdown (Dec. 23)
The Money Maze (Dec. 23)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2023, 05:38:50 PM by Ccook »
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
Re: Games turning 50 in '24
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2023, 06:25:47 PM »
Wow, a whole lot of game shows will turn 50 next year...and on August 3rd I'll turn 50 along with them, lol!
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2023, 10:12:43 AM »
67 here. I'm two months older than Price and three months older than To Tell The Truth!
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline Superballer

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2023, 10:35:06 AM »
How intact are these titles today as far as we know?  Presumably Now You See It and Tattletales are mostly complete given the Goodson organization's foresightedness in tape preservation, but I wouldn't be sure about the others. 

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2023, 10:51:45 AM »
Can't believe we're 50 years removed from such a great era.  And I used to think 15 years removed from something was ancient history!

In terms of gameshow personnel, I think there are several that will also be hitting that mark, including Elizabeth Banks, Ken Jennings, and Jimmy Fallon.

Anyway, 1974 was such a great (and underrated) year in the gameshow world.  Match Game didn't debut that year as it was already a year old (CBS version), but I believe a lot of people believe that '74 was the best year out of the other years
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2023, 12:54:10 PM »
How intact are these titles today as far as we know?  Presumably Now You See It and Tattletales are mostly complete given the Goodson organization's foresightedness in tape preservation, but I wouldn't be sure about the others.
Safe to say the only existing episodes of everything save for Tattletales and Now You See It (both as noted intact) are floating around YouTube and maybe Dailymotion. NBC and ABC really missed the mark on preserving those other shows.
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2023, 06:49:44 AM »
On the other end of the spectrum, What's My Line? taped its final shows that December, and despite being a big, award-winning show in the 1950s and having numerous reruns since then, starting with a select few episodes from The Golden Age of Television in the 1980s on PBS, followed by most of its run on GSN, save for the Wally Bruner era, hasn't been revived despite a couple pilots being produced. Three On A Match also left the air that year as well, which sadly was a fun show that's been mostly forgotten due to tape wipeage.

IMO the syndie runs of The $25,000 Pyramid and Jeopardy! ('74) are possibly still intact, especially the former, given that the former was well-known to be rerun during the '80s, causing the CBS version of that show to be renamed "The New $25,000 Pyramid" for the first 2 1/2 years of its run. A studio master copy of the second episode of the original $25K Pyramid is known to circulate.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2023, 07:14:28 AM by pannoni1 »
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline b_masters8

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2023, 09:05:03 AM »
In terms of gameshow personnel, I think there are several that will also be hitting that mark, including Elizabeth Banks, Ken Jennings, and Jimmy Fallon.

Banks will be 50 on 2/10, and Jennings will be on 5/23 (also, Drew Carey will be 66 that day as well).

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2023, 10:36:52 AM »
Three On A Match also left the air that year as well, which sadly was a fun show that's been mostly forgotten due to tape wipeage.
Three On A Match never cleared our market (Atlanta) but I was able to see some episodes from the NBC station out of Greenville SC (thank you, smooth terrain and sporadic e-skip), and I still have a copy of the home game.
--Michel de Montaigne