Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 11/20/2023  (Read 2951 times)

Online AvsFan

• In the Audience
Re: TPiR Recap - 11/20/2023
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2023, 12:01:28 PM »
If the deck was truly randomly shuffled, one would expect to see at least that amount of departure from uniformity only about 10% of the time for a sample of 119 cards. Also, the probability that there would be no card picked less than an ace after that many draws is approximately 10.6%. The strategy guide now mentions that the "pick the endpoints" rule should be used for the range deck - perhaps it could be updated to note that the regular deck is also likely non-random and the rule also applies there (assuming, of course, that the goal is to draw an ace).

Online gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2023, 12:17:00 PM »
I don't see why the showrunners would want to prevent a contestant from drawing an ace though?

Drawing an ace speeds up the game and gives the contestant less input from the audience, since they now have to come up with a number on the spot.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline jhc2010

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2023, 01:00:32 PM »
I don't see why the showrunners would want to prevent a contestant from drawing an ace though?
When an ace is drawn early, it makes the game lame. If the other two Pricing Games in the half of the show with Card game are one-decision games, the half would go to three consecutive one-decision games which the show probably wants to avoid.

On the Season 52 Premiere, the second half of the show was Bargain Game, Card Game, Vend-O-Price. Contestants would make one decision in Bargain Game, one decision on the ace in Card Game, and one decision in Vend-O-Price which is not particularly exciting.

Offline LiteBulb88

• 4/15/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2023, 01:10:29 PM »
When an ace is drawn early, it makes the game lame. If the other two Pricing Games in the half of the show with Card game are one-decision games, the half would go to three consecutive one-decision games which the show probably wants to avoid.

Also, "hiding" the aces makes it more likely a contestant will stop short. If the contestant gets an ace, they're not afraid to go for a higher price. But if they have to raise the price $200-$1,000 at a time, the pressure of being under the lights and wondering why they'd make you draw so many cards causes many contestants to not go far enough.

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2023, 06:27:10 PM »
Drawing an ace speeds up the game and gives the contestant less input from the audience, since they now have to come up with a number on the spot.

But that's not how the ace is supposed to be used, at least not when it's drawn early in the game (unless I missed the part where holding the ace is no longer an option).  The ace is supposed to be used as a tool to help you zero in on the price when another draw might put you over.  I know even in the latter Barker era it wasn't being applied this way, but that's only a testament to how not-great a game Card Game is.

When an ace is drawn early, it makes the game lame.

I would say Card Game became lame long before that.

If the other two Pricing Games in the half of the show with Card game are one-decision games, the half would go to three consecutive one-decision games which the show probably wants to avoid.

So you avoid it by putting a proper lineup together that avoids this scenario, not by stacking the deck in Card Game to try avoiding a one-hit-kill-or-miss-style playing.

For the season opener in question, since they slotted Golden Road and Plinko into the first half, logic would dictate you wouldn't want Card Game in the second half anyway because you're probably going to running long; and Card Game's length can vary significantly.  Swapping out for One Away would have been the better move.
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.

Online gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2023, 07:16:55 PM »
(unless I missed the part where holding the ace is no longer an option)

Can’t find a better source at the moment, but I understand the “hold the ace” rule was eliminated when Card Game returned to the rotation and aces are played immediately.

To balance this Drew asks contestants if they wish to continue drawing after playing the ace, although hardly anyone ever takes him up on it.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline LFAT since diapers

• 11/20/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2023, 08:22:42 PM »
That Mark Goodson logo shirt is a nice homage.

I love your shirt. I STILL, to this day, hear in my head “A Mark Goodson/Bill Todman Production” during the closing credits.

Thanks! I too hear that, it seemed a perfect way to tribute the founders, Bob, and bring some TVC to Haven.

For the record, this edition taped 9/22/23.

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2023, 10:08:59 PM »
I've been stuck using the old schedule until I've been corrected. I will fix it.
Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Offline LFAT since diapers

• 11/20/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2023, 10:06:46 PM »
I've been stuck using the old schedule until I've been corrected. I will fix it.

Thanks for all you do!