Author Topic: Mayim Bialik is not returning to host jeopardy  (Read 3000 times)

Offline Reloaden

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Mayim Bialik is not returning to host jeopardy
« on: December 15, 2023, 06:44:49 PM »
She just announced on instagram that she's not returning.

https://www.instagram.com/p/C05G11gPBwg/?hl=en

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Mayim Bialik is not returning to host jeopardy
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2023, 07:03:26 PM »
So I'd assume Ken's got the job full-time now?

Online Trevor Tuominen

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2023, 07:40:54 PM »
He already kinda was: given Mayim stepped away to support the strike, Ken's already done every season 40 episode, plus the new celebrity season.
"Take your job seriously, but don't take yourself too seriously." - Alex Trebek, 1940-2020

Icon by Siahri!

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2023, 07:52:23 PM »
Good riddance.
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Online Trevor Tuominen

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2023, 08:09:52 PM »
Yeah, Ken was undeniably the better host. I'm guessing Mayim only stuck around because Sony had a contract to fulfill (Claire McNear noted that Alex's contracts usually ran for three seasons, and this was her and Ken's third).
"Take your job seriously, but don't take yourself too seriously." - Alex Trebek, 1940-2020

Icon by Siahri!

Online jude_este

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Camp Old School Sci-Fi
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2023, 08:43:47 PM »
Jeopardy! has released a statement on their social handles with them hoping to continue to work with Mayim on primetime specials.
https://www.instagram.com/p/C05SqLRRPz_/

Offline GameShowFan1987

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The Bob
    • The New Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2023, 09:15:51 PM »
Ken was always the rightful heir to the Jeopardy throne in my eyes anyway. I tried to like Mayim but she just didn't do it for me. I wish her the best in any future endeavors.

The actual retail price is...

Offline Superballer

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2023, 09:36:41 PM »
I would have to agree personally, that Ken seemed the logical successor. 

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2023, 12:09:06 AM »
I respect Mayim for trying her best in her job hosting, but I'm not sorry to see she won't be returning to host. It just wasn't a great fit, and Ken is clearly better.

Offline Reloaden

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2023, 04:28:16 AM »
i forgot to add my reply

I had a feeling Mayim wasn't returning after the writers strike. I noticed people wasn't a fan of her hosting and hated when she called the Jeopardy! round Single Jeopardy. I do agree Ken was a better host and seem more associated with Jeopardy than Mayim.

I like Mayim and i hope she finds a project thats a hit for her.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2023, 04:39:07 AM by Reloaden »

Offline BillyGr

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2023, 02:21:08 PM »
Jeopardy! has released a statement on their social handles with them hoping to continue to work with Mayim on primetime specials.
https://www.instagram.com/p/C05SqLRRPz_/
Which is basically what the plan was originally, just with the producer Mike instead of with Ken.

Online C8

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2023, 02:52:16 PM »
Well we have the usual PR conflict. Mayim is saying the producers told her she wasn't coming back in her instagram post, Sony says we'd love to have her back again. I'm inclined to see Mayim's side on this. She seemed miffed.

Alas. It is what it is.

Online GRWHAMMY the 2nd

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2023, 04:49:08 PM »
they DID mention the term "Daytime Jeopardy!" meaning it's just the normal 5-a-week syndicated show (as opposed to any of the primetime stuff like the Celeb thing)

Online Trevor Tuominen

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2023, 02:57:16 PM »
According to Matthew Belloni of Puck News:
Remember when I speculated back in late September that the studios may not soon forget the outsize animosity on display during the Writers Guild strike? A few readers (and many on Twitter!) said I was fearmongering. Now we see Sony Pictures Television firing Mayim Bialik as host of the syndicated Jeopardy!, duties she shared since 2022 with Ken Jennings. And while Sony insists the parting is to “maintain continuity” for viewers, Bialik’s actions during the strike were at least a contributing factor, according to three sources close to the show. Sony declined to comment beyond its statement.

Sony TV executive Suzanne Prete and executive producer Michael Davies were furious when Bialik said in May that she would step away from the final week of filming last season in solidarity with the show’s striking writers. After all, Jeopardy! and Wheel of Fortune are well-oiled machines, requiring precise timing to make the show’s five-episodes-a-day schedule. Plus, Bialik wasn’t loved on set, and Sony had switched up shooting that season to accommodate her Fox sitcom, Call Me Kat. Bialik’s reps were told that by refusing to perform, she was in breach of her contract, which began with an annual salary of $4 million (that includes her primetime Jeopardy! work), and has increased by $1 million each year. Jennings, who stepped in on those final episodes, is paid the same.

Post-strikes, Bialik had expected business as usual, but Sony recently informed her that her services won’t be needed next season. She was offered the chance to stay on for the rest of this season, but she said no thanks. Assuming the primetime Celebrity Jeopardy! and the college tournament are renewed by ABC for 2024-25 (a safe bet), she may still stay on those. But given her anger, I’ll be a bit surprised if that happens.

TL,DR: Apparently Mayim wasn't well-liked on set and Sony apparently wanted an out, her reps warned her not to violate her contract (given the show isn't a struck program), and she did it anyway. Take this with a grain of salt, but this may have shed some light.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2023, 03:05:55 PM by Trevor Tuominen »

Icon by Siahri!

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2023, 08:47:55 AM »
More like taking something like that with a shaker of salt.