Author Topic: Personal reflection on today  (Read 13499 times)

Offline kiralyhome

• Outside in Line
Re: Personal reflection on today
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2007, 01:42:10 PM »

I was born on August 26, 1972 - the first 5 episodes of TPIR were taped that week.

My generation has never known a world without The Price is Right starring Bob Barker.  He has truly made this world a better place and his daily presence will be missed!

Offline JWL

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2007, 01:53:13 PM »
I think it was fitting that his last game was the same as his first.....The Any Number Game. To bad the results of the game weren't the same as the first time it was played. I knew the show was going to be low key in terms of not much being mentioned about his last day, but I didn't think there would be no mention at all of it until his closing remarks.

I have enjoyed watching Bob since I was a little boy. I am happy that my wife and I did get to be in the audience in 1999 to see Bob in person. He has truly been amazing.
Semper Vigilans!

Offline ironman00710

• TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2007, 01:53:43 PM »
Although I haven't seen the final episode yet, reading all these memories reminds me of when I first saw Price.  It was at least 15 to 16 years ago.  I remember the purple and red turntable, the sparkling suits of Rod, Penny Ante!, the Plinko sign, and others.  But what really stood out the most that I remember was seeing the CBS eye curtain all the time.  Whenever they did a zoom in on Rod's face at the announcer's podium, the curtain was in the background, and stuck with me ever since.

Every summer I spent watching Price during the weekdays (although I didn't know they were reruns).  Then when I started getting involved with other things (swimming, working), Price began to faded away.  It didn't pick back up till about my freshman year of college when I had the time slot available to watch the show!  Thats what sparked me to go out to LA to see it in person in 2004, and again just last month.  Walking into the studio for the first time, I immediately saw the red eye curtain.  Brought back the good ol' days pretty darn quick I must say!  Although they have a lot of newer stuff at the studio (newer curtains, new paint, etc), the distinct curtains I saw 16 years ago are still there, covered up in places, but still there!

Bob, thanks for all the great memories these many years you've been on television!  Live long, stay strong, and enjoy your well deserved retirement!

Offline mlh1981

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2007, 02:01:37 PM »
What's gonna suck is the last Friday of reruns with Bob, and then the following Monday with the new host.  That's really gonna throw people off.

They should make the transition easier by just showing old classics.

Offline scoot1105

• In the Audience
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2007, 02:03:31 PM »
I recorded it because i knew i would oversleep it, but mainly because this is history we're talking about.
My heart is really full right now.  To think this will be the last time i see good ol Bob walk through that door.  It still hasn't sunk in yet!!

I still remember when i first saw him.  1979!! I was all of 5 years old, and i cried when the mountain climber went over the cliff in Cliffhangers!! (LOL)

All i can say now is:

THANK YOU BOB, FOR BEING A BIG PART OF MY LIFE FOR THE PAST 28 YEARS!! I LOVE YOU AND I'M GONNA MISS YOU!!

Offline FieldsFan336

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Pika!
    • Behind the Microphone: The Rich Fields Fan Site
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2007, 02:12:03 PM »
Mere words can't describe the 26 years of joy that Bob has brought into my life - seeing Rich hug him at the end of the show really touched me.

Bob, thank you from the bottom of my heart and good luck in all your future endeavors.  You will never be forgotten
Rich Fields' #1 Fan for Life / 2011 CSS playoffs bronze medalist / Blitz Club (sole survivor of the Survivor special) / First QSW 5/9/23

Offline Sizeman

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Walking The Golden Road - after 20 years
« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2007, 02:17:12 PM »
My feelings about today...bittersweet.

I, like so many other people, grew up watching Bob hosting Price. He always stood out in my mind as being a father figure, someone that you can depend on to always be there for you and to teach you about yourself as you grow.

Even when I was 2, I started to imitate Bob...hiding behind the drapes in my living room then having someone open them so that I could begin "the show". It was a real hoot I must say not only for me but for anyone else around.

Through the years, I've watched Bob. And today, I'm still watching Bob. He was only one of a very few constants in my life from a child through to now. With the past 9 months being a very tough time for me to go through, I find it very fitting that today marks not only the end of Bob's TV career, but will start the next phase of my life.

Here's to you Mr. Bob Barker, WGMC...it's been an honour to have you in my home for the past 25 years!

Offline pohlmacs

• TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2007, 02:40:01 PM »

heelsrule1988 wrote:
I kept it together and didn't cry or anything, but I think it's because of the surrealness of it. It hasn't sunk in that he's gone, because he's been around for so long. When it's really going to hit is later, when I realize that we'll never see Bob hosting TPIR again. That's when it will really hurt.

Last night, I got started on a tribute video to Bob, and I'm about to complete the rest of it with clips from today's show. I had planned to do this since Bob announced his retirement last year... it's the least I can do to honor the greatest host EVER. Not just of game shows, but EVER.

I began to cry just before going into the studio, and again began to tear when I saw the page's eyes in front of me throughout the show.  I had to stop looking at him and the staff.

When leaving the studio (they did not rush us out, we all stayed and talked), I lost it when I saw Chuck's tears and Jonathan.  In fact, I am tearing up now just writing this and when I saw the show.

Probably will again tonight after the show and the emmys.  Mr. Bob Barker is a truly wonderful gentleman and will truly be missed on the show.  His impact on everyone is priceless.

Offline pohlmacs

• TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2007, 02:44:41 PM »

Philip Barrett wrote:
I did in 1993, I got a letter from him & a personally signed photo. I asked if he could do a kids TPIR because I was afraid he would retire before I was 18. His note back to me was lost in a fire, but the photo remains! It says: To Philip, Bob Barker. The note said that there were no plans for a kids show, but that he personally promised to stick around long enough for me to be a contestant. I doubted him, but MY LORD.... HE DID IT, and I made it all the way on his last show!
Phil

I just felt this was all meant to be.  What an honor to be a part of all this.

Offline JT

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2007, 02:52:35 PM »
I expected the fancy cars and big showcases but I personally was hoping for more fanfare.  I am sure this is how Bob wanted it, if there were lots of good-bye and sentimental words, he may have felt he could not finish the show.  I am sure the producers told the contestants not to say "good bye" or "Happy Retirement."  I would have liked to see Bob incorporated in the final 2 showcases somehow, and even a retirement sheet cake at the very end of the show. A few extra Beauties (Brandy esp. would have been nice too).  I'm sure CBS did not want this to look like the last episode of The Price is Right.  They want people watching the reruns over the summer and Season 36 and beyond.  Too much money at stake if the show does not sustain through a new host.

So I understand why today went the way it did.

Thank you Bob Barker for 35 years of entertainment, laughs and special memories.

JT

Offline mcfehn

• In the Audience
« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2007, 03:00:54 PM »
I am from the generation that can't remember TV without Bob Barker.  In fact, Bob is one of the reasons I got into Television myself...but on the news side of it.  Anyway, I've always wanted to see the show in person but the last time I was in L.A. I was only 15 and wouldn't have been allowed in.

Fast forward to four months ago.  I was trying to figure out where I should go on vacation.  I thought it would be great to see Bob before he retired.  I checked the CBS website and at that point they still had tapings listed through the end of June because Bob had not yet announced his actual last day.  I booked the trip and sent in for tickets.  You can imagine my shock when it was finally announced his last show would be taped a mere three weeks before my arrival in L.A.  I was so bumbed.  My wife was too.  Even though she was not going to be able to go with me...she felt as bad as I did that I was going to miss out.  I still intend to drive by CBS when I'm out there to see if I can pick up some sort of vibe.  It's a good thing I've got plenty of other things to do while I'm there.

As for today's show...I thought it was great.  I just wish Phil had won the car on Any Number.  I could almost sense some disappointment in Bob's voice that the last game on his watch wasn't won.  So, Phil, how long do you have to wait to get your check for $7.31?  Or did they just hand you the cash after the show?  Don't feel bad...I would have lost too.  I thought that final number in the car was going to be four.  I was also glad that Bob acknowledged the viewers at the end.  TV news reports last week stated the show was going to end with no real hubub.  I know because I wrote one of them (based on the information I had).  I thought his words were very touching and can't wait to hear them again in the prime time aring.

Like everyone else...I will miss seeing Bob everyday but unlike most...I think the show has a good shot at a long future.  Granted, it will no longer be the same for my generation.  Call me crazy...but in another 35 years...our kids may vey well be posting to this very forum saying goodbye to THEIR Price Is Right host.  (Kind of like the whole which James Bond did you grow up with question).  However, if either George Hamilton or John O'Hurley are selected as the new host...the future of the show gets a lot shorter.  That mistake could be titled "The Price Is Wrong, Prizes".  Todd Newton is the show's best hope and I can't see why the producers are having such a tough time figuring this whole thing out.  I'm also wondering if there is going to be a major set and music upgrade for season 36.  I would have to think so since from what I've heard they are going to add the word "New" to the show's title.

So, I've had a great time reading all of the wonderful words about Bob and the show.  I especially loved the behind the scenes pictures.  I just hope you don't decide to stop running the site just because Bob's gone.  Keep up the great work and LONG LIVE THE PRICE IS RIGHT...no matter who's holding the mic.

Offline wpghi5

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2007, 03:01:02 PM »
From first watching the show at age 2 to watching Bob's last show today at age 25 let's just say that these have been 23 of the greatest years of my life. And it's all because Bob. Although I never met him in person it feels as though I've known him very well. And now that it's over and done it justs still hard to believe he won't be in our sets anymore. To Bob thank you for being part of my life all these years. You been such a father figure to me. You will always be my heart forever. I'm sure am going to miss you! From a emotional LFAT from Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada!  :cry:

Offline AndyL

• Taking a Bonus Spin
    • Andy's MovieZone
« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2007, 03:03:52 PM »
Well, I just finished watching, and I am so full of emotion right now.  Bob has been a dear "TV friend" to us all.  I have said this before, but today, especially the words ring true for me when i think about Bob.  I have nothing but love and respect for this fine gentleman.  So I will close this post by quoting some of the lyrics from the song "Saying Goodbye" written by Jeff Moss for THE MUPPETS TAKE MANHATTAN:

Somehow I know we'll meet again
Don't just where, and I don't know just when
You're in my heart, so until then
It's time for saying goodbye. :cry:
"Oh la la la la, hey, banana
  Don't you step on its skin
  Oh la la la la, hey, banana
  Womble up de rubbish and put it in de bin!"

Offline mlh1981

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2007, 03:05:32 PM »
I hope and pray that they don't change ANYTHING in regards to the studio and music

Offline mcfehn

• In the Audience
« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2007, 03:42:06 PM »
Anybody think Bob got up to watch the show this morning?