Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 06/15/2007 (Barker's Final Bow)  (Read 71547 times)

Offline BarkerBrawny

• In the Audience
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 06/15/2007 (Barker's Final Bow)
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2007, 07:44:23 PM »
strongbad wrote:I don't know what to say.  I just watched the final episode, and I must say, despite everything they did, I didn't enjoy it.  Not because I didn't like what they did through any point of the show, not at all.  It's that once the show ended, there's no more Barker.
You 'didn't enjoy it' ?!?!  I can understand how once the show ended you didn't like, since no more Bob. But it would seem that while you were watching you were enjoying it, no?

Anywho, I must say I fully enjoyed the trip down memory lane one last time:
* Nice job with confetti!
* IUFB #1 Plasma - That was a very nice touch having Bob's entrance from the very first show on the TV. Very poignant. Beautiful. The more things change the more they stay the same.
* Plinko. I too really wish it was skipped.  Not only for the fact it eliminates the possibilty of a 'perfect show' but that it's too unpredictable.
* Any Number:  Ah yes.  Fitting bookends to close it out.
* Also wish Denise would have thanked Bob some way on camera, but she was probably overcome with her haul!

And then it was over. I must say I held my composure very well until Bob's final sign-off.  Then as credits were rolling, that same familiar theme playing, Bob waving and Rich giving him a kiss!, the tears welled up and I was overcome.

I'll be 39 in three weeks and that's puts me in the category of those who literally have some of their earliest memories being that of The Price is Right and the one and only Bob Barker. And what memories they are and will always be! While dad was off at work, Bob became my "other" dad and then grand-dad of sorts.  And over the years that relationship has cultivated into one of love and respect and just all around good times.  The "good old days" is how I will recall Bob and his tenure. What joy it has been this last year especially, to enjoy watching the show with my own kids and making sure they knew the show and Bob and to never forget him and how we watched his last show together.

With the numerous changes through the years-- the Games, his Beauties, the announcers-- thy all come and go. But the one constant that was there from the very beginning was Bob and that is why the impact of his absence will be so strong.

Here's to Bob Barker. The Man, the Myth, the LEGEND.
We will miss you terribly but you will live on, for generations, in our minds and in our hearts. God bless.

Offline dunph

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2007, 08:12:54 PM »
I just had the chance to watch a tape of the last show, which I am about to see again in a couple of minutes, and I have to say this:

It was a great show.  Bob's last hurrah was wonderful, had the excitement of the Million Dollar Spectaculars, and it was exciting to see Denise win both a Corvette and a Cadillac, and become the 2nd biggest winner in the show's history.

I would like to leave the words of Johnny Carson in his goodbye, 15 years ago.

"And so, it has come to this, Bob was one of the luckiest people in the world, he found something he was wanted to do, and Bob enjoyed every single minute of it."

And for you people who are watching, I can tell you it has been an honor and a prviledge to come into your homes, for 50 years and entertain you.  And I hope that you, Bob, will find something that like and that you will invite me back into your home, and as gracious and inviting, as you have been."

And remember, to help control the pet population, have your pet spayed or neutered.  I bid you, Bob Barker, a heartfelt goodbye, everybody."

Thank you, Bob, for 50 great years on television, and God Bless You.

Offline Jason Batt

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2007, 08:17:09 PM »
Lucky 7 - She won a CORVETTE!!  Awesome!:-D
Plinko - Not too good.:-(  I hoped she'd hit the $10,000 slot at least once.
Range Game - Good job!:-)
Double Prices - Nice win!:-)  Has Double Prices ever been played for a car before?
Grocery Game - Too bad!:-(
Any Number - Too bad!:-(  As long as Philip waited to get in, he deserved that car.
Showcases - Ended it big!  What a day for Denise!:-D

Overall, a fantastic show!:-D

Thanks for the memories, Bob!  You will be missed!:cry:
Velvet Sky - 2 time Knockouts Champion, the hottest Knockout, and my favorite Knockout!!

Online actual_retail_tice

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2007, 09:17:06 PM »
Anybody watch it in primetime tonight? Was there any bonus material?

I think the best part of the show today was Bob's brief and classy goodbye speech. I don't even want to call it a speech, since it was just a quick word of thanks, but it was nice that he let the show and the contestants be the focus, just like any other episode, until the moment of his sign-off. Even the showcases, aside from their hugeness, were completely ordinary in theme.

So, now, what was that slight set change that was supposed to be on today's show that we're likely to approve of? I didn't notice anything different, except for the permanence of the confetti.

Offline tpiradam

• 11/13/2018
  • TPiR Alumnus
    • http://adamb.one-dollar.us
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2007, 09:22:22 PM »
Lucky $even - Great way to start off the show. Congratulations to Denise for wining the corvettte

Plinko - Tough Break

Range Game - Great Win!

Double Prices - yay fro dean! That was an expensive car!

Grocery game - I thought that the dial would be less expensive than that.

Any Number - Congratulations Phillip! too bad you didnt get the car.

Showcases - WOW! 2 big wins in 2 days! Yay Denise!!!

Grade: 10/10

Offline woohookitty

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2007, 09:31:24 PM »
Plinko wasn't 5th though :) Oh well. It was still a good lineup (most recent game was Plinko...doubt that was an accident).

Offline TheKid965

• In the Audience
« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2007, 10:28:43 PM »

actual_retail_tice wrote:
Anybody watch it in primetime tonight? Was there any bonus material?

Not really.  Just a quick little bit showing Bob taking his final bow to the audience (following the taping of that last show), which was then followed by a staged bit where Bob went back to his dressing room for a brief party with Roger, Fingers, and other staffers - before the models arrived with Bob's tux, reminding him of the Daytime Emmys.  Naturally, this segued into the awards opening.

So, now, what was that slight set change that was supposed to be on today's show that we're likely to approve of? I didn't notice anything different, except for the permanence of the confetti.

Only thing I noticed that was any different was the crane camera, and I'm not sure that qualifies as a "set change."  Anyone?

Offline gameshowguy2000

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2007, 11:42:27 PM »
Well, this being the final show with Bob (potentially), I'll give my input:

Lucky 7: I would've guessed 5 on the final number.
Plinko: Too bad we didn't see $10K hit, but $1500 sure beats zilch anyday.
Range Game: This was almost a toughie, but glad to see it won on the finale.
Double Prices: $29K sounded right (no mention of PS/FP, so it had to either end in 0 or 5).
Grocery Game: Ouch.
Any Number: Double ouch. Philip just became a victim of bad luck. I would've guessed 3 or 4 for that middle digit in that car.

Big Wheel: At least the $1K was given away. I would've liked to see the $10K won, but of course, you can't win everything.

Showcases: That dentist showcase sorta gives me nightmares of the dentist (especially with that drill sound). Nonetheless, we got another $100K+ winner in daytime. We started the season with a $100K+ winner, how appropriate to end it with one.

Other than that, I declare the 35th season closed, and the Price Is Right flame extinguished.

Offline Joe_Capitano

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2007, 12:23:44 AM »
The Kid965: No. Addition of a Jib camera does not constitute a set change.

...and, gameshowguy, you may NOT declare the Price flame extinguished...yet. When it's finally cancelled you may, but not now.

However, this declaration I know is true. Price Season 35 is now officially adjourned sine die.

Offline COINBOYNYC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2007, 12:29:53 AM »

woohookitty wrote:
Great final show. Just as I'd hoped. No clips. Just a generally normal show

BarkerBrawny wrote:
* IUFB #1 Plasma - That was a very nice touch having Bob's entrance from the very first show on the TV. Very poignant. Beautiful. The more things change the more they stay the same.

I was waiting for someone to point that out!  Glad I wasn't the only one who noticed.  Of course, most people will probably think that was "just an old clip" instead of being from the first show.

Another connection between Barker's first and last shows: in both shows, one of the First Four made it to the Showcase round.
Fun fact: Evelyn Wong, the 5th person to be called on the first show (9/4/72), was actually the very first contestant to directly be called to come on down!  The original first four (Sandy Flornor, Paul Levine, Connie Donnel, Myra Carter) were individually told to stand up, and then, as a group, were invited to come on down.

Offline COINBOYNYC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2007, 12:36:46 AM »

Joe_Capitano wrote:
you may NOT declare the Price flame extinguished...yet. When it's finally cancelled you may, but not now.

FWIW, I took gameshowguy2000 to mean that he was declaring the Price flame for Series 35 extinguished.  Series 36 will get its own flame, as will Series 37, and so on.
Fun fact: Evelyn Wong, the 5th person to be called on the first show (9/4/72), was actually the very first contestant to directly be called to come on down!  The original first four (Sandy Flornor, Paul Levine, Connie Donnel, Myra Carter) were individually told to stand up, and then, as a group, were invited to come on down.

Offline Franc

• Double Showcase Winner
    • Let Me Be Franc!
« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2007, 01:03:07 AM »
That's all she wrote, folks! Bob is finally retired!

L7 : When I saw the first 4 numbers being 4567, I though to myself "There is no way that Roger, on this ever-so-special night, would be so evil to put an 8 at the end". I was right! 5 was the easy pick, and even though Denise didn't pick it, it worked out great for her.

P! : Well, Plinko! was ... Plinko! (cliche, I know). Easy SPs.

RG : Well played by Francesco

SCSD 1 : Too bad the hottie didn't win, but Dig For Dollars for Denise. That'll probably buy 2 tanks of gas for that 'Vette !! ;)

DP : I always thought that Double Price for a car was a waste of a car game, but this time, it was well done. Bob did a great job with the fake reveals, to make it exciting. Plus he's from Canada, so ... Go Homeboy!

GG : Well, tough luck! Can't say more.

AN : Glad to see Philip finally escaped the FFBC. However, it kinda sucks to wait 5 days and leave with a check for $7.31 !! ;) lol. Still, he made it there, and I'm glad for him!

SCSD 2 : Alright, Phil! Sucks that you beat my fellow Canuck, but I'm happy he got through, he deserves it.

Showcases : 2 good bids, given how expensive both showcases were, but in the end, Denise pulls it off! $140k, on Bob's last show, that is the best we could have hope for.

Bob couldn't have done a better job at bidding us farewell. That was the most appropriate send off he could have done. That one really got to me!

Good bye Bob. Thanks for the memories!

Offline BarkerBrawny

• In the Audience
« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2007, 01:15:40 AM »
So we now have a bit of trivia re: TPiR 1972-2007

Who was the very FIRST person called to Come on Down?
Sandy (actually, she was told to 'Stand up!')

And the last?  Elijah

And if you believe in a higher power, in Christianity the Bible says that
Elijah is expected to arrive before the Second Coming of Jesus.

How about THAT for divine intervention!
Perhaps contestant Elijah will parallel that requirement and now that he has arrived,
the second coming of The Price is Right can proceed!!!!

Amen all loyal friends and true!

:idea: Then again, the way things are going,
our Elijah's arrival may precede the second coming of...

Bob Barker, redux!?!

Offline GoldenBulldog

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Creative Writer, Loyal Friend and True
    • My Faceook Page
« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2007, 02:25:14 AM »
It's really hard for me to review each pricing game on a show like this, especially this being Bob's final show; I'm a little too emotional to think of anything else right now.  So, for only the second time since I came onto this site, I'm going to give this show a perfect grade.  

OVERALL SHOW GRADE:  A+
I just wanted to drop you a note and thank you for your love, affection and loyalty to me, drew, the models and.... The Price is Right....thank you for being such a "Loyal Friend & True". -Rich Fields (in an e-mail sent to me on 3/17/2010)

I support The Price is Right...even if nobody I know likes Drew Carey.

Offline Timsterino

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2007, 02:39:29 AM »
Bob's last show, of course A+! Sad and happy for Bob at the same time, I can not explain it.

Win or lose Phillip, you were definitely one of the most memorable contestants in recent memory on TPiR. Your facial expressions were honest and priceless. I wish you had a better result with Any Number, as others have said you deserved a better result. However, I am sure the actual experience of being Bob's last pricing game contestant made up for some disappointment.

Congrats on making it on!
Tim