Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 06/15/2007 (Barker's Final Bow)  (Read 71793 times)

Offline pbarrett

• 6/15/2007
  • TPiR Alumnus
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 06/15/2007 (Barker's Final Bow)
« Reply #60 on: June 16, 2007, 07:11:44 PM »
Bob's last show, of course A+! Sad and happy for Bob at the same time, I can not explain it.

Win or lose Phillip, you were definitely one of the most memorable contestants in recent memory on TPiR. Your facial expressions were honest and priceless. I wish you had a better result with Any Number, as others have said you deserved a better result. However, I am sure the actual experience of being Bob's last pricing game contestant made up for some disappointment.

Congrats on making it on!
Tim

Posted on: Yesterday 7:39:29 AM
--------------------

Thanks! It was one of the Greatest Days of my life!

Phil Barrett
- Congrats to Bob! Happy Retirement

Offline BRB_TheFireball

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A Man Without A Forum
    • The Fireball on Golden-Road.net
« Reply #61 on: June 16, 2007, 09:47:52 PM »
Great use of the aerial camera for Bob's (presumed) final show!

Roger definitely wanted to give cars away today.  Lucky Seven was set up as easy as it has been all season.

I said at the beginning of the season that a speedboat was the most excitement that we were ever gonna get out of Double Prices.  Then Roger goes and plays it for a car on the last show of the season.  Not just any car, but a really nice car.  Nobody was gonna lose that car with the two choices that were given.  $24,041 looked way wrong.

Of course, Roger made up for the easy car wins by making Grocery Game a damn near forced loss.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but none of those five GPs had appeared on the show before.  And I don't think it has ever happened before that two GPs used in the same game both involved the nose.  :-P

My showcase bids:
Lincoln--$62,575
Cadillac--$86,520

Thanks again, Bob, for 35 great years of "The Price Is Right" and 50 great years of game shows in general.
Well, this week was supposed to be a return to normalcy, but that's clearly not allowed.  Since you feel there is no need for this week's FPG to continue, I feel there is no need to continue as an FPG host or a G-R.net member.  Since most people are so desperate to push me out of here, why delay it?  I would have preferred that everybody publicly admitted it rather than string me along for the last two days, but it is what it is.  I am hereby resigning as FPG host and moderator, effective immediately.  whammy007 is the new permanent host.  No R-rated rant or airing of grievances from me.  Just a polite "goodbye for good".

--Fireball to Chelsea, 1/15/16

Offline Jordan7

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #62 on: June 16, 2007, 09:48:04 PM »
This was a fantastic finale. I was glad to see it go over so well.

Denise was an awesome contestant, and the playing of Lucky $even was quite a nailbiter. I was shocked to see Roger make such an expensive car liable to be won so easily today. I was really off. My guess was $48,219. Off by $17 total. Denise was a loyal friend and true, saying how she had to keep just one, and she did! That was truly an awesome win by her! Good for you.

Too bad Bob's last time for Plinko had such a dud payout. I was pulling for Kristen to hit the $10,000 at least once. She came close, but not close enough. This is the first time I've seen the last digit be the correct one for all 4 small prizes. They were pretty easy though.

Francisco was good also. It seemed like the rangefinder took a while to get where he wanted it to stop, and he pulled it out by a little bit. I would have stopped it around $19,700 as well.

That was a great showcase showdown. First the tie, then Denise gets the $1,000 in the spin-off for gas money, but didn't give it quite enough for her bonus spin. That would have been awesome, an $11,000 winner on his final show.

Dean really deserved that car. First he fell in the aisle after getting called, and then Bob practically teased him to death. I wasn't sure about picking $29,560 but after hearing it was the touring edition, I had a feeling he had picked correctly.

Melba was so great. I felt really bad she had got stuck with an extremely evil setup of Grocery Game. I'm still shocked that the Dial body wash was $5.99! I was thinking 2 of those as well, and I thought $3.99, which would be $7.98 and she would have won by 3 cents. Really, a tragic loss. I didn't know the prices of any of those products.

Phillip was great also. After being outside the studio for 5 days, then having to be called and stuck in the row the entire show, he deserved to earn the chance to be up on stage. He really should have won Any Number as well. I mean 8 just stood out in my mind as the right number, it just fit the price. I knew the 4 and 9 would complete the game collection, and 3 didn't look right. Tough loss. On the plus side, it's great that Any Number was Bob's first game ever explained and his last.

Melba almost hurt herself both spins she took! Her head was extremely close to the wheel on the second spin. I was surprised her hair didn't get caught in it!

Denise was really nice to pass the first showcase to Philip since she already won a car, only to find out that the second showcase had an even nicer car! Either of them deserved to win the showcase. But Denise eeks it out and wins a haul! Congratulations!

Best Contestant- Denise

Showcase #1- $63,000
Difference- $5677

Showcase #2- $90,000
Difference- $761

The good things that stood out: the clip of The New Price is Right on the first item up for bids, Any Number being Bob's first game and his last, the crane used for the MDS.

The bad things: Every game but Plinko was from the first season, Denise ignored Bob, Bob didn't make a long speech at the end (but it was still nice), neither showcase was about Bob (although they did have it on the MDS).

Anyway, thanks a lot Bob for 35 years of great television. Although you are in your own league, I hope the next host of The Price is Right does you proud, and does it as well as you did. Best of luck and health, and best wishes also.

Offline Punchboard91

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #63 on: June 16, 2007, 11:29:11 PM »
Most games (Grocery Game not included) were set up to be easy (or as easy as possible, as in Plinko's and Any Number's cases...). We got some nice wins, and it was a good show, to say the least.

Fantastic contestants and a great line-up, too. I would have put in Bonus Game instead of Range Game, but, still...

My local NBC station spoiled that Lucky Seven was going to be played, by showing footage, with a car out there. Sure, I was probably the only one to notice, but, hey!  :-)

Thank you, Bob, for 35 great years of TPIR, and 50 years of great, entertaining television!

Offline JokerFan

• Retro Recap Guide
« Reply #64 on: June 17, 2007, 12:07:00 AM »
When I saw commercials for this final episode, I also saw a car out on stage.  While I was almost positive the game was Lucky $even, I wasn't going to rule out Pass the Buck.
I'm ready for reruns and a great Season 36!

Offline temptation1979ga

• Double Showcase Winner
    • The Price is Right episode trading
« Reply #65 on: June 17, 2007, 11:39:23 AM »
"Lucky Seven: When I saw 4567, I did not think the last number would be 5. I was wrong. I would have guessed zero for the last digit."

Wow, you must've reallllly wanted to not win that car! :-P

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #66 on: June 17, 2007, 06:47:59 PM »
So...it's over.  Wow.  35 years...6,731 shows...you know, I know Bob's 83 years old, but I still can't quite believe he's gone.

I have to admit I cried during Any Number.  It was really the only way the pricing games could have ended on this episode -- with the first game ever played.  The symbolism of the whole thing just got to me.  It's just such a shame it was lost...

Lucky $even, on the other hand, was awesome.  I don't think Denise quite grasped that they were trying to make the game easy, though -- her guess of 3 for the fourth number could have been disastrous.

I'm still ticked that Plinko got played.  It certainly wasn't worth it, giving away only $1,500...and really, the only small prize games that had any business showing on this episode were Five Price Tags and Bonus Game.

The crane camera was pretty cool.  It's not something I'd like to see used every day, but for a one-time thing, it was neat.  I especially liked the close-up of the right-hand "The Price Is Right" sign that the show opened with.

When Bob's entrance from the first episode was shown on the TV in the first IUFB, did anyone notice that they left in Janice? :)

I was impressed by how close Bob was able to keep this episode to being just another daytime show.  He didn't really say anything about retiring outside of his little "good-bye" while he was signing off after the Showcase.

I wonder why they didn't air the closed-captioning plugs on the primetime replay.

Joe_Capitano wrote:

Let's put it this way. If I were the last person called of the "First Four", and the lineup was going left to right as it was today, I'd expect that spot nearest Barker.

What's expected isn't always what happens.  The rule is that the first four contestants can stand anywhere they want that isn't already taken.  If the second or third person figures that out and takes the green display, more power to 'em.

UltraPrice wrote:

Until I saw Grocery Game, it never dawned on me that Bob would be playing his first 3 pricing games as the last 3.

And I'm not sure why it'd be Grocery Game that would make you think of that, since it was the fourth pricing game.

JokerFan wrote:

Bob's 6,728th and final episode of The Price is Right

6,731st. :P

styleguy wrote:

Lucky Seven: When I saw 4567, I did not think the last number would be 5. I was wrong. I would have guessed zero for the last digit.

Why?  Lucky $even doesn't use 0s.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline mlh1981

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #67 on: June 17, 2007, 07:18:06 PM »
The consensus on here, from what I gather, is that people on here don't like Plinko.  Why is that, just out of curiosity?

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #68 on: June 17, 2007, 08:02:09 PM »

mlh1981 wrote:
The consensus on here, from what I gather, is that people on here don't like Plinko.  Why is that, just out of curiosity?

Overplayed, underpaid, no major pricing skills required, lame intro, need I go on?
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.

Offline actual_retail_tice

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #69 on: June 17, 2007, 08:09:00 PM »
I think Plinko's pretty good, but I hate to see other same-category games like Shell Game, Pathfinder, etc. to be so rarely played just because it has once-a-week priority. I'd like to see Plinko played as often as Half Off and Punch-a-Bunch, and consequently see other games played a bit more often, even if it's just slightly.

Offline BuddyTom

• Double Showcase Winner
  • It says what it means.
« Reply #70 on: June 17, 2007, 08:18:27 PM »
Plinko has gained a popularity, for whatever reason, that is above and beyond its merit. It used to have a really cool intro, but they've done away with that and now it feels like random chip-dropping on a weekly basis. I'll admit it's exciting when someone does really well (not like it's their fault when they don't...) but a lot of the time it's just frustrating. I suppose someone could bomb the SPs and then get 10K with the free chip, but it's more likely that you walk away with $500, a popcorn machine, a piña colada maker, a foot spa, and a Salad Shooter.

Now that I read that again, I'm not making much sense. I just described a typical playing of Punch-a-Bunch, and I love seeing that.

I'll put it this way. The very first day I joined this site and came into chat, Plinko was played and I saw the multi-colored shouts of: STINKO!! and then PLUNKO!!!!! when the chip got stuck. I knew I had found my TPIR home. :-D
BuddyTom
CSS Host emeritus (served 2006-10)

-- Freude!

Offline Brent

• Outside in Line
« Reply #71 on: June 18, 2007, 01:02:30 AM »
I actually don't like Plinko anymore either... years ago, I thought it was "cool" because it seemed different from the other games, and I liked the stick Bob used sometimes(whatever happened to that?), but these days it's not fun or really interesting. When I found out it was going to be on the finale(which was obviously a no brainer) I wasn't feeling great about it. Yeah, $10,000 winners are fairly common, but equally as many times there's next to nothing won(and there's really no middle ground). $1,500 only on Bob's final show was really depressing to me. When I go back and watch the highlights, I skip over it.

Oh yeah, and the intro is so lame, plus the audience getting all excited about it, It's very blah.

Offline GoldenBulldog

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Creative Writer, Loyal Friend and True
    • My Faceook Page
« Reply #72 on: June 18, 2007, 03:03:04 AM »
Brent wrote:

I actually don't like Plinko anymore either...I thought it was "cool" because it seemed different...these days it's not fun or really interesting.

Just the other day, my dad asked me if Plinko was the most popular game on TPiR, and I told him yes.  However, in my opinion, the "excitement" factor of Plinko went down a couple of notches when they ditched the big sign and the stinger cue from "The Cats"; even without the sign and "The Cats", Plinko will always be a very popular game.
I just wanted to drop you a note and thank you for your love, affection and loyalty to me, drew, the models and.... The Price is Right....thank you for being such a "Loyal Friend & True". -Rich Fields (in an e-mail sent to me on 3/17/2010)

I support The Price is Right...even if nobody I know likes Drew Carey.

Offline pohlmacs

• TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #73 on: June 18, 2007, 03:55:37 AM »

Brent wrote:
I actually don't like Plinko anymore either... years ago, I thought it was "cool" because it seemed different from the other games, and I liked the stick Bob used sometimes(whatever happened to that?), but these days it's not fun or really interesting. When I found out it was going to be on the finale(which was obviously a no brainer) I wasn't feeling great about it. Yeah, $10,000 winners are fairly common, but equally as many times there's next to nothing won(and there's really no middle ground). $1,500 only on Bob's final show was really depressing to me. When I go back and watch the highlights, I skip over it.

Oh yeah, and the intro is so lame, plus the audience getting all excited about it, It's very blah.

I was the first person to jump up (green polo) when they announced playing of Plinko on the last show.  Plinko is just plain fun, being able to hit more than $10,000 in a single game is always nice.

I also agree that the old intro was fun, but I am guessing that the producers like the crowd reaction in the background shot when making the Plinko annoucement by Rich, and it also decreases the setup time by eliminating the reveal on the turntable -- I agree with that move.

Thet being said, I think they need to do away with the $0 slots.  I would rather they be replaced by $100, or reorganize the slots to go from smallest to $10k in middle.  Having the $0 is just plain mean, especially after earning the chip.  At least give the person at least $100 for getting it right!

But then again, it is the risk of getting zero which also makes the game exciting and fun as the Plinko chip jumps around and over it.

Offline Joe_Capitano

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #74 on: June 18, 2007, 04:27:42 AM »
SteveGavazzi wrote:
What's expected isn't always what happens.  The rule is that the first four contestants can stand anywhere they want that isn't already taken. ...

I Know That, not that It'll ever be of practical use to me. But if that were me coming down the aisle, especially Barker-side, and the lineup was going left to right, they darn well better move over or I'd make 'em, hee hee.