Author Topic: Pricing Game Fleshing Out: Barker's Markers / Make Your Mark  (Read 984 times)

Offline tpirfansince1972

• In Contestant's Row
Pricing Game Fleshing Out: Barker's Markers / Make Your Mark
« on: January 13, 2024, 11:39:01 AM »
I want to try to do one of these per week or so if I am able.

I have a list of all 112 pricing games on Excel and am using a random number generator to determine which pricing game I will "flesh out" next.

Often I got the "vibe" from this site that Barker's Markers was not a very beloved game.  I personally loved it and miss it greatly.  It was a great 3 prize game with a nice possible cash bonus thrown in.

I loved the board, I loved the rhyming of the original title of the game.  I loved the game play too.

I know many said something to the effect of "Well it's just Double Prices on steroids" but that's okay!  Double Prices sometimes needs that.

It was a very nice and much different three prize game.  Most Expensive/Easy as 1-2-3/One Wrong Price while somewhat different, look very much the same, all played behind door 2, all with similar set pieces as in three large things (numbers or wrong signs or giant blocks).  I enjoy all of those games too don't get me wrong, but Barker's Markers added more variety to the 3 prize games, and I loved its staging.

I also love that the game was housed behind the Giant Price Tag.  It's unfortunate that Drew's gaffe caused the staff to retire it.  This is one game I would not mind seeing return in some way, shape or form.

Online GRWHAMMY the 2nd

• Walking the Golden Road
Re: Pricing Game Fleshing Out: Barker's Markers / Make Your Mark
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2024, 12:38:17 PM »
both times the name was changed to remove the Barker name (2007 with Drew and and TnPIR94 with Doug), it was only played once under the "Make Your Mark" name...

Online SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2024, 07:49:00 PM »
both times the name was changed to remove the Barker name (2007 with Drew and and TnPIR94 with Doug), it was only played once under the "Make Your Mark" name...

Nope.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Online GRWHAMMY the 2nd

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2024, 08:07:04 PM »
wait, was there more than one Make Your Mark playing on one of the two eras i mentioned?

Online SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2024, 10:15:17 PM »
wait, was there more than one Make Your Mark playing on one of the two eras i mentioned?

That does seem to be the implication, yes.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline GameShowFan1987

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The Bob
    • The New Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2024, 10:42:36 PM »
I counted 5 times in season 36...
http://tpirstats.com/Calendars/Season_36_games.html

..and once in season 37 which was the playing that led to its retirement.
http://tpirstats.com/Calendars/Season_37_games.html

It was played only once on the Davidson version though. That playing as well as a few Drew playings are readily available on YouTube.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=price+is+right+make+your+mark

The actual retail price is...

Online gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2024, 07:27:53 AM »
Make Your Mark is easily my favorite three-prizer. It got an incredibly raw deal.

I had always heard it was retired because "Drew made a mistake explaining the rules", and that's true. But I don't think that tells the whole story. What should be more widely known is that mistake was due to an incredibly rare edge case, during Drew's sixth-ever time hosting the game, during the most volatile month of tapings in Price history.

It wasn't even the biggest screwup or the worst explanation in the game's history (that would be this one).

Check out what happened. Be sure to watch the clip in its entirety:

There's one huge detail that I've rarely seen mentioned when discussing Make Your Mark's retirement: Austin hits a perfect bid winning his way up on stage. Austin has won $500 to keep for himself, win or lose, regardless of the outcome of his pricing game. And as we know, Drew only has one $500 wad in his pocket.

This is the first time Drew's ever been in this situation. Drew's supposed to give the player $500 before introducing the game, take it back during the prize description, and hand them the $500 again as if it were a different set of $500 in addition to what they've already won.

And Drew did just that. Drew hands Austin $500 at the GPT. Austin, not knowing better, puts it in his pocket. (That's what I would do if I were suddenly handed $500.) By 2:28, the $500 has reappeared in Drew's pocket. Roger or Scott or whomever rehearsed the game with him must have gone over what to physically do if this ever happens.

But the fact that the same set of bills represents two different prizes from two different games with two different win conditions seems to throw both Drew and Austin off a bit.

Austin places his markers. Drew gives Austin the $500 again. Austin, again, places it in his pocket, same as he did the first time. Drew clarifies, "I have $500 I just gave you--an extra $500 from the $500 you just won." Austin, again, reaches in his pocket to hand Drew the $500 back, just like he did a few moments ago during the description. He must have interpreted it as, "oops, Drew gave me too much money, and I'm only supposed to have $500." I don't blame Austin for having that instinct, it's a confusing situation if you don't know what's going on! (I know what's going on and I'm slightly disoriented!) Drew says, "no, no, I don't want it back. I do want it back if you want to change the mark."

Drew explains the switch option. "If you wanna switch, it'll cost you $500. If you're wrong, you're gonna lose everything, but you keep the $500."

Outside of this specific context, this line would be a departure from way the game is normally played. But... actually, Austin would keep the $500, if by "the $500" Drew meant the perfect bid money represented by the first set of bills.

It's a clumsy description, even a little misleading, but it isn't an explicit change from how the game was normally played. Austin would "lose everything" [in the pricing game, including the $500] and "keep the $500" [from the perfect bid, along with his IUFB].

If Drew stops there, I think it passes muster for a game description. It's not particularly precise, but it's not wrong. Yet. Had Drew said “You keep the $1000”, he would have been wrong. If Drew had clarified that the reason Austin would keep $500 was because of the perfect bid, he would have been fine and the playing would have been salvaged.

Where Drew goes wrong is when he consoles Austin at the very end of the game. He counts the money twice. He forgets that even though both $500 prizes are represented by the same set of bills and are presented the same way, and the $500 found its way into Austin's pocket twice, and there's a set of bills currently in Austin's pocket right now, only one of those sets was "won".

"You have five hundred bucks, you have five hundred bucks for getting it on the nose, you have a thousand bucks..."

This wasn't a particularly unusual error for Drew at this point. The previous playing, taped six weeks prior to this, Drew throws to the game with "we have not one, not two, not three, four really nice priz--THREE really nice prizes..." Presumably Roger was off camera holding up three fingers to get Drew back on track. (Also, presumably that's how Roger got ran over by the cameraman and got Drew to crack up during the playing.)

So, to sum up, if any of the following things had happened...

• Drew had had a smidge more experience
  • Austin hadn't gotten a perfect bid
  • Austin had paid the $500 to switch
  • Austin didn't pay the $500 but stuck with $1589 being a wrong price, like he originally seemed to think
  • The backstage environment hadn't just gone through the most tumultuous month in Price history
  • Somebody was willing to stop tape and tell Drew they had to reshoot the ending

...Make Your Mark might still be here now. And they should absolutely give it another chance now that Drew isn't trying to learn 75 games at once.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2024, 03:58:46 PM by gamesurf »
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline SamJ93

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2024, 07:46:54 AM »
Excellent analysis, gamesurf.

I think that the incident was ultimately just a convenient excuse to retire one of the longer-timed multi-prize games in the rotation. For understandable reasons, the show wants the games that eat up the most airtime to offer prizes that get the biggest reaction from the audience (i.e. cars & cash). If they have to offer 3 or 4 prizes no one gets all that excited about, best to do it with a quickie like Most Expensive, or a much simpler and easier-to-understand game like Shopping Spree.

Offline b_masters8

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2024, 04:27:55 AM »
or a much simpler and easier-to-understand game like Shopping Spree.

Definitely-- you know what you're supposed to do with Shopping Spree (pick the three prizes that are four-digit-priced, while avoiding the one that is only three digits), as opposed to the game we were talking about here, which has far more variables.