Author Topic: New Chuck E. Cheese Game Show in Development... ._.  (Read 1551 times)

Offline Crazanity

• Outside in Line
New Chuck E. Cheese Game Show in Development... ._.
« on: January 16, 2024, 04:22:43 PM »
[https://www.kplctv.com/2024/01/16/chuck-e-cheese-game-show-works/]

I just found out that the producers of "Top Chef" and "Nailed It" are developing a new game show based on, of all things, Chuck E. Cheese. According to the article it's going to feature life-sized versions of games like air hockey and claw machines, and whoever gets the most tickets will be able to choose from a "massive version of the Chuck E. Cheese prize wall".

Honestly, as fond as I am of Chuck E. Cheese, because I have nice memories of going there as a child... I'm not too keen on this idea. I think this may end up being one of the biggest bombs in game show history.

What are your thoughts?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2024, 06:10:56 PM by Crazanity »

Offline GRWHAMMY the 2nd

• Walking the Golden Road
Re: New Chuck E. Cheese Game Show in Development... ._.
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2024, 05:12:36 PM »
did you mean to post in triplicate?

Offline Crazanity

• Outside in Line
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2024, 05:36:46 PM »
I didn't know of that chat. I saw there were various game show related posts in the Out of Left Field channel, so I thought that was where this would belong.

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2024, 05:49:24 PM »
Apparently, nothing was learned from the LotHT reboot. You don’t take something intended for kids and market it for adults only.

Offline GRWHAMMY the 2nd

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2024, 05:57:42 PM »
[https://www.kplctv.com/2024/01/16/chuck-e-cheese-game-show-works/]

I just found out that the producers of "Top Chef" and "Nailed It" are developing a new game show based on, of all things, Chuck E. Cheese. According to the article it's going to feature life-sized versions of games like air hockey and claw machines, and whoever gets the most tickets will be able to choose from a "massive version of the Chuck E. Cheese prize wall".

Honestly, as fond as I am of Chuck E. Cheese, because I have nice memories of going there as a child... I'm not too keen on this idea. I think this may end up being one of the biggest bombs in game show history.

What are your thoughts?

What are your thoughts?[/url]

What are your thoughts?

what i meant was that the text you copied/pasted appeared three times in your original post

Offline Crazanity

• Outside in Line
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2024, 06:10:41 PM »
what i meant was that the text you copied/pasted appeared three times in your original post

Oh, that was accidental. I'll edit it now.

Online htmlcc92

• Double Showcase Winner
  • "Mrs. Peacock was a man?!"
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2024, 08:19:00 PM »
Apparently, nothing was learned from the LotHT reboot. You don’t take something intended for kids and market it for adults only.

Sorry, what’s LotHT?
There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.

Offline DR12Price

• Outside in Line
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2024, 08:32:54 PM »
     Good grief...

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2024, 08:37:36 PM »
Sorry, what’s LotHT?

Legends of the Hidden Temple.

Online SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2024, 08:51:28 PM »
Awww I loved Legends of the Hidden Temple!  That program was tremendous.  That being said, if a show for kids is for anyone but the kids, it's probably not going to last into another season.  That I pretty much agree
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline jude_este

• Camp Old School Sci-Fi
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2024, 08:53:55 PM »
This possible Chuck E. Cheese game show is a Saturday Night Live sketch or a comedy bit off some social media page coming into actual fruition that the other entertainment sites joke about in the coming days when they pick up the news story. And given the production company's business relationships with Netflix for Nailed It and NBC-Universal for Top Chef, why do I feel this will likely air on one of them as a one and done show as the other members have said.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2024, 08:59:45 PM by jude_este »

Offline Trevor Tuominen

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2024, 09:19:57 PM »
While I myself am a fan of CEC and its history, I agree that this isn't going to work out.
"Take your job seriously, but don't take yourself too seriously." - Alex Trebek, 1940-2020

Icon by Siahri!

Offline whowouldeverhurtawhammy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2024, 11:43:41 AM »

The LOTHT reboot was far from perfect, but it had the right sense of direction needed to appeal to adults. The only reason it failed was due to the pandemic.

As for Chuck E. Cheese having a game show, I'd have to wait and see how this is supposed to play out first because this does seem like a new approach, regardless of whether it's appealing to kids or adults. If the game show has the right amount of challenge and appeal to the adult audience it's meant to appeal to, it will succeed. Then again, the above argument of not taking something intended for kids and market it for adults could've been argued when Double Dare expanded to become Family Double Dare (let alone, returned as Double Dare 2000); yet, that concept worked out fine.
(to the tune of Sailor Moon)
Guessing prices by moonlight, winning cars by day light, never losing to a real fight, I am the one named...WHAAAAT?!?!

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2024, 05:55:44 PM »
Then again, the above argument of not taking something intended for kids and market it for adults could've been argued when Double Dare expanded to become Family Double Dare (let alone, returned as Double Dare 2000); yet, that concept worked out fine.

The difference is on the family versions, kids were still playing the game and the show was still more or less intended for kids. With parents playing the game with their kids, the appeal grew. Kids would never turn down an opportunity to get their parents messy. 2000 still had some issues, though. It was an attempt to bring the show to a new age that just didn’t connect.

When you take a game that worked with kids, and the kids aren’t the main focus, the appeal suffers. After Double Dare initially took off, they tried doing adult versions. For obvious reasons, the pilots didn’t sell. Same would go with College Mad House, which did go to series but had nowhere near the staying power that Fun House did.

I’d like to hear more on why the pandemic was solely responsible for a game show failing.

Offline GRWHAMMY the 2nd

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2024, 06:04:47 PM »
to be fair, DD2K had other issues other than parents being involved (mainly that Triple Dare Challenge eating up most of round 2)