Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 2/7/2024 (TPiR at Night: Super Bowl 58 Special)  (Read 2548 times)

Offline sideshowPA

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: TPiR Recap - 2/7/2024 (TPiR at Night: Super Bowl 58 Special)
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2024, 11:39:13 AM »
Not that it really matters, since no one was trying to actually price the prize offered, they just had to put an estimated value on it.

Given that a potential winner pays taxes on the value, the declared value certainly does matter and can't be simply invented for convenience.
"I don't want to hear disorganized beeping." - Bob Barker

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2024, 11:39:41 AM »
Hey, you know what really isn't good game show music?  The theme from The NFL on CBS every time anything significant happens for an entire freaking hour.  Doing that was probably out of Price's control, but that doesn't mean it was any less stupid of whoever did control it.

I'd argue that the NFL on CBS theme isn't good music, period!
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline GRWHAMMY the 2nd

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2024, 12:24:48 PM »
... heck, they’re even airing the game on Nickelodeon with added cartoony effects and the cast of SpongeBob SquarePants doing the play by play (!!!).

But if it makes for good Price I suppose I should count my blessings and move on.

if anything good comes out of this, it's the Sweet Victory opening that they're redoing for the Super Bowl broadcast (which i'm surprised hasn't been linked to in the OILF thread on the NFL season prior to me making this post)

Offline Champ2399

• Outside in Line
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2024, 02:15:39 PM »
So fantastic that the contestant in the Jason Kelce jersey played the game Mrs. Kelce presented.
The NFL package comes across as an amazing prize on TV, but I have been trying to parse out the overall value. Total estimates here...feel free to add your thoughts.
17 NFL games...about $200 a ticket...2 tickets each game = $6800
36 hotel nights. This has a lot of variability to it. I settles on $150 a night, but this feels low = $5400
12 round-trip flights. Cheap-o airline, but to be safe I have $500 per round trip = $6000
So I get to $18200, before I include the rideshares, which I have no idea how to price.

In the end - cheap hotels (?) + cheap airline. I'd likely just take the NFL tickets and sell most of them on the secondary market!

Between the tape date and the airing, the NFL announced the Eagles are playing a regular season game in Brazil this upcoming September.  For budget purposes, the show was fortunate the game wasn't won!

Also - the contestant was from Los Angeles but would get to go to all Eagles games?  With only 12 flights, seems like they would be on their own for airfare some games, even though the tickets are included?  The Eagles are actually scheduled to play in LA this season against the Rams so that helps.

Offline ooboh

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2024, 02:34:13 PM »
I'd argue that the NFL on CBS theme isn't good music, period!

You’re entitled to your opinion, no matter how incredibly wrong it is!

Offline AussieEvil

• Not Hurt By Pain™
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2024, 03:03:01 PM »
It sounded like they were just using the album cut of Posthumus Zone instead of the actual cuts CBS Sports uses. I would have used this for the "come on down" part: https://youtu.be/fz6N7EnHmGk and then transitioned to the proper 2023 intro cut at "You are the first four...": https://youtu.be/55FQ7sFS3HY

Honestly, the way the music was actually used for this episode reminds me of how Family Feud just prefers to butcher the main Combs theme for every cue.
"Fans are clingy complaining dipshits who will never ever be grateful for any concession you make. The moment you shut out their shrill, tremulous voices the happier you will be for it."

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2024, 03:21:41 PM »
See, now those edits actually sound decent. Why the show didn't use them is anybody's guess. They did the same during the SB50 special a few years back too.
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline GRWHAMMY the 2nd

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2024, 03:26:45 PM »

Honestly, the way the music was actually used for this episode reminds me of how Family Feud just prefers to butcher the main Combs theme for every cue.

Same can be said for the current ABC/Banks run of Press Your Luck

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2024, 06:19:16 PM »
You’re entitled to your opinion, no matter how incredibly wrong it is!

I think the theme is okay.  I can take it or leave it.  However, as mentioned, it could've been done better.  TBH, I think I could've done without it.  Maybe here & there, but whatever.

For me, what would've been better is if they used the theme that was used before FOX took the NFC package from CBS.  That one was tremendous!
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2024, 06:21:34 PM »
Hey … not a bad decision to bail in Hot Seat with $50,000, even if this caused the contestant to miss out on much more. It’s been said before, but $50,000 pays a lot of bills and can make a real difference.

Brian

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2024, 09:05:02 PM »
Aside from all the awesomeness everyone has already mentioned (and man, there was a lot), one really neat thing seems to have passed most of us by:  During Cover Up, you could see a guy in the audience whose shirt had a cartoon of Drew, himself, and his (I assume) wife riding the Tugboat.
Well no wonder he didn't get called up... he didn't get the memo that Tuggs is dead. :P

S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Online JT

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2024, 08:59:37 AM »
Great show with a lot of BIG winners!  Yes the Double Over in the Showcase is a downer on a special like this one, but they missed an opportunity not to make it such a downer.   Drew could have done a better job and say something - we still have 2 big winners tonight, Johnna won $50,000 cash and Todd won over $130K including a new Hummer.   And erase those red OVER signs on the displays once Drew says it's a double over.  It just makes you focus on the last 30 seconds of the show and nothing else.