Author Topic: Step up  (Read 2012 times)

Offline brosa0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The answer is meat
Re: Step up
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2024, 07:08:41 PM »
Step Up is one of my favourite pricing games but it had the same flaw as one of my other favourite games, Magic #, in that the game's prop/set did not help the contestant understand how to play the game - and in fact I think it confused the contestant due to the cash amounts displayed.

It would have greatly benefited from replacing the cash amount displays with a monitor to support the game's explanation.   The monitor could've displayed 4 ascending steps with "Least Expensive --> Most Expensive" underneath it, along with the bailout cash total amount to be displayed underneath each step as they progress through the game (similar to It's In The Bag).  The contestant's selections for each step could then be displayed with the name or an image of the prize placed on the top of each step.

I would also change the gameplay so that:
1) the contestant places all four prizes in order from least expensive to most expensive before anything else happens;
2) then, as each price is revealed, the contestant has the option at each step to either a) bailout with the prizes and cash already won, or b) to go on, playing for the next step and prize they already selected for that step, or c) to go on, but if they think the price of the prize on the next step is less than the price just revealed they are allowed to swap it with one of the other prizes that hasn't yet had its price revealed.

Given how long the game is for a four-prizer, I'd also consider just making it a cash/small item game.  The above changes would make it play similar to It's In The Bag and Hot Seat where the pricing is done first, then the bailout options are the main focus of the second part of the game which simplifies it for the contestant and makes it easier for the host to build drama around the bailout portion of the game.

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2024, 01:08:37 AM »
I quite liked Step Up. I didn't see much that needed fixing besides the explanation.

"You'll start by picking the least expensive prize. Every prize after it has to be more expensive--a step up--from the prize that came before it. We'll throw in some cash after every time you step up to sweeten the pot. If you ever step down, you lose everything. You can bail with what you've won if you're not sure you're able to step up."

No need to overcomplicate it (which Bob tended to do), but it also sets the stakes and gives the folks at home appropriate context for what's going to happen.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2024, 02:54:36 PM »
I always found the cash ladder confusing in the game - it took me a long time to figure out you received $3,000 for a perfect playing, and not the $1,500 shown at the top.

I always thought the "bullet point" design of the sign was confusing.

Offline tpirfansince1972

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2024, 04:53:00 PM »
I am surprised Roger allowed this game, as I know at least once in an interview he preferred games that were an all or nothing scenario.

Step Up permitted early bailouts so a player could win 2 or 3 prizes plus $500 or $1,500 in cash without going all the way.

I personally like games that allow for partial wins sometimes, 1 prize won in Clock Game, 1 or 2 Race Game prizes to cite a couple of examples.

I agree the time constraint situation was a big part of why this game had to fall by the wayside, sadly.