Author Topic: Staff Member in audience  (Read 666 times)

Offline tonygrace

• In the Audience
Staff Member in audience
« on: March 11, 2024, 12:23:59 AM »
We’re seeing a lot of early-1980s episodes airing on Pluto and GameTV, during which someone who sits behind a table or booth at the far back right-hand side of the audience is often shown on camera, particularly when contestants from the back row are called, and making their way over to the few steps that lead down to the top of the aisle in front of the table.

Amusingly, there sometimes appears to be an inside joking involving the crew, where the staff member sometimes smirks or makes a face while still on camera.

Something tells me I read somewhere once that it’s the show’s audio engineer, but my memory has lost it to time. I also feel like they were never pointed out on air.

Y’all probably have dealt with this question but who is this mystery person (and the other, sometimes more subdued alternate staffer who’s often shown on cam in the same spot)?

Offline Chief-O

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Staff Member in audience
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2024, 09:26:44 AM »
I'm pretty sure it's the house sound engineer, who mixes the sound the audience hears in studio. The main audio engineer would be in the control room.

If that "more subdued" staff member is wearing a red suit coat, then they're a CBS page.

Offline jhc2010

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2024, 03:18:32 PM »
The main audio engineer would be in the control room.
Was the control room located behind the Studio 33 curtains on an upper floor? I seem to remember reading that somewhere.

Offline ClockGameJohn

• TPiR Alumnus &
  • Executive Producer
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2024, 08:48:15 PM »
Was the control room located behind the Studio 33 curtains on an upper floor? I seem to remember reading that somewhere.

The audio booth was located above the studio adjacent to the main control room, but separate.

The person who was sitting in the audience was indeed a CBS audio technician, not a show “staffer.” Bob was quite particular about the studio acoustics which had to be adjusted regularly based on audience noise.
John