Author Topic: Total Solar Eclipse - Monday, April 8  (Read 1314 times)

Offline tpiradam

• 11/13/2018
  • TPiR Alumnus
    • http://adamb.one-dollar.us
Re: Total Solar Eclipse - Monday, April 8
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2024, 06:21:01 PM »
I was driving so I didn't get to actually see it but it was really cool. Not 100% in the path but we experienced what I would call 8pm at 3:15pm. Headlights were on as were every street light and sign.

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2024, 06:31:44 PM »
I sat on my porch and enjoyed a nice three minutes of totality...it was very serene, very peaceful.
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2024, 07:27:26 PM »
My vantage point wasn't that great, though being in the home comforts was fair enough.  Just something where it looked & felt like night during the day...AND where bad weather was the cause
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline BillyGr

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2024, 09:11:27 PM »
As we got close (we were supposed to be 96%), the lighting looked much like a more daytime version of what one would expect on a night with a full moon (that is, the more white color you get from the moon vs. the normal sun coloring).

Earlier in the process (maybe 30-40% of the way in), it kind of looked like what we were seeing last year when all that smoke from Canada was coming through and partially obscuring the sun.

Once it passed the maximum, we started getting more clouds, so it was harder to tell (more like a normal cloudy day would look).

Offline Superballer

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2024, 09:55:51 PM »
It was cloudier than hoped for here, but I still got to experience part of a 90% coverage area, with it getting noticeably dusky during the eclipse's peak. 

Offline Game Girl

• In Contestant's Row
  • game girl was a nickname for game boy as a kid.
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2024, 12:40:10 AM »
ps for those seeing that edit count I did not want to get bounced so I kept saving it. how is the still so long it feels like it is only about 5 to 6 sentences.

me and my dad left at around like 415am (I was still up I fell asleep in the car) and we got home at about 340am the next day, (to be fair we did get to the place at 11am but we had to wait to leave) we were not driving 24 hours straight like the timing suggest. (I found out where the hotel that was cancelled it was Rochester but we went elsewhere) when we got there there was also a guy playing trippy "grateful dead style music" (dad's words not mine) both during (the whole partial eclipse) and we were on a picnic basket.

We lucked out overall, the only thing that happened wrong was because 3 devices died. my camera dies after one photo. then two phones died one after the other. so we had some unwanted stress. none of the spoiled the eclipse though just makes me feel bad about my organisation skills that three devices died within a 2 minute period. I turn my mind to the eclipse and I guess I forgot the phone as well as dad's nonsense (I am just happy my phone did not actually drop in the water).overall at least I took a few right before the eclipse when the sun is shining brightly before (explained below). this still was a great experience even with the one minute of us arguing still left us with a little time to watch it.

for those not there it really is not at all like those professional photos, you see a great white dots and other dots that you see that is also cool in the center not sure if it's the sun or the moon but it looks great. also before it there is amazing sun effect that is almost heavenly which I mentioned quickly above. I guess hopefully I will be around to see it if I am not busy with with kids and a job that will not give me off by then. so that will be the end of eclipse hunting for quite a bit.

A picture I took of totality in Little Rock:
Great job thanks for sharing this.

edit - this thing is too long and turned into a complaint form. I like the events sorry just came out so bad. I really did have a good time even if all of that happened. more importantly I love my dad despite all of the whole situation. I am actually very thankful for him for many things he has done including help me go. I probably edited this over 30 times trying to shrink this.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2024, 02:02:46 PM by Game Girl »

Offline Game Girl

• In Contestant's Row
  • game girl was a nickname for game boy as a kid.
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2024, 12:48:35 AM »
Anyway has anyone seen this broadcast of CBS had. (I recorded both ABC on CBS just in case something actually happened with the drive considering we were doing an overnight thing though could have easily turn bad) these are like the worst reporters I have ever seen who wrote the script these are cringey at best. I have seen high school students write better These honestly sound like 2 graders and I do not mean vocabulary rise that would be fine I mean second grade organisation and maturity. I am watching it just too laugh. (when the people start did the broadcasting "if you can hear my voice get out", which is probably the opposite of what sponsors want someone to say, I agree but it is definitely what they not supposed to say not to mention they did not mention safety equipment) second place was with a named it "a electric phone", something of which is usually called a phone. also for goodness sake no one wants to hear about ginger ginger cookie in the sky. actually what is O'Donald not doing anything and leaving it to him, she is the one in charge of the national news on the channel I am not sure why she's letting it go. I am only a half hour in and I am laughing myself off. I like the person from Russellville Arkansas. I actually recorded this thinking it was going to be watching the eclipse with country music. (hence it being called "heartland") when O'Donnell did speak about the eclipse, first she almost actually looked at the live sun and forgot to look away but I love how she said "I saw a lot of things" but still was impressed. Also this male host (not sure his name) cannot host to  save his life I really hope they don't get him again.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2024, 01:43:10 AM by Game Girl »

Offline mellongraig

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2024, 07:24:09 PM »
I also want to jump in and say that I saw the eclipse as well in person - as I was just outside the path of totality by that much I had to travel a little northeast to be on the path of totality to the cottage that I usually go during the summertime and it was well worth it. Skies were mostly clear although traffic was backed up to and from the destination we went to.

Offline whowouldeverhurtawhammy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2024, 07:26:56 PM »
I had to travel to Sulphur Springs, TX., to be within the line of totality, as Tomball, TX. (near Houston) was getting rained on...not to mention only got 95% coverage. The sight was immense.
(to the tune of Sailor Moon)
Guessing prices by moonlight, winning cars by day light, never losing to a real fight, I am the one named...WHAAAAT?!?!