Studio 46 - Non-TPiR Discussion > Out In Left Field

Masters 2024 Golf

(1/3) > >>

Game Girl:
this is more of a placeholder (just in case I forget in all the eclipse action) since I think SeaBreeze341 has passed it to me. (though I am definitely hoping you give some commentary too)

it will be on the 13th and 14th of April a little over a week from now. This time hopefully it could get better attention since it's not against a single basketball tournament and on easter. (my DVR still bugs if something is more than 3 hours, usually I would record it in progress, I actually did that but earlier (around 116pm) then the three hour max since I was going to family)

jhc2010:
This is Verne Lundquist’s final Masters broadcast. He will be officially retired from CBS Sports after the tournament. Verne is 83 and joined CBS Sports in 1982.

SeaBreeze341:

--- Quote from: jhc2010 on April 05, 2024, 12:04:20 AM ---This is Verne Lundquist’s final Masters broadcast. He will be officially retired from CBS Sports after the tournament. Verne is 83 and joined CBS Sports in 1982.

--- End quote ---

Verne has called it quits in various sports over the past 8 years.  He did mention around this time a year or two ago that this appears to be the final act.  That was confirmed a month or two ago.  Still, it's going to be odd not hearing him call action from the 16th going forward.

--- Quote from: Game Girl on April 04, 2024, 11:39:59 PM ---this is more of a placeholder (just in case I forget in all the eclipse action) since I think SeaBreeze341 has passed it to me. (though I am definitely hoping you give some commentary too)

it will be on the 13th and 14th of April a little over a week from now. This time hopefully it could get better attention since it's not against a single basketball tournament and on easter. (my DVR still bugs if something is more than 3 hours, usually I would record it in progress, I actually did that but earlier (around 116pm) then the three hour max since I was going to family)

--- End quote ---

It's all yours, Game Girl.  I'm (still) in hoops mode, but to be honest, I wasn't planning on starting the thread anyway.  Had we been 5 days into the future (Wednesday before the Masters), I'd still wouldn't get to it.

I haven't thought of anything yet, but if all goes well, I should be able to add to any discussion for this year's event.  There's just a lot going on that it's even impacted football & currently, basketball.  Hopefully your DVR cooperates this year!

Game Girl:
they did a special called Masters highlights. not exactly sure what that means considering the tournament did not start (usually it begins on Friday and this year Saturday based on broadcasting schedules). it was a cool thing to watch but it is mostly something you watch to see all of the great shots not something that you can really use to follow the players. (this is not NFL summarizes like I thought it was going to be) it also ends stronger than it begins.

it does explain 3 of the popular players which was good. Scheffler and DeChambeau got more complete segments. Hojgaard got a similar segment but without the interview, three other people had something longer than 10 seconds. I love how everything was to the point and overall explained well. they also showed the kids tournaments which was cute to watch the one or two scenes they had. I guess that's it for the basics a few other things were in there but this is a quick summary , funny thing as I was explaining the system I realized the masters always goes overtime and recorded the thing that's on next with five minutes before to be safe hopefully I can guarantee the ending and the first two hours will be connected to the pregame. everything else is up in the air. in theory the worst should be that it just can't be skipped around but I am trying to take the most precautions to make sure everything goes right. thank you for wishing me luck.

SeaBreeze341:
They've been doing that for the past number of years between the late night local news and the Late Show.  While I have it to view, it's not something I'd make time to watch live.  ESPN & Sportscenter have more than enough coverage, as does the Golf Channel, so really not a big need for that late night 15-minute special.

As for the action, Max Homa had the best second day combined with the overall outcome after 36 holes.  It's a 3-way tie with him, Scottie, and Bryson (-6).  Morikawa is 3 shots back, and the Cams are both 5 shots back.

To be fair Tiger has a chance, and Rahm, well, at least made the weekend.  Rory will be playing this weekend as well.  Unless proven otherwise, however, Jack's record at Augusta is safe, Jon will be putting the green jacket on someone else, and the number of career grand slam winners will remain the same.

The only big name that missed is Spieth.  Though Jordan played okay, the issue of blowing everything in one single hole was present.

Biggest headline is a new record.  24 straight made cuts at the Masters for the 5-time Masters champion.  That, I believe is a records in major events outright.  No more than 40 people have even played in over 2 dozen major events in their lifetime.  Woods' 100th round at the Masters is scheduled for Sunday, April 14, 2024.

No matter where Tiger Woods finishes, there will be extensive coverage on him.  Not sure about Jon Rahm as the reigning champion, but he is further back to the leaders compared to the 15-time major champion.  So many people have a shot, but not a decent chance since the weather is actually decent.  Finally, I can't see both Scottie & Bryson falling.  If they both exit, them that's golf.  However, as mentioned, Smith and Young are still within reach; I can see both Cameron players finishing strong this weekend

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version