Author Topic: Masters 2024 Golf  (Read 562 times)

Offline Game Girl

• In Contestant's Row
  • game girl was a nickname for game boy as a kid.
Masters 2024 Golf
« on: April 04, 2024, 11:39:59 PM »
this is more of a placeholder (just in case I forget in all the eclipse action) since I think SeaBreeze341 has passed it to me. (though I am definitely hoping you give some commentary too)

it will be on the 13th and 14th of April a little over a week from now. This time hopefully it could get better attention since it's not against a single basketball tournament and on easter. (my DVR still bugs if something is more than 3 hours, usually I would record it in progress, I actually did that but earlier (around 116pm) then the three hour max since I was going to family)

Offline jhc2010

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Masters 2024 Golf
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2024, 12:04:20 AM »
This is Verne Lundquist’s final Masters broadcast. He will be officially retired from CBS Sports after the tournament. Verne is 83 and joined CBS Sports in 1982.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2024, 11:29:02 PM »
This is Verne Lundquist’s final Masters broadcast. He will be officially retired from CBS Sports after the tournament. Verne is 83 and joined CBS Sports in 1982.

Verne has called it quits in various sports over the past 8 years.  He did mention around this time a year or two ago that this appears to be the final act.  That was confirmed a month or two ago.  Still, it's going to be odd not hearing him call action from the 16th going forward.

this is more of a placeholder (just in case I forget in all the eclipse action) since I think SeaBreeze341 has passed it to me. (though I am definitely hoping you give some commentary too)

it will be on the 13th and 14th of April a little over a week from now. This time hopefully it could get better attention since it's not against a single basketball tournament and on easter. (my DVR still bugs if something is more than 3 hours, usually I would record it in progress, I actually did that but earlier (around 116pm) then the three hour max since I was going to family)

It's all yours, Game Girl.  I'm (still) in hoops mode, but to be honest, I wasn't planning on starting the thread anyway.  Had we been 5 days into the future (Wednesday before the Masters), I'd still wouldn't get to it.

I haven't thought of anything yet, but if all goes well, I should be able to add to any discussion for this year's event.  There's just a lot going on that it's even impacted football & currently, basketball.  Hopefully your DVR cooperates this year!
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline Game Girl

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2024, 01:52:45 AM »
they did a special called Masters highlights. not exactly sure what that means considering the tournament did not start (usually it begins on Friday and this year Saturday based on broadcasting schedules). it was a cool thing to watch but it is mostly something you watch to see all of the great shots not something that you can really use to follow the players. (this is not NFL summarizes like I thought it was going to be) it also ends stronger than it begins.

it does explain 3 of the popular players which was good. Scheffler and DeChambeau got more complete segments. Hojgaard got a similar segment but without the interview, three other people had something longer than 10 seconds. I love how everything was to the point and overall explained well. they also showed the kids tournaments which was cute to watch the one or two scenes they had. I guess that's it for the basics a few other things were in there but this is a quick summary , funny thing as I was explaining the system I realized the masters always goes overtime and recorded the thing that's on next with five minutes before to be safe hopefully I can guarantee the ending and the first two hours will be connected to the pregame. everything else is up in the air. in theory the worst should be that it just can't be skipped around but I am trying to take the most precautions to make sure everything goes right. thank you for wishing me luck.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2024, 11:56:35 AM »
They've been doing that for the past number of years between the late night local news and the Late Show.  While I have it to view, it's not something I'd make time to watch live.  ESPN & Sportscenter have more than enough coverage, as does the Golf Channel, so really not a big need for that late night 15-minute special.

As for the action, Max Homa had the best second day combined with the overall outcome after 36 holes.  It's a 3-way tie with him, Scottie, and Bryson (-6).  Morikawa is 3 shots back, and the Cams are both 5 shots back.

To be fair Tiger has a chance, and Rahm, well, at least made the weekend.  Rory will be playing this weekend as well.  Unless proven otherwise, however, Jack's record at Augusta is safe, Jon will be putting the green jacket on someone else, and the number of career grand slam winners will remain the same.

The only big name that missed is Spieth.  Though Jordan played okay, the issue of blowing everything in one single hole was present.

Biggest headline is a new record.  24 straight made cuts at the Masters for the 5-time Masters champion.  That, I believe is a records in major events outright.  No more than 40 people have even played in over 2 dozen major events in their lifetime.  Woods' 100th round at the Masters is scheduled for Sunday, April 14, 2024.

No matter where Tiger Woods finishes, there will be extensive coverage on him.  Not sure about Jon Rahm as the reigning champion, but he is further back to the leaders compared to the 15-time major champion.  So many people have a shot, but not a decent chance since the weather is actually decent.  Finally, I can't see both Scottie & Bryson falling.  If they both exit, them that's golf.  However, as mentioned, Smith and Young are still within reach; I can see both Cameron players finishing strong this weekend

Offline BillyGr

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2024, 07:14:03 PM »
they did a special called Masters highlights. not exactly sure what that means considering the tournament did not start (usually it begins on Friday and this year Saturday based on broadcasting schedules).

It began on Thursday, though some issues with rain meant many players were doing a round plus Friday to catch up.

I think they often broadcast some of it on cable those first couple days, with CBS network getting the weekend coverage.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2024, 10:44:12 AM »
ESPN gets Thursday & Friday, and CBS gets Saturday & Sunday.  Pretty much routine with the other events on the PGA tour.  Except Golf Channel would get the first two days, and CBS or NBC depending on the event finish things off on the weekend starting at 3:00 PM Eastern (sometimes 2:00, usually on Sunday).  Usually the cable or other platforms start things on the weekend in the AM until midday.  Not all the events are the same in terms of start times & networks.

As for Sunday at the Masters, final pairings include Bryson & Xander (Third-to-Last Group) ; Aberg & Homa (Penultimate Pairing Group) ; and Scheffler & Morikawa (Final Pairing).  Within the Top 5, from one player to the next, it's a one-shot separation (from -7 to -3, DeChambeau's spot).  Schauffele is among 3 people tied at -2, and then the final 4 players in red figures include the two Camerons.

I neglected to mention the third Cameron (Davis -2) on Saturday.  He's five back.  Also, Fleetwood has a shot, but there's just a lot of people within reach so he would probably have to shot a 62 and hope someone just do 50% of that.

FWIW, I think 7 of the past 8 winners came from the last group.  Probably should've been 8 for 8.  Feels like it's been the case over the past dozen years.  While we have a chance to see Homa win, someone new & unknown win, along with Bryson, if the trend holds we're either getting yet another player that's one event away from the career grand slam, OR another trend (where a year ending in the number 4 features Player A who put a green jacket on Player B who put a green jacket on Player A in a different year within a 3-year period)

Offline mellongraig

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2024, 02:22:32 PM »
And if a playoff were to occur in the Masters it would be a sudden death format, just like all other regular season golf tournaments (except for The Players Championship which is a three hole aggregate playoff format). All the other majors on the PGA Tour use an aggregate playoff system.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2024, 06:55:11 PM »
I'm not sure what Scottie Scheffler did during Monday's eclipse, but a couple things, IMO, are true.  With his second jacket in 3 years, he eclipsed his first performance.  More important, by the end of the month, his story eclipsed at least most of those that were treated to a very nice time.  Fortunately, he didn't have to bolt mid tournament & back to Texas to be there for the birth of his first child.  Which, by the way is bigger than both of his wins at Augusta.

All jokes aside, one thing is isn't a joke is Scottie is definitely the best player in the world.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2024, 07:00:13 PM by SeaBreeze341 »

Offline Game Girl

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2024, 03:50:36 PM »
It began on Thursday, though some issues with rain meant many players were doing a round plus Friday to catch up.

I think they often broadcast some of it on cable those first couple days, with CBS network getting the weekend coverage.

ops I just look on the CBS guide and judge from that. I actually did not know there was a golf channel until I did a search earlier today about announcer. I do not get either of those channels (my plan does not even get fox sports) I would not call you 'barebone' but basically has a few specialty channels, fx and a few other language channels, along with a lot of PBS secondary channels. anything sports specialty related would be a separate subscription. granted I just assumed that something like this would have been exclusive license like most sports I noticed at least for the final event rather than the whole tour.

Scheffler and DeChambeau are the two I noticed most at the end of Saturday (which I watched a little bit towards the last few minutes) though I was definitely looking towards Homa.

Offline Game Girl

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2024, 03:53:54 PM »
I am going to put a combination casual viewer style perspective here in terms of the tv broadcast commentary along with adding a few extra things about the gameplay. this is might crash and burn but I am trying to test something above my traditional broadcast rant for my third year. golly this is long as a paste it onto the thing, are usually do one paragraph on anything I like and that's how it became this long. this is actually edited for hours but I am kind of out of time for this.

I feel they are doing better with keeping the names on the screen for the players with a exception of towards the end, which since they obviously use a different system I would go into at that portion. on other things I think they should make the hole number more obvious. I figured where the names are located which pops in and out of existence fourth actually means fourth hole but I originally thought it meant fourth place. there is definitely space to put the word hole in if they slightly shrink the unused portion in which they would have to be over 1000 par to be used. towards the end on the mini leaderboard I thought they were listing the holes in one of the columns (thinking maybe that's why they do not emphasise it) but they said Fleetwood was on hole 69 (something I know it does not exist) so I must be getting something wrong.

in terms of the commentary its self we had our momentary food related comments at 3:32, weird timing for one of the more popular players was currently swinging but overall it was pretty good. though mentioned his burrito order a few more times, and this is not the first year he mentioned it and I cannot remember who he was talking about just burritos. is this something I am missing here because it feels like there is, is it sponsor related or are they just hungry (they showed someone eating on the course later on making me not sure of the rules). granted everything else in general at least after the approximate 2 hour point (which I begin at for this) was on topic. but now the watchability report is done let's get to the actual game.

Morikawa and Homa hits with the ball leaving hole on the edge of hole 5 was heartbreaking remembering like any time ball slides out does. I do not think I could emphasize a shock in which Aberg came up from behind. he sure put up a show and emphasize that sometimes the ones that get attention initially can come up and get up there. someone got their digital kit to make a quick slide around the time he started to get into a tie for the first place to introduce the viewers to his career. (which was done nicely like most if not all of the slides are) if I have to say the most hilarious quotes would be "Who needs experience when you have all the shots". (hilarious because no one actually just walks onto a Masters course but shows the shock related to his lack of name recognition) (wow I think I phrased that 50 to 70 times, it is really hard to explain)

A quick mention of Adam Scott having a decent game along with them mentioning him having a record at one point. why do they keep pushing Fleetwood on us is beyond me. I have nothing personally against him but I also do not have anything personally with him. he seems to be one of those players that never really makes it past anything. would have preferred more Hojgaard rather than Fleetwood. (Who got the fair share but seem to begin being shown less than Fleetwood though around the same leaderboard level) or cycle through some of the obscure players that they seem to do when someone forgets a ball or something giving them some tv time. (edit - I just realize this would probably make confusion for casual viewers. I forgot that some of the hole differences are very large.)

they mentioned this hole (hit by Scotty) being mystical and it being a really good shot which it definitely was but it would have been nice to have something in the corner reminding us which hole it is unless 'the hole in which people lose their green jackets over' is actually the official title. (I think they said 10, but was showing first 9 afterwards, it was a great comment, really beautiful but it cannot be the only name given) on a DVR I can pause remind you but not worth rewinding until they fix system issue) they show a replay after Morikawa and did not mention which hole it was in the replay.

those water trap shots (two within a few minutes) sure were a surprise and for the follow with someone hitting in in the bush which they have to search for. this was definitely one of the more engaging moments of the tournament even if it was something you would not want to happen to you. in which I did like how they were able to put the photo of the person shooting in the corner of the screen as the bar was falling. 400 to 530 was done the same night from the DVR. luckily I got back to fixing all of everything by the last two holes so I did these 'live' and separate because when I posted it it was not seabreeze size but Price is right faq size (well maybe not that big but still).
« Last Edit: April 19, 2024, 08:54:15 PM by Game Girl »

Offline Game Girl

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2024, 04:08:23 PM »
I decided to separate them so they could be on two different pages. (somehow it ended on the same page but still) all times are Eastern standard, this one was done 'live'. these weird aerial photos are just confusing at best. that flag bump was definitely something that must have been disappointing. I have to say at 539 never heard so many loud bird noises on this recorded, I actually thought it was digitally added it was so loud. this is complete curiosity (and would likely not have been mentioned if nature commentary was not in the Saturday pre-game) but if anyone knows what was going on I would love to hear. there were so many good shots on the last few holes both in terms of very good successes and very breaking near misses that we would be here all day to list them. So good that even though I had trouble keeping track of where everyone was it was still enjoyable to watch. it did not feel most important to know how everything is going but just to see the great game play.  towards the end a noticeable delay (around the time it takes for someone to warm up) for showing the names and eventually highlighting the mini leaderboard when they stop showing names.

Scotty Scheffler's bunker shot was sure something else. even a bigger distance and then the one I remember from back in 2022 when I began reviewing. I am kind of shocked that the announcer basically said that no one realised scotty was a "star" during his last swing. I cannot really imagine any doubt on that this year since he had a gigantic amount of attention all across the board. thinking back I am wondering if that speech was made for Aberg since that speech would have fit him better. I kinda of do not understand why they pushed Tiger Wood's game He might not even been close to the leaderboard, but he is definitely the name you know so putting him in a more prominent spot points and will probably make sense. (he was out before 3) I have the first two hours on a separate thing with the spanish inspiration and well likely do something at least with lesser known's later.

Not sure why they did not do the jacket on the course like at 2022, I think having the jacket ceremony around all of the foliage really looked beautiful and emphasize the 'course feeling' along with improved pacing. this year it was a blink and you miss it.

A lot of those names (but not all) I would definitely not have gotten without a quick rewind during commercials which led to a few gaps but this was a very good game and the commentary from the sections I paid attention to seem to be more on topic then some other years (I am looking at 2022). A day where a few passing burrito comments are the worst is a good day. This review on the other hand fell flat, hopefully I can improve on some of the stuff next year with a more manageable length and cleaner formatting.

I'm not sure what Scottie Scheffler did during Monday's eclipse, but a couple things, IMO, are true.  With his second jacket in 3 years, he eclipsed his first performance.  More important, by the end of the month, his story eclipsed at least most of those that were treated to a very nice time.  Fortunately, he didn't have to bolt mid tournament & back to Texas to be there for the birth of his first child.  Which, by the way is bigger than both of his wins at Augusta.

All jokes aside, one thing is isn't a joke is Scottie is definitely the best player in the world.

I would almost go as far to say he is our generations Tiger Woods. (in the 'almost' portion is mostly to say he's not currently as famous as him outside golfing circles)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2024, 04:19:36 PM by Game Girl »

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2024, 11:49:27 PM »
I would almost go as far to say he is our generations Tiger Woods. (in the 'almost' portion is mostly to say he's not currently as famous as him outside golfing circles)

Based on Scottie's personality, he's probably OK with the fact that he'll never be anywhere near the level of Tiger in terms of fame.  Family first, no ego, and life it good for the World Number 1.  Being great at golf and an awesome husband & father tops being a face if not the face of the PGA

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2024, 11:41:32 PM »
As for saying he's this generation's Tiger Woods, I'll pump the brakes with that.  The ceiling is that he is this era's Scottie Scheffler.  I think that's fair enough.

The media had similar comparisons with Rory and Spieth.  As of 2024, you could double their combined totals in majors, and it's still less than what Tiger Woods has today.  The same was said about Brooks, but at least he's won nearly a half dozen big events, all within the past half decade.

What I think is okay for a talking point is saying someone is the face of golf.  Scottie being that is fine.  He still has a long, long way to go.  Plus, the number one player in the world is 27; Woods wasn't even 25 and a half before winning over twice as many titles, including all four majors at least once