Author Topic: Drew vows to stay as host until he dies  (Read 2059 times)

Offline mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.

Offline illustriousrocket

• Outside in Line
Re: Drew vows to stay as host until he dies
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2024, 11:04:52 PM »
The enthusiasm he has now is what turned my impression on his performance dramatically around. I've never been quite able to pinpoint when exactly he shook off the blasé approach of the early years or why, but I'm enjoying the show again and the fun he's clearly having is a big part of it.

Offline C8

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2024, 11:24:09 PM »
I’m a broken record but S52 may go down as one of the most magical seasons since my childhood (early 90s).

Drew has just found some spark and all the cylinders have clicked. He is having the time of his life. He and George and the models have a chemistry the show hasn’t had in 40 years. Drew is feeding off the constants and them off him. The show is in a new golden era.

This is great news IMO.

Online TPIRFan1995

• In the Audience
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2024, 11:53:41 PM »
From the perspective of a Drew fan beginning when I was 5 on November 16th 2000 when I first saw Whose Line (the Robin Williams episode), I'm happy about this. As much as I love Bob and having great memories growing up with him from Seasons 29/30 to 35 in daytime and especially the Million Dollar Spectaculars, he made the show a little bit Bob-centric. Drew has that everyman persona that makes it feel welcoming. I enjoy his interactions with the contestants, the models and Rich and George. I'm looking forward to hopefully being called to Come On Down one day in my wheelchair and meeting Drew and the models in person (faves are Amber, Alexis, Rachel and Manuela) along with playing Plinko and spinning the Big Wheel and continuing the tradition of watching the show with my mom in both daytime and primetime and competing to see whose closest in winning a showcase.

Offline ooboh

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2024, 02:33:36 AM »
Sounds like he wants to pull an Alex Trebek. I have no problem with that, I think he’s deserved it after 17 seasons. He has done a great job turning the show into his own.

Offline JT

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2024, 07:44:55 AM »
Given the move to a new studio, a larger audience again and Bob no longer with us, he may subconsciously feel this is "his" show now and his duty and obligation to carry it forward.  Which he is doing. 

Offline Reloaden

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2024, 11:57:38 AM »
The first few seasons of Drew were pretty rough and once Roger and Co left. Drew found his groove. He looks like he's having fun hosting the show. I hope he stays in good health to host the show as long as possible.

Drew having 17 seasons under his bent and people in the beginning constantly nitpicking his hosting is a huge accomplishment.

Online TPIRFan1995

• In the Audience
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2024, 12:35:02 PM »
To think I was only 12 when Drew started!! More than half of my life has been with him as Price host!!

Offline DebonairDylan

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2024, 03:16:18 PM »
To think I was only 12 when Drew started!! More than half of my life has been with him as Price host!!
You're still ahead of me. I hadn't quite turned 10 when Bob's last show aired, though I was 10 and a quarter when Drew's first show aired. Now, I'm a couple months from 27, so yeah, it is scary to think some of us were still kids when Bob retired and now we're pushing 30.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2024, 04:42:02 PM »
No matter how old one is or was when the new era started, the fact that Drew is pretty much closing in on hosting for half as long as Bob hosted is pretty tremendous.  Especially when I remember back when Bob and company were surprised with the success and longevity of TPIR, well before the end of the 1980s.  And that was during an era where there were a lot of gameshows still on (network) television!
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline tpirfansince1972

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2024, 05:11:19 PM »
You're still ahead of me. I hadn't quite turned 10 when Bob's last show aired, though I was 10 and a quarter when Drew's first show aired. Now, I'm a couple months from 27, so yeah, it is scary to think some of us were still kids when Bob retired and now we're pushing 30.

As one who saw the very first episode back on Labor Day 1972, on a black and white TV set nevertheless, I would be giving almost anything to be "pushing 30" :)

Indeed time is a remarkable thing.  And I too am pleased that Drew seems very committed to remaining with the show as long as he possibly can.

Once upon a time 65 was considered "retirement age".  Later this month (May 2024) Drew will be turning 66.

Even after 17 years the shows seem fresher somehow.  Not to imply that things were stale toward Mr. Barker's final years, as the show was still fresh to some degree, but the show now is far fresher, especially in their new home.

If Drew somehow manages to tie Pat Sajak with syndicated Wheel, Drew would have to make it to age 90 and still be hosting Price.  That may be a bit unreasonable to hope for but he certainly could make it well into his late 70s or early 80s.

Offline LarryC

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2024, 12:54:35 PM »
I’m a broken record but S52 may go down as one of the most magical seasons since my childhood (early 90s).

Drew has just found some spark and all the cylinders have clicked. He is having the time of his life. He and George and the models have a chemistry the show hasn’t had in 40 years. Drew is feeding off the constants and them off him. The show is in a new golden era.
Agree!  I actually look forward to watching the show now.  Gone (mostly) are the intolerable, noisy, unlikeable idiot contestants we'd see not that many seasons ago.

A couple of things continue to weight it down, though:

* The ever-decreasing total running time of the show.  This means a lot of quickie games (think Squeeze Play, Pick A Number, et al.) get played far too often.  Not much Drew or anyone else can do about this.

* The more-boring-than-ever showcases.  Somebody COULD (and should) do something about this.

Online gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2024, 05:15:12 PM »
* The ever-decreasing total running time of the show.  This means a lot of quickie games (think Squeeze Play, Pick A Number, et al.) get played far too often.  Not much Drew or anyone else can do about this.

* The more-boring-than-ever showcases.  Somebody COULD (and should) do something about this.

These are related.

I miss the showcase skits, or even basic transitions that made sense. "For this showcase, we're going the WHOLE NINE YARDS! It's a home gym and a Toyota Corrola..." No golf equipment? No NFL tickets? No trip to Glasgow or Scotland Yard? What does a car and gym have to do with that theme?

But everything has a tradeoff, and it seems like the showrunners cut down the showcase down to give Drew more time to interact with contestants in games. If lame showcases are the sacrifice that has to be made to get more airtime there, it was the right call.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline tpirfansince1972

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2024, 05:49:39 PM »
I'd rather they have 2 "dull" showcases still up for grabs rather than just having one for the two finalists to bid upon.

I mean the show's been around for over half a century and a great many skit ideas for showcases have come and gone.  Hard to come up with too many new ideas perhaps, but given the lack of run time it no longer can happen anyway.

Offline WilliamPorygon

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2024, 12:44:12 AM »
Gone (mostly) are the intolerable, noisy, unlikeable idiot contestants

You had to jinx it, didn't you  :shoottv: