Poll

Of the many well-known folks that got a chance (at gameshow hosting), who has done the best job?

Elizabeth Banks
3 (10.7%)
Wayne Brady
3 (10.7%)
Drew Carey
11 (39.3%)
Steve Harvey
1 (3.6%)
Ken Jennings
8 (28.6%)
Keke Palmer
0 (0%)
Michael Strahan
1 (3.6%)
Someone Else
0 (0%)
No One Else
1 (3.6%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Voting closed: May 30, 2024, 11:57:40 PM

Author Topic: Hosting A Gameshow Revival / Following A Legend  (Read 982 times)

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
Hosting A Gameshow Revival / Following A Legend
« on: May 21, 2024, 11:57:40 PM »
It may have been better to wait until after enough season 42 WOF episodes have come and gone to ask here, but I might forget.  Maybe it'll be better during a TV season full of milestones.

Steve Harvey is in his 15th year, and TPIR is celebrating 10,000 episodes, where Drew will be hosting.

I once had my doubts since it's not easy to follow a legend and/or host a revival.  To be honest, it's difficult to host period.  However, I think everyone has done a fantastic job.  In fact, it's gotten to the point where everyone has hosted to the point where they've made the gameshow they're hosting their own.

So, no failure, at least for me.  However, I tend to flip between Drew & Ken when it comes to the "best" job overall based on expectations.

As mentioned, it wasn't easy a long time ago picturing someone other than a host that I grew up watching & was once used to that guy.  Things & times have changed
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline Chief-O

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Hosting A Gameshow Revival / Following A Legend
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2024, 12:09:11 AM »
I can only pick one???

Ken would be my top choice. He hit the ground running at J!-----even his guest-host run was great. I do still find it weird that he is "the mega-champ who ultimately became the host"......but his hosting talent speaks for itself.

Of course, there's Drew.......he's definitely settled in to the role (and has been for a while), and he's made TPIR his own. He hasn't tried to "be like Bob", and he shouldn't.

Strahan is "Pyramid"'s best host since Dick Clark (though Donny was definitely not the problem with his respective version by any means). I will admit that the most recent seasons of the show haven't impressed me as much as the earlier ones (I guess I could put the NY > LA move as the "jump the shark" moment), but it's not his fault.

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2024, 02:51:12 AM »
It may have been better to wait until after enough season 42 WOF episodes have come and gone to ask here, but I might forget.

Ryan’s first tapings happened today. A few of us were lucky enough to make it out there. Even out of the gate, he was excellent.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline illustriousrocket

• In the Audience
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2024, 09:26:35 PM »
I have to give it to Ken, because of how fast he settled in. As much as I enjoy Drew now, it took him quite some time to really get comfortable and begin figuring his approach out. Ken was rough in his earliest episodes, but I can't fault him for that given that he was clearly in shock from Alex's death and having to immediately step in. He relaxed and vastly improved almost immediately, though, and that gives him the edge.

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2024, 10:18:28 PM »
I have to give it to Ken, because of how fast he settled in. As much as I enjoy Drew now, it took him quite some time to really get comfortable and begin figuring his approach out. Ken was rough in his earliest episodes, but I can't fault him for that given that he was clearly in shock from Alex's death and having to immediately step in. He relaxed and vastly improved almost immediately, though, and that gives him the edge.

Didn’t Alex Trebek once have to, more or less, follow a legend when initially asked to host “Jeopardy!”?

Or Ray Combs following Richard Dawson in the 1988 “Family Feud” revival? Or (even when he was a legend himself) Tom Kennedy replacing Allen Ludden on “Password Plus”?

And the list could go on.

Brian

Offline Flerbert419

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2024, 05:20:37 PM »
I think that there are people on this list who are good at hosting their show and got that way through increased practice. I was looking for somebody who I could drop in virtually any format and feel they could be successful, which is why I picked Wayne. His improv chops and television experience make him my top option.

Ken wasn't even fully the host of the show until this year and I feel he would struggle in a looser structure.
"The most famous game on The Price is Right is Plinko..." "Which I don't get, honestly."
~ Drew Carey to Chris Wallace, aired January 26, 2024

Offline illustriousrocket

• In the Audience
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2024, 09:33:59 PM »
Didn’t Alex Trebek once have to, more or less, follow a legend when initially asked to host “Jeopardy!”?

Or Ray Combs following Richard Dawson in the 1988 “Family Feud” revival? Or (even when he was a legend himself) Tom Kennedy replacing Allen Ludden on “Password Plus”?

And the list could go on.

Brian

This is certainly true. You could definitely pose this question in the context of multiple decades. I mean, even Bob himself followed a legend, and that was in 1972.

I think that there are people on this list who are good at hosting their show and got that way through increased practice. I was looking for somebody who I could drop in virtually any format and feel they could be successful, which is why I picked Wayne. His improv chops and television experience make him my top option.

Ken wasn't even fully the host of the show until this year and I feel he would struggle in a looser structure.

This is a fair point, although I wouldn't factor in the host turmoil myself. Wayne is definitely more adaptible.

Offline PriceFan07

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2024, 11:09:39 AM »
I picked Elizabeth Banks for 2 reasons - 1) because I didn't notice Drew on the list :biggrin:, 2) jokes aside, the REAL reason is because I enjoyed her as host of Press Your Luck from the very first episode. She's funny,  charming, energetic and makes it about the players.

Many reboots of shows I've loved have turned me off because of the host selection. Pyramid lost me when they selected Michael Strahan, Password lost me more because of Jimmy Fallon, but I also found Keke robotic. Ken Jennings is easily the most over-rated host that people seem to like. I find him robotic and he has no charm. I wonder if people would feel the same about Ken's hosting ability if he hadn't been a super champ on Jeopardy. I love Wayne on LMaD, it's the format change that lost me there. They need to go back to 2 people in the Big Deal and back to a standard audience setup without the pods and distancing platforms.
Get Ready to Price the Prize!
George Gray! Rachel Reynolds! Amber Lancaster! Manuela Arbelaez! Alexis Gaube! And James O'Halloran!
As we play the fabulous, sixty-minute Price is Right!
And here's the star of The Price is Right - Drew Carey!

Offline GRWHAMMY the 2nd

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2024, 11:22:27 AM »
...Or (even when he was a legend himself) Tom Kennedy replacing Allen Ludden on “Password Plus”?

Brian

you can say that about Tom for multiple shows, when you factor in things like hosting syndicated Price (though that would be a technicality since Bob was still doing the CBS Daytime show at the time)

Offline Reloaden

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2024, 03:57:49 PM »
I have to say Drew Carey was rough during his first few seasons, but when Roger and Co. left, Drew got more comfortable and was able to make the show his own. I know this is an unpopular opinion, but I thought the last few years of Bob were getting stale and the show really needed a change.

The thing that bugs me about game shows today is that they don't do auditions or pilots any more and pick the best host, they just pick the biggest name and go from there. 

Online Trevor Tuominen

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2024, 05:06:51 PM »
I know this is an unpopular opinion, but I thought the last few years of Bob were getting stale and the show really needed a change.
I agree with this. It was becoming far too outdated compared to other game shows like Wheel and Millionaire. Bob had an increasing amount of senior moments as he got up there in age.
I wonder if people would feel the same about Ken's hosting ability if he hadn't been a super champ on Jeopardy.
Personally, I 100% think they would. He seems to genuinely love the game and care about respecting Alex Trebek's legacy, unlike a certain other guy who shares his name with the actor who played Kramer on Seinfeld.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2024, 05:11:55 PM by Trevor Tuominen »
"Take your job seriously, but don't take yourself too seriously." - Alex Trebek, 1940-2020

Icon by Siahri!