Author Topic: As of Yesterday, CBS and Drew Carey are getting close to finalizing a deal...  (Read 13433 times)

Offline TVC

• Taking a Bonus Spin
I think the M.C. of The Price Is Right ought to be affable, statesmanlike, and skilled at making the contestants feel like stars during their few minutes of fame. I don't see these qualities in Drew Carey. His primary background is that of a standup comic (who does dirty material) and an actor. I'd be concerned that he'd be making wisecracks and focussing attention on himself rather than on the game play and contestants.

Also, it's been my experience that actors have a difficult time turning off their performance instincts and being themselves. For Price Is Right, we don't want an actor who is playing the part of a game show host; we want someone who is genuine and sincere.

Of course, it's possible that Carey could rise to the occasion if given the chance -- but he doesn't strike me as a candidate for the short list.

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner

TVC wrote:
For Price Is Right, we don't want an actor who is playing the part of a game show host; we want someone who is genuine and sincere.

That's especially a concern when Carey's forte up to this point has been in acting just a bit above whatever he happens to be doing at the time.  He doesn't come across as someone who puts a personal investment in what he does.

That said, a promising quote from that story is him saying that he understands you can't screw around with TPiR.  That's something that O'Donnell (a self-professed fan of the show) obviously did not get.

Also, on those very rare occasions he actually does care about something, he's known for putting in the preparation necessary to make it work.  (When he decided to become a stand-up comedian, he actually started by going to the library and reading up on comedy styles and patterns to figure out how to write a competent routine.)  I have no doubt that he could get the gameplay down pat.  But personality-wise, he's a real wildcard.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
I don't think I can see Drew Carey fitting into being the host of Price.  I just don't think he has the right style for the show.  Also, from the promos of Power of 10 I've seen, I don't think his hosting looks that good.  He always seems like he's really bored in the promos.

Offline Franc

• Double Showcase Winner
    • Let Me Be Franc!
I agree with the last few comments. Drew Carey doesn't have the class Bob had, or that Newton has (I haven't seen the others). If at least he could drop the glasses. He doesn't even need them anymore, it's just a character he's putting on (he had lasic eye surgery some years back). Dropping the glasses would give him much more credibility in my eyes.

Still, I guess we'll have to give him a chance.

Besides, I still haven't heard from John or Marc on this issue, so I'll wait ...

EDIT : And now that I think of it, wasn't it just two days ago that John said something about Walberg being the front-runner? How is it that in just 2 days, CBS/Freemantle made a 180 and decided to go with Carey? It just doesn't add up ...

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
Randy West has confirmed on Invision that these rumors are true.

Franc wrote:

EDIT : And now that I think of it, wasn't it just two days ago that John said something about Walberg being the front-runner? How is it that in just 2 days, CBS/Freemantle made a 180 and decided to go with Carey? It just doesn't add up ...

I believe John was being deliberately vague with that comment.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline mkeeney

• In the Audience

TVC wrote:
I think the M.C. of The Price Is Right ought to be affable, statesmanlike, and skilled at making the contestants feel like stars during their few minutes of fame. I don't see these qualities in Drew Carey. His primary background is that of a standup comic (who does dirty material) and an actor. I'd be concerned that he'd be making wisecracks and focussing attention on himself rather than on the game play and contestants.

Also, it's been my experience that actors have a difficult time turning off their performance instincts and being themselves. For Price Is Right, we don't want an actor who is playing the part of a game show host; we want someone who is genuine and sincere.

Of course, it's possible that Carey could rise to the occasion if given the chance -- but he doesn't strike me as a candidate for the short list.

I agree with you 100%.  I'm concerned that Carey isn't the right 'fit' for the show.  If it turns out that he is the new host, it will be interesting to see what happens come day one of his hosting duties.

Offline jimlange

• 2/20/2008
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • I am a TPIR Greek GOD!!
I think most of us really don't have an opinion on Drew, because we really haven't seen him in this type of element.  I think ALL of us need to make an appt with our TVs and/or set our Tivos or DVRs and watch "The Power of 10."  Whatever he did in "The Power of 10" interested CBS and here we are.  As much as we like it or not, unless something goes horribly wrong in this deal, it pretty much sounds like Drew Carey will be the new host of "The Price Is Right."  

Drew sounds like he really is going to do his best on the show.  He is quoted in variety as saying this, "That show needs to be treated with a lot of respect, as far as its place in American culture," he said. "As long as you do that and keep it going, I think it would be great."  Rosie O'Donnell, who says she a huge fan of the show, couldn't even get that.

I for one am hoping that this goes through so that we can get back to doing what we have been doing for the last 35 years.  Going out to California, waiting in line, watching, and enjoying (in person and at home), great episodes of "The Price Is Right."

jimlange

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner

Franc wrote:
If at least he could drop the glasses. He doesn't even need them anymore, it's just a character he's putting on (he had lasic eye surgery some years back). Dropping the glasses would give him much more credibility in my eyes.

You're really bothered by that?  Was Bob Barker suffering from a lack of "credibility" before he stopped coloring his hair?

For what it's worth, according to his Wikipedia entry, Carey actually does need glasses again.

Offline Franc

• Double Showcase Winner
    • Let Me Be Franc!

SteveGavazzi wrote:
I believe John was being deliberately vague with that comment.

My bad! I took what he said as saying yes, but he actually just didn't say no!

Offline ChinookUT

• In Contestant's Row
Again, I don't care how many "sources" say that Carey is finalizing a deal; until I see some official confirmation from a source that actually knows something about the host search, I'm much more inclined to think that this is rubbish that one media source printed and a couple others tacked onto.

If it does turn out to be true, Carey wouldn't be all that bad a host.  It would mean that CBS has given up on finding a "grand slam" host to replace Barker, instead trying to find one that will cause a minimal number of people to stop watching the show (as we are almost all indifferent to him).
ChinookUT: Avid Price watcher since ~1985

Offline Franc

• Double Showcase Winner
    • Let Me Be Franc!

Axl wrote:

Franc wrote:
If at least he could drop the glasses. He doesn't even need them anymore, it's just a character he's putting on (he had lasic eye surgery some years back). Dropping the glasses would give him much more credibility in my eyes.

You're really bothered by that?  Was Bob Barker suffering from a lack of "credibility" before he stopped coloring his hair?

For what it's worth, according to his Wikipedia entry, Carey actually does need glasses again.

What bothers me is that the glasses are part of Carey's character in his sitcom, and I don't see that as such a fit for the job.

And as far as him needing glasses again, well I didn't know that!

Offline FastCompany

• In Contestant's Row
Franc wrote:

What bothers me is that the glasses are part of Carey's character in his sitcom, and I don't see that as such a fit for the job.

Carey has worn glasses since his days as a stand-up comedian.  If you've ever seen him take them off, you'll know why he wears them.  Not an attractive guy.

Carey isn't my top choice, but given the choices we currently have, he gets my vote hands down.

Offline jimlange

• 2/20/2008
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • I am a TPIR Greek GOD!!
Using Drew Carey's glasses as part of an evaluation of his performance is UNNECCESSARY!!!! His glasses (needed or not) are a part of him.  It's just like Groucho Marx's moustache.  It doesn't change his performance and what he can or cannot do.  It just apart of who he his.  It's pretty much his signature.

jimlange

Offline FieldsFan336

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Pika!
    • Behind the Microphone: The Rich Fields Fan Site

ChinookUT wrote:
Again, I don't care how many "sources" say that Carey is finalizing a deal; until I see some official confirmation from a source that actually knows something about the host search, I'm much more inclined to think that this is rubbish that one media source printed and a couple others tacked onto.

I wholeheartedly agree.  When it all comes down to it, the media is really milking this story for all it's worth.  All the speculation, all the rumors, the hyped candidates, who's in, who's out.  Until we hear something from CBS and/or our benevolent webmasters about the final decision, I'm not giving in to the media

If it does turn out to be true, Carey wouldn't be all that bad a host.  It would mean that CBS has given up on finding a "grand slam" host to replace Barker, instead trying to find one that will cause a minimal number of people to stop watching the show (as we are almost all indifferent to him).

I'm not so sure about Drew becoming the next host.  I've seen him on "Whose Line" and thought he did okay.  It's obvious that the higher-ups want a big-name star with very little game show experience to take over the hosting job over someone who has paid their dues
Rich Fields' #1 Fan for Life / 2011 CSS playoffs bronze medalist / Blitz Club (sole survivor of the Survivor special) / First QSW 5/9/23

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
ChinookUT wrote:

So Randy West, who actually works for FremantleMedia, isn't an official enough source for you?
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.