Author Topic: "Other" changes for season 36  (Read 19745 times)

Offline PIR85

• Double Showcase Winner
"Other" changes for season 36
« on: July 24, 2007, 02:55:56 PM »
Let me preface by saying I'm not going to discuss major set changes, nor game-name changes like Barker's Bargain Bar.

My question is, will the show change the following items to reflect a new host, or will they leave them be?

- The Punchabunch $10,000 bill
- "Barker's Dollars" (I realize this won't be a prop change, just a name change)
- Signature on the check in Check Game
- ANY OTHERS??? (List them in your reply)

Most of all, I hope they won't change (and am pretty confident they WON'T change) the opening.  They should leave in "...from the Bob Barker studio at CBS in Hollywood..."

My guess is that while Bob's name will be left in the intro, that will be the last mention of him so as to "turn the page" in the history of Price.  I would wager that we will even see the long, skinny microphone replaced with a handheld wireless or clip-on.

Offline KENYATTA

• In the Audience
Re: "Other" changes for season 36
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 03:11:00 PM »
well what will be the new names for Barker's Beauties?

Offline Drew72

• 5/2/2003
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • TPIR Alumnus
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 03:12:52 PM »
How about Carey's Cuties?

:-)

Guess there won't be any more "Barker's Markers".  It might be "Make Your Mark" like it was in the '94 Nighttime show.
Contestant - May 2, 2003 and played One Right Price - Won trips to Montreal and Mazatlan!

Offline djsquare

• Taking a Bonus Spin
    • tpirmodels.com
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 03:26:34 PM »
I was thinking about The Drewettes  :-D

I'm wondering, since it was Bob's decision, will it be the same models? Will they be permanent? Will they bring back bikinis?

Can't wait for the new season to start to see all the changes they will make (cuz folks, they will most certainly make alot of minor set changes and other stuff) Hopefully, a new director also!!!

Offline ewalker3

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2007, 03:30:31 PM »
as for the long skinny microphone aka
the custom kit neumann mic that cbs made for barker.(www.neumann.com)

dont be too surprised if it reappears with a a wireless transmitter attachted to it instead of the usual cord otherwise keeping the familiar. When I was out last May.. I saw one laying around the set with that attachment that was to be used later in the day for one of the auditions.

ed

Offline Mark

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2007, 03:48:22 PM »

PIR85 wrote:
My question is, will the show change the following items to reflect a new host, or will they leave them be?

- The Punchabunch $10,000 bill
- "Barker's Dollars" (I realize this won't be a prop change, just a name change)
- Signature on the check in Check Game
- ANY OTHERS??? (List them in your reply)

Those will all change. You might see a generic $10,000 bill, or one with Drew Carey's picture on it.

Barker Dollars have Bob's profile on them. Those aren't real Barker Dollars in the moneybags, but there is a real one that Bob picked up lying loose in the game set.

Definatly yes on the Check Signature.

Now, what might be real  changes will occur in car games. You might start to see cars with leather interiors, plus foriegn cars (both banned when Bob was EP, due to his animal rights causes) offered on the show. A tossup will be the show's open "From The Bob Barker Studio". Yes, TPiR is taped there, but will that line be eradicated in the post-Barker era? Also, will Drew be called "The new Star of TPiR". I just guess, we'll have to wait, and see.

• In the Audience
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2007, 03:50:04 PM »
i dont think you will see furs and stuff like that, from the sounds of it, Carey respect's Bob's wishes, and i think they'll stay the same.

Offline dm

• Walking the Golden Road
    • My website
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2007, 03:55:11 PM »
Whoever suggested a clipon mike has forgotten that the contestants can't be miked on the fly, and that you'll never hear them, so you have to have a hand-held, wireless or not. Ultimately it's up to Bart, Dirk (audio guy) and Drew to find what works best for Drew on stage.

Remember: Drew Carey has said he wants to respect the show's heritage, so don't be looking for bikinied models and German sports cars any time soon.

Offline PaladinTornado

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2007, 04:03:00 PM »
Carey's Cuties is my favorite option as far as the models go.  As for the other stuff, I see no reason to keep Bob's image around (no disrespect intended).  However, the "Bob Barker Studio" intro should remain, as that is the name of the studio.

Offline wildirisheyes1977

• Outside in Line
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2007, 04:18:38 PM »
I don't think anything should be named for him just yet. Bob had well proven himself secure in his position and abilities as host of TPiR well before games and props were named after him and his likeness used.

Offline KENYATTA

• In the Audience
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2007, 04:48:57 PM »
That's what I was thinking before!! Carey's Cuties seem to have a right fit!!

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2007, 05:24:13 PM »

ewalker3 wrote:
as for the long skinny microphone aka
the custom kit neumann mic that cbs made for barker.(www.neumann.com)
dont be too surprised if it reappears with a a wireless transmitter attachted to it instead of the usual cord otherwise keeping the familiar.

I wonder if they might give him one of those large self-contained wireless mics like Ray Combs had on Family Feud.  They seem to be the most common used by stand-up comedians (and I think it's what Drew used on Whose Line), so there's a level of familiarity there.  In fact, that's why they gave Combs that mic in the first place when he really didn't need a handheld one.

Given Drew's... uh, size, the old Barker Mic would look like a toothpick in Carey's hand.

• In the Audience
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2007, 07:46:07 PM »

dm wrote:
Whoever suggested a clipon mike has forgotten that the contestants can't be miked on the fly, and that you'll never hear them, so you have to have a hand-held, wireless or not. Ultimately it's up to Bart, Dirk (audio guy) and Drew to find what works best for Drew on stage.

Remember: Drew Carey has said he wants to respect the show's heritage, so don't be looking for bikinied models and German sports cars any time soon.

that last paragraph is what i was thinking all along, i dont think there will be many "major" changes. BTW, where'd you get that pic of Drew in your avatar?

Offline JokerFan

• Retro Recap Guide
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2007, 07:57:24 PM »
The Punch-a-bunch $10,000 bill will change.  I don't care whether there is no face or if it's Drew Carey's face.
I think that the "Barker's Dollars" will be changed to just "dollars" or that line might be taken out (unless it make the game confusing for the contestant--I don't know how but it might)
The signature on the check will of course change.
However, most things probably won't change.  I hope they don't; it's still alright to have references to Bob.

Offline ClockGameJohn

• TPiR Alumnus &
  • Executive Producer
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2007, 08:43:17 PM »
Studio 33 is officially named "The Bob Barker Studio."  I see no reason to change that.

Second, in this day and age, it might be just simple enough to call the models "Beauties."

"Here come the beauties with the next item up for bids."

These are my opinions...I know we'll have an official word for you soon.
John