Author Topic: "Other" changes for season 36  (Read 19828 times)

Offline gamefro

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Re: "Other" changes for season 36
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2007, 08:47:49 PM »
Balance Game's "Barker Dollars" could easily become "Carey Dollars", or the more alliterative "Carey Coins".  They wouldn't need to make any other set changes with that since the Barker Dollars aren't shown on camera anyway.

Most host-specific references will most likely be updated.  The Punch-A-Bunch bill will change (as I believe they had a separate bill for Tom Kennedy's version).  Barker's Markers will probably be changed to Make Your Mark, and Barker's Bargain Bar will likely be shortened to Bargain Bar.  I am certain, however, that they will continue to honor Barker and not remove the "Bob Barker Studio" reference from the opening speil.  Other references, like the "Barker Wall", will probably be retained behind the scenes for a while.

The microphone, on the other hand, will most likely become wireless and may even be of the thicker style (like Ray Combs' on Feud or Bob Eubanks' on Card Sharks) that is a common to stand-up comedians.
Gamefro: "Retired" host of TPiR at the University of Nevada, Reno (spring 2003 - spring 2008).

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2007, 08:52:02 PM »
I'm sort of hoping they just keep Barker's Bargain Bar and Barker's Marker$ the way they are.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline dunph

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2007, 09:22:41 PM »
I am just waiting to hear Rich Fields introduce Drew for the first time as host.

"And now, here's the host of "The Price Is Right", DrewwwwwwwwwwwwwCarey!!!

Offline dm

• Walking the Golden Road
    • My website
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2007, 10:05:12 PM »

BTW, where'd you get that pic of Drew in your avatar?

I made the avatar from a picture of Drew I found on the web and then pasted a background of the big doors found on this site behind him.

Offline Jordanar18

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Currently, I live in the past.
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2007, 10:09:02 PM »
Maybe Barker's Bargain Bar will become...

Drew's Discount Den? :hammer:

I'm hoping that the show will remain as much "Bob" as possible.  Barker Dollars should be kept, no animal products should be featured, etc.

Offline PIR85

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2007, 10:09:41 PM »
Before Bob became a "legend" he was introduced as the "star" of the PIR on 9/4/72; other gameshow hosts in the past have been referred to as "star" (namely Peter Tomarken).

I see no reason to strip the "star" title of Bob's successor.  It just sounds odd "...the host of the Price is Right, Drew Carey!"  To change it from star to host sounds like Bob's replacement is subpar.  A prestigious show like TPiR has to have a "star!"

Offline MDupont

• In the Audience
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2007, 10:44:34 PM »
There also might be 1 or 2 new Pricing games with Drew's name it for all we know.
Dorothy to Rose: So what? You put an ad in the personals column that said I will do anything for eight dollars an hour?! Right under an ad that reads, "History professor seeking non-smoking Oriental woman who is into Wesson Oil and bears a resemblance to Florence Henderson."

-From the Golden Girls

Offline compdude512

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2007, 11:19:21 PM »

gamefro wrote:
The microphone, on the other hand, will most likely become wireless and may even be of the thicker style (like Ray Combs' on Feud or Bob Eubanks' on Card Sharks) that is a common to stand-up comedians.

I doubt it will be one of those.  They were made by Vega, and they went out of business a few years ago.

I'd like to see one of these mics in Drew's hand, but I doubt that will happen.  And for those of you who were wondering what was used on Whose Line, they were Shure mics.  Could we possibly see the UR2/KSM9 on Price?  Only time will tell.

EDIT: I just remembered that since Price has Neumann mics throughout, it'll probably be one of those Sennheiser wireless mics with the Neumann cartridge seen here:

http://www.neumann.com/?lang=en&id=current_microphones&cid=kk105s_description
"We, in fact, like it when people criticize what we've done on the show because it means you're thinking about the show." -Jamie Hyneman, Mythbusters.

Offline Mark

• In the Audience
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2007, 11:23:05 PM »
I thought of this this morning too! I'm not the only one! :P

Offline Mark

• In the Audience
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2007, 11:27:34 PM »
I think they will still use the same intro and the "From the Bob Barker Studio".

If I were to change anything, the "come on down" first 4 contestant music should be changed to the way they did it for the Million Dollar Spectacular. The opening should be jazzy, but the original theme should follow. Then for contestants 5-9, use the traditional intro music for the come on downs as they used in the Spectacular.

The lighting should NOT change. There should always be 3 doors and just different colors. No bright lights. No dark colors. Everything white as usual, and colorful.

The game play should stay EXACTLY THE SAME. EXACTLY. You know how on the nighttime one only 1 contestant I think goes to the showcase and there is a prize range. I hope they don't do that. Everything must stay the same there.

Rich should be in showcases! We need Rich to be shown more!

Offline bhall96992

• In the Audience
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2007, 11:39:17 PM »
quote:
I'm sort of hoping they just keep Barker's Bargain Bar and Barker's Marker$ the way they are.

I agree. I see nothing wrong with these. Keep them as a tribute to Bob.

Offline tpirfan165

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2007, 11:57:47 PM »
plinkofan, i'm with ya on that whole "Rich being shown on camera more" thing......

but why change the "Come On Down" theme to the one they used for the MDS??

i'd say they should just stick with the current "Come On Down" daytime cue

and besides, some people might think it was a MDS instead of the regular daytime format

and also, that Jib camera should only be used for the MDS (my opinion, of course)
< loves it when Drew Carey attempts to make an inspiration putt, and when it misses the hole, he just does a little second putt with the ball to sink it

( as was in his 500th show) ROFL!!!

Offline Mark

• In the Audience
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2007, 12:05:36 AM »
Because eventually they will change it to be jazzy. I like the setup of the specials. They kept the original theme, but jazzed up the first 4 called down. I think this would be perfect for the new season and the new host if they ever changed the music.

This setup would be fine if they ever change anything to the opening.

I even announced to this with "Here it comes" and it's just about the same length "Fabulous Price Is Right" after Rich says "Happiest hour in Television"

Offline Franc

• Double Showcase Winner
    • Let Me Be Franc!
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2007, 12:52:28 AM »

Jordanar18 wrote:
Mabye Barker's Bargain Bar will become...

Drew's Discount Den? :hammer:

That's actually the most clever idea I've heard yet! Not sure it'd work, but at least it's clever! ;)

Seriously, though. In my opinion :

- The Bob Barker Studio mention should remain in the opening spiel.
- "And now, here's your host : Dreeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwww Carey!"
- BBB and BM should be changed. The Bargain Bar and Make Your Mark seem the best choice.
- The Barker Dollars, I believe should remain Barker Dollars. Just for legacy's sake.
- Picture of Drew on P-A-B bill, and his John-Hancock on the checks.

As for set changes, I have a bit of info, I do not know how reliable this might be. It comes from an article I saw yesterday on a French-Canadian news website called AgenceNews. There is one of the paragraphs that said :

Les producteurs ont déjà mentionné qu'ils allaient profiter du changement d'animateur pour moderniser un tantinet le décor de l'émission et y ajouter une touche nouvelle.

Loosely translated, it basically says :

The producers already mentionned that, with a new host taking over, they will take that opportunity to make a few changes to the set, and add a little modern touch.

The whole article (in French) is here.

Not sure what you guys think about it ...

Offline FieldsFan336

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Pika!
    • Behind the Microphone: The Rich Fields Fan Site
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2007, 01:35:30 AM »

Plinkofan wrote:

Rich should be in showcases! We need Rich to be shown more!

TESTIFY!  That would make me a happy girl! :-D
Rich Fields' #1 Fan for Life / 2011 CSS playoffs bronze medalist / Blitz Club (sole survivor of the Survivor special) / First QSW 5/9/23