Author Topic: Entertainment column: Drew drops "f-bomb" at Po10 Taping  (Read 6582 times)

Offline CBSpromoman

• Double Showcase Winner
    • Patrick’s Place
Entertainment column: Drew drops "f-bomb" at Po10 Taping
« on: August 05, 2007, 10:24:01 PM »
Here's an interesting piece from an entertainment column:

The first word Carey said to the audience during the taping for the first episode of his new prime-time CBS game show "The Power of 10," the pilot of which led CBS to pick him to replace Barker, was the f-word.

Yes, that f-word.

He was not on-camera, according to the article, but he apologized after realizing a child was in the audience.  But it apparently got a little worse.

It also mentions that he expressed shock over what a diehard fan says was part of her TPIR daily ritual.

Interesting read.
Visit my blog: Patrick's Place

Offline pricefan3376

• In Contestant's Row
Re: Entertainment column: Drew drops "f-bomb" at Po10 Taping
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2007, 10:37:45 PM »
It was an interesting read.  After reading the comment Drew made about "I already have a million dollars", I got concerned.  This sort of bragging/attempt at humor will not win over audiences of TPIR; I for one see it as cocky.

Not only that, but his reaction over thefan who tapes TPIR daily really astounded me.  This shows that he has no idea how big a responsibility he has over taking over for Bob Barker.  

I know in an earlier post that I said that we should give Drew a chance to grow into his job...maybe I'm forming an opinion too early, but I've got a bad feeling in my gut right now.  I'm starting to get nervous.

Offline GoldenBulldog

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Creative Writer, Loyal Friend and True
    • My Faceook Page
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2007, 10:38:25 PM »
[Astro]

Ruh-roh...

[/Astro]

Well, I just hope that Drew isn't like that on "The Price is Right"; otherwise, our biggest fears will be realized.  Let's hope that one little mistake doesn't doesn't become a habit.  :-(
I just wanted to drop you a note and thank you for your love, affection and loyalty to me, drew, the models and.... The Price is Right....thank you for being such a "Loyal Friend & True". -Rich Fields (in an e-mail sent to me on 3/17/2010)

I support The Price is Right...even if nobody I know likes Drew Carey.

Offline junkaholic95

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2007, 10:59:07 PM »
*******DISCLAIMER*******
The following is nothing more than me thinking out loud.

I have tried to look on the bright side lately, but I'm now convinced more than ever that this show is dead.  First, we get a list of changes put on us and now this.  Right now I'm picturing a tomb stone that looks something like this:

The Price is Right
September 4, 1972 -  June 15, 2007
The greatest show in America for 35 years.

Were the other candidates being considered really THAT bad?  I knew this whole deal of Drew Carey getting picked seemed rather sudden and now it looks like CBS is going to regret their decision.  Plus, Syd Vinnedge, the guy who brought us the Hollywood mural, is executive producer now?  Why are all these bad decisions not the least bit surprising?

Now, if Drew cleans up his act and these big changes don't come all at once, then there may be some hope.  Right now though, I'm really really worried.

• Double Showcase Winner
  • BAZINGA!
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2007, 11:02:38 PM »
That's definitely not a "little" mistake.  The article compared Drew to a late-night talkshow host more than a gameshow host, and that's perhaps the most frightening thing I've ever heard said about someone bound for TPiR.  The times I've been to TPiR, the last words I'd use to describe Bob would be "smug" and "profane," and within minutes of his very first introduction to his own show, Drew earned both designations for himself.  That doesn't bode well for his TPiR career, nor for the success of the show.

That, along with CBS/Freemantle's selection of Carey over PiR "veteran" Todd Newton--who fans love as host of the live show--makes me seriously question what they saw in Carey and what, precisely, attracted them to him.  Moreover, it makes me seriously question how long we can realistically expect Carey's reign to last.  Worse yet, if they decide that Carey's not appropriate for the job, and decide that they want someone else, I have these nightmarish visions of on-air host tryouts not unlike the announcer tryouts we went through a few years back.

One thing's for sure...I'm beginning to agree with the speculation that Freemantle had a hand in Drew's selection.  With Syd being named EP, it seems unlikely that the choice was solely up to CBS.
"Whether you believe you can or you can't, you're right!"

Offline CBSpromoman

• Double Showcase Winner
    • Patrick’s Place
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2007, 11:06:43 PM »
Well, to be fair, I'm sure this kind of thing is something CBS and in particular the 'Price' staff will address with him if it becomes a problem on Stage 33.

At least the incidents described happened during breaks in the taping.  

I think that if he makes those kind of remarks before a 'Price' audience and they don't go over, someone will pull him aside and make him tone things down.

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2007, 11:12:42 PM »
After reading that article, I am for one shocked at Carey's behavior on the Power of 10 set.  His obscene language, suggestive humor, and his obliviousness to how huge Price's fanbase is really worries me about how he will host the show when Season 36 starts next month.  I still have some hope in Carey that he will do a good job hosting Price and he will not say such bad things that were mentioned in the article.  If he does a bad job hosting I will for one be fearful of the potential cancellation of Price, God forbid it happens.
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline TPIR75

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2007, 11:33:57 PM »
Before this continues, let's all remember, that Drew Carrey is only a human being.  And human beings make mistakes.  He said an obscenity, and apologized for it.  To me, everything said so far is just unwarrneted justification to label Drew as a bad/unfit host, and, making conclusions that Price will ultimately be cancelled in the near future.

Drew was named the new host, and people said the show would be cancelled.

Syd was named EP, and people said the show would be cancelled.

Set/music changes were announced, and people said the show would be cancelled.

And now this.  And more assumptions the show will not live beyond 2008.  I say, if Drew really is as bad as people are predicting[/u] he will be, and the show does get cancelled, then it gets cancelled.  

Like someone once said, "all good things must come to an end".  We've all seen our favorite shows come and go.  And when Price does go......life will go on.

Online Hag

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Don't fork too soon.
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2007, 11:34:30 PM »
No question, Drew's timing wasn't great on this.
2nd place, 2011 CSS playoffs.     QSW, 3/27/17, 1/15/18. Exacta, 5/14/21.

"Four cents cost you 10,000 dollars."

Online mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2007, 11:43:46 PM »
Listen folks,
Bob and the models appeared drunk in an episode in the 80s. Nobody's perfect - Drew can drop the F-bomb before going to tape, realize his mistake, and apologize for it. I personally don't have a problem with it; at least he realized he made a mistake and apologized for it.

And another thing, a LOT of people don't really realize how big Price really is, and Drew is one of them. At least he has acknowledged that he is replacing a legend, and that everybody will be watching his moves, and knows that he cannot live up to Bob's reputation and stature.

Finally, I don't know if anybody has seen this yet, but according to insiders, Drew has promised to lose 25 pounds for Price!
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.

Offline urbanpreppie0004

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2007, 11:53:07 PM »
Mrbrown, you're my new best friend!

Although there is a difference in the types of swear words, Bob and the cast have dropped "hell" and "damn" on air.

And once again, please keep in mind that not everyone holds game shows as "tape worthy" like we do (and that older fan). He simply doesn't know...In fact, I wonder if other hosts know that fans tape their shows.

He made a mistake. He fessed up to it. CALM DOWN, and don't jump to conclusions.

And please, at least until a show has AIRED, stop looking for reasons to dislike him and/or calling for the show's demise.

Offline jfultz

• Outside in Line
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2007, 11:53:52 PM »
I could be silent for so long before these complaints got to me.  People, please, come on!!  Drew has not taped show 1 of TPIR yet, and you're all condemning him to failure.  So he dropped the F bomb accidently at the Power of 10 taping...yes, the same show that asks the question about being a virgin at marriage.  There's a major difference between the shows.  Not that I'm looking for an excuse to do something he shouldn't have done, but realize the Power of 10 is no Price is Right.

Even with all of this on the table, in my opinion Drew is a better pick than anyone who was considered.  Also, you're expecting Drew, or anyone else chosen, to precisely replace a television icon who could never be duplicated.  Ease up on your expectations people!  So far you have nothing to judge Drew on.  Drew will never be a Bob Barker, then again, Rich, Todd, anyone, could be no Bob Barker either!  I am truly confident that Drew will do a great job on TPIR because he's quick on his feet and, compared to Todd, is more true in his compassion towards the stars of the show...the contestants.

Offline FieldsFan336

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Pika!
    • Behind the Microphone: The Rich Fields Fan Site
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2007, 11:58:15 PM »
Call me a little superstitious, but remember the Q105 Mason Dixon prophecy from that YouTube video?  I have this funny feeling that it might come true - the first part of the prophecy (bringing in a big name) has come to pass.  I wonder...
Rich Fields' #1 Fan for Life / 2011 CSS playoffs bronze medalist / Blitz Club (sole survivor of the Survivor special) / First QSW 5/9/23

Offline CBSpromoman

• Double Showcase Winner
    • Patrick’s Place
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2007, 01:00:08 AM »
The show is not going to be canceled BECAUSE OF Drew Carey.

IF he doesn't work out as host, and as others have pointed out, that's a TREMENDOUS "if" since no one has seen him actually do it, yet, they will get someone ELSE before they just let the show die.

It has been a hit for too long and made far too much money for anyone at the Network or Fremantle to just sit back and let it go down the tubes.

It's also just possible that this kind of publicity might just attract that many more people to the first week or so of shows to see how much really DOES change.

Offline gamefro

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2007, 01:00:52 AM »
A lot of people seem upset over Drew being surprised that somebody tapes TPiR daily.  I know many members here tape the show daily.  I'm certain at least one of them has received a similar reaction upon telling somebody (classmate, coworker, or another person who doesn't know you too well) that they tape the show daily.  I know I've gotten a similar reaction from people when I tell them I read the recaps here whenever I miss the show on TV.  Is Drew's reaction really that uncommon?  I don't think so.
Gamefro: "Retired" host of TPiR at the University of Nevada, Reno (spring 2003 - spring 2008).