Author Topic: Entertainment column: Drew drops "f-bomb" at Po10 Taping  (Read 6563 times)

Offline priceisrightforever

• Walking the Golden Road
    • Facebook
Re: Entertainment column: Drew drops "f-bomb" at Po10 Taping
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2007, 01:05:23 AM »
OK.Here is my two cents. Should Drew have said the f-word? No. Has other people in entertainment said the f-word? Yes. Is Drew under a microscope,everyone watching his every move? Oh yes. I think Drew is an ordinary guy. He is going to mess up. I think once he starts working on Price, he is going to realize just how big this is. I think we are going to be pleased once things get going. All that being said, I'm sure the powers that be had a good heart to heart talk with Drew about his slip up during the power of 10 taping.

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2007, 04:43:59 AM »

priceisrightforever wrote:
OK.Here is my two cents. Should Drew have said the f-word? No. Has other people in entertainment said the f-word? Yes.

Has no one ever seen Drew's stand-up comedy?  The book he wrote was called Dirty Jokes and Beer, with plenty of focus on the former.  To the degree this is a controversy, it is as ridiculous as the "controversy" that seems to pop up somewhere every few months when someone discovers that Bob Saget's comedy act is filthy (and always has been).

Offline TVC

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2007, 05:44:33 AM »
Has no one ever seen Drew's stand-up comedy?  The book he wrote was called Dirty Jokes and Beer, with plenty of focus on the former.

These excerpts might provide a flavor of Carey's sense of comedy.

Offline CBSpromoman

• Double Showcase Winner
    • Patrick’s Place
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2007, 08:27:20 AM »
You all should keep in mind, also, that this piece is an entertainment column, not just a news report, so the writer has taken a stand.  It is presented with a bit of a skew versus being completely objective.

It could be that the writer is a 'Price' fan but not a Carey fan.  Or that he's trying to stir up the pot a bit.

On the issue of the fan who tapes the show, I don't think it's so unreasonable that Carey would be shocked to know that someone tapes the show every day.  At the same time, I can understand the uneasiness that some people feel as they add this to their belief that he doesn't "get" the show.  Still, he's about to learn more than he ever thought he'd learn about 'Price.'

One other thing worth noting:  I hated Bob Saget on that home video show.  I thought he was awful on it...I hated the corny jokes, the long, painful pauses where he'd just stop until the audience laughed.  The fact that his real routine was x-rated didn't necessarily win him points with me one way or the other.  But I was surprised on "1 vs. 100" that he "remade" himself on that show.  I suspect that at some point, either he realized, or he was assisted in realizing that a game show audience doesn't necessarily want a nightclub act...even in prime time.

If Carey doesn't already realize this, you can bet CBS and the 'Price' staff will make that abundantly clear.  It's an interesting story that's going to get him a little more publicity and it could be one more thing the general public will be talking about -- which is why I mentioned it here -- but hardly a reason to start placing bets on a last airdate.
Visit my blog: Patrick's Place

Offline jaydlewis

• Double Showcase Winner
    • QWIZX.com
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2007, 09:53:00 AM »
A grown man said a swear. Big whoop...it isn't like he's tossing kittens into a wood chipper.

To the over-reactors: You do realize that adults don't always use nice words and tell knock-knock jokes, right? This big 'ol world isn't all gum drops and butterflies.

To the voices of reason: Thank you for BEING the voices of reason and being able to look at the big picture. It is my honest hope that the over-reactors learn some wisdom from you.

Offline LoligerBS

• In the Audience
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2007, 06:19:26 PM »
This message board should be Golden-Prude.net

Its a little ridiculous how much people over react over this stuff.  A few years ago, I posted about a Dane Cook bit about TPIR, as well as the SNL Weekend Update bit about Rod's death, and everybody was all offended.   Lighten Up.  People Swear, it happens.

Give Drew a chance!  We'll all know how this goes in a little bit over a month...

Offline temptation1979ga

• Double Showcase Winner
    • The Price is Right episode trading
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2007, 08:25:01 PM »
"And another thing, a LOT of people don't really realize how big Price really is, and Drew is one of them."

Right, but "a lot of people" weren't just chosen as the new host of the show to replace an outgoing legend. Don't you think it would make sense for him to have SOME idea of the loyalty and expectations of the show's fan base before he gets started taping? While it might be ok for Drew not to understand the magnitude and loyalty of the fan base of TPIR, I hope he eventually does realize what he's gotten himself into. I'm sure he will, whether he realizes it himself or the fans make it painfully obvious.

"Lighten Up. People Swear, it happens."

Sure, it happens, but there is a time and a place for everything. There is also the idea of having just a little class and dignity.

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2007, 09:11:34 PM »
And we all know, Bob *never* swore during a taping of TPiR, right?  (Wonders how many times he recited Happy Gilmore.....)

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2007, 06:14:46 AM »

temptation1979ga wrote:
Don't you think it would make sense for him to have SOME idea of the loyalty and expectations of the show's fan base before he gets started taping?

I don't think it matters nearly as much as you think.  The writers of The Simpsons have been openly disdainful of their "biggest fans," mocking them repeatedly on the show.  It didn't affect the quality of the program, and most of those fans still watch the show (even if they're ready to classify every new episode as the Worst Show Ever).

For what it's worth, I seriously doubt that Bob himself was aware that there are people who keep a personal library of every show (unless someone happened to mention it during Q&A at a taping).

Why is it that whenever Bob noted how amazed he was at the fascination people had toward the show, fans were charmed... yet when Drew expresses a similar sentiment, people are infuriated?

Offline Jeremy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • COME ON DOWN!! > Thursday @ 9pm ET!
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2007, 06:28:02 AM »
First of all, The Simpsons is known for making fun of those kind of things. Heck, they make fun of their own network for goodness sakes.

As for Bob quoting "Happy Gilmore", that's TOTALLY differnt. He's quoting a line from a film that he had a cameo in a decade ago, it's not like the way he said "Prizes" could logically offend someone, but there's really no way to make f-word good, even in a joke. It's a meaningless word that offends people.

Drew should be avoiding any type of "surprise" as to how big 'Price' is. Every little slip-up he makes about the show, like being surprised that people tape it, make people, including myself, lose faith in the fact that Drew Carey can do a good job hosting. Of all the candidates, he is certainly one of the few who know very little about the show. The perfect 'Price' host would be someone who knows the rules to most of the games from being a fan as well. I have the perfect idea for the host: BOB BARKER!!! They should clone him......
-->1600th Post 6/21/09!!!!!<--
**Join the party > TPiR '09 - www.pricenetwork.proboards.com!**
~ Season Finale June 25th!~

Offline mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2007, 12:21:47 PM »

PriceFan14 wrote:
As for Bob quoting "Happy Gilmore", that's TOTALLY differnt. He's quoting a line from a film that he had a cameo in a decade ago, it's not like the way he said "Prizes" could logically offend someone, but there's really no way to make f-word good, even in a joke. It's a meaningless word that offends people.

Then it is really going to shock and offend you when you realize he starred in a documentary of the same name.
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.

Offline bclark71

• Outside in Line
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2007, 01:12:24 PM »
Please remember that while Drew might have said "The F-word," Bob was actually DOING the F-word in his dressing room if you will recall.

They're adults.  They can curse and do as they please.  All that matters is what I see at 11am ET on CBS.

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2007, 04:46:26 PM »

PriceFan14 wrote:

You're right.  Most people don't care if you call them "Prizes".  (I'll take Holier Than Thou for $200, Alex.)

Offline UAB-Kirksville

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2007, 05:03:43 PM »
OK, let's all stop this rush to judgment, and wait to pass it when the the episodes with Drew Carey actually air. To those of you who say you will not watch the show if Drew is host, then you weren't a Price fan to begin with, so quit bitching, leave the board, and let the rest of us continue to await the premiere of Season 36.

Offline CBSpromoman

• Double Showcase Winner
    • Patrick’s Place
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2007, 02:41:46 PM »

UAB-Kirksville wrote:
To those of you who say you will not watch the show if Drew is host, then you weren't a Price fan to begin with, so quit bitching, leave the board, and let the rest of us continue to await the premiere of Season 36.

This doesn't apply to me, because I plan on watching.

But while I think it's highly presumptuous to suggest that the show is dead just because a different host will be running things, I think it's even more presumptuous to try to define whether someone is a fan OR to tell them whether to start packing or not.

Different people have different opinions.  That's life.  

There are people who aren't going to watch because they love what Bob made the show into for all those years and they're just afraid that no one else can live up to those standards.  If they don't like Drew Carey, it's probably better that they don't watch rather than complain every day about every little thing that Drew does differently.  That does not change how much they love "The Price is Right" as they have come to know it for the past 35 years.

It may be hard for some to believe, but there ARE people who can't stand Barker, and who may well be more likely to watch now that Drew will host.  And six months from now, if they're really enthusiastic about the show and are taping it and watching every day, it would be just as unfair to say they aren't REALLY fans of the show just because they didn't care for it when Barker hosted.

Unless you own the site, I don't think you should try to tell people who is and isn't welcome to stop by.

Everybody's got an opinion...and yours isn't anymore right than anyone else's.

If people aren't to be allowed to express themselves here in a reasonable discussion, I wonder why we'd have a forum feature on the site to start with.
Visit my blog: Patrick's Place