Author Topic: Drew's First Week of Tapings Report - 8/15-8/17  (Read 7121 times)

Offline Voltron291

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Re: Drew's First Week of Tapings Report - 8/15-8/17
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2007, 10:18:33 AM »
I just thought of something no one has asked yet. Does Drew wear a suit like Bob did, or is he more like Tom Bergeron was on H2?

Yes, Drew also wears a suit.

As for the jokes...well, maybe some of those that were in very poor taste (i.e., the I-35 joke) will be edited out. At least I hope so. As for the mocking of the prizes...Barker never mocked them on the air ON THE SAME SHOW, but has disclosed in several interviews that he couldn't believe that they offered certain prizes on the show, such as the portable submarine from years back.

Thankfully, most of the poor taste jokes were during commercial breaks with the audience.  However, there were times when they'd reveal a prize and Drew would laugh uncontrollably because he couldn't believe what it actually was (He sees a tiny car and thinks it's a miniature car but when you hear the prize description it's an MP3 holder).

If I were CBS, I would reair his first show in Primetime ala Bob's finale- it'll help expose a new audience to the show.

If the Late Friday taping was the season premiere, I'd agree that it would likely be a great show to re-air in primetime, but I don't think CBS is going to do that during a sweeps month or just before a sweeps month.

And as for cancelling, I wouldn't worry about that either...Price isn't a new, throwaway sitcom or CSI clone- CBS will give it a fair shake!

What I was referring to was audience turnout.  This was the first few tapings with Drew, and despite the turnaround time between ticket announcement and tapings, there had to be paid audiences for more than half of the tapings this week. I think the other reason that turnout was low is because people want to see Drew in action on TV hosting TPIR before making their decision to go see him in studio - which I had found from several people I asked when I said I was going to the 1st few tapings.

Once Drew's first shows start to air, if people's reactions are accepting of Drew - attendance for the show will be just like it was in the pre-retirement Barker days and the show will be just fine.  However, if we have to resort to paid audiences in the colder months when turnout is lowest (like mid-December and February), then we might have a problem.

This may be the end of his time as a page, but I honestly think TPIR will hold on to him in some form.

I was told he was going to move on to Dancing with the Stars - the other show he works on, and he also has a minor role in Young and the Restless.

Offline Train

• In Contestant's Row
Another thanks
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2007, 11:17:58 AM »
We have a Voltron fan.  One of the show I enjoyed and watched when I grew  :)

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
Re: Another thanks
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2007, 11:20:56 AM »
Train wrote:

We have a Voltron fan.  One of the show I enjoyed and watched when I grew  :)

Our friend Mr. Voltaire R. has never seen an episode of Voltron.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline mlh1981

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2007, 12:52:37 PM »
great trip report!  That was probably the best trip report ever posted on here!  Sucks that you haven't been picked yet as a contestant, but you have a great attitude about it.  That should never be anyone's expectation, especially when the odds are so low of being picked. (tell that to the bloke who left early!  Geez, what a bum!)

Offline James_Fabiano

• In the Audience
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2007, 12:05:24 PM »
Mostly sounds good.  I am worried about Drew using edgy or sarcastic humor too much, TPIR does not need to be injected with a lethal dose of attitude as other shows have in the past.  It's one of the few programs I think was/is still "safe" for the most part, and true to its roots.   Hopefully someone is briefing him on what he can and can't/shouldn't do though.  

What I saw of the set is different, but somehow it says "Drew," if that makes any sense.  Yes at least it won't be GirderAndDarkness-A-Mania like Donnymid and such.  

Also, I forget if this has been answered...but what is the fate of the Vegas show?  I do rather want to go again when I am back in LV.  Will it go on?  Will it conform to the changes of the TV show?  Bueller?  Chief?  McCLOUD!
I STILL BELIEVE IN "THE PRICE IS RIGHT"

Offline mlh1981

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2007, 07:50:35 PM »
I'll be sure to wear my Chad Johnson Bengals jersey when I go sometime next year.  I know Drew would like that  :-D