Author Topic: tour of CBS television city/Price is Right?  (Read 4499 times)

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: tour of CBS television city/Price is Right?
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2007, 08:56:18 PM »

Vexorg wrote:
I actually recall taking the NBC studio tour many years ago (sometime during the late Eighties.)

I took that tour about 15 years ago... it's not as cheesy as some, but as you noted, it's got it's share of "stand in front of this blue screen and pretend you're flying" silliness.

At one point, our tour guide was demonstrating playing "ding" and "buzz" sound effects from carts, and decided to quiz me on things he had mentioned on the tour.  Unfortunately for him, I absorb useless TV trivia like a sponge, and got every question right (including the square footage of Studio 11).  Finally, he rolled his eyes and said, "Okay, let's just pretend like you got that last one wrong," so that he could "buzz" me.  ;-)

Offline ewalker3

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2007, 02:39:18 PM »
there is no deal or package to go tour cbstvc. You have to know someone there to get in.

As far as getting to spin the wheel. It quite an attraction after everyone is gone. Almost every time I've been there someone stops in the corridor to spin the wheel.

Guests from Craig Kilborne were down there one time (some no name band came down to see the set). among many others.

Offline ClockGameJohn

• TPiR Alumnus &
  • Executive Producer
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2007, 07:42:45 PM »
Interestingly enough:

The Pennsylvania Lottery's current $5 "The Price is RightŪ Instant Scratch Off Game" offers 20 trips to the show as one of the top three prizes:

9.  Pennsylvania The Price is RightŪ Trip Package Description:

(a)  Each Pennsylvania The Price is RightŪ Trip Package prize will have an approximate value of $18,145, and includes a $4,536 federal withholding credit and two thousand dollars ($2,000) spending money. The Trip Package also includes the following:

(1)  Round-trip, first-class airfare for two (2) persons to Los Angeles International Airport. Departure cities include Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

(2)  Five (5) days/four (4) nights suite accommodations at the Omni Los Angeles at California Plaza.

(3)  Round-trip limo transfers in California from and to airport/hotel and CBS Television City.

(4)  Luxury rental car.

(5)  Tickets for two (2) to the ''Hollywood Movie Star Experience'' tour; includes Sony Pictures Studio Highlight Tour, Movie Stars' Homes and Inside ''heart of Hollywood'' Walking Tour.

(6)  Deluxe dinner for two (2) at World Famous Spago Restaurant.

(7)  Tickets for two (2) to a taping of The Price is RightŪ game show in CBS Television City with exclusive VIP tour.

(b)  The Pennsylvania The Price is RightŪ Showcase Trip Package prize restrictions:

(1)  The Pennsylvania The Price is RightŪ Showcase Trip Package prize winner must be at least eighteen (18) years of age.

(2)  The Pennsylvania The Price is RightŪ Showcase Trip Package prize is not redeemable for cash and is transferable one time.

(3)  Participation as a contestant on The Price is RightŪ show is not included.

(4)  The Pennsylvania The Price is RightŪ Showcase Trip Package prize winner will be responsible for the following expenses: applicable travel expenses to and from the departure airport or any airport parking fees; entertainment including alcoholic beverages; fees (i.e., departure fees, excess baggage fees, etc.); additional gratuities; hotel incidentals (i.e., telephone calls, valet services, laundry, gift shop, etc.); additional transportation other than described herein; travel accident, baggage and trip cancellation insurance. The winner will be responsible for any additional costs incurred by the following changes to the trip package: change of travel companion; staying additional nights; adding additional travelers; upgrading transportation; upgrading hotel room; upgrading class of airline; or any other applicable trip details.

(5)  If the Pennsylvania The Price is RightŪ Trip Package prize winner cancels the trip, the trip package will be void. There will be no extensions and the winner will not receive any reimbursement for the unused trip package. Airline tickets are non-refundable and all airline rules and restrictions apply. Other restrictions may apply.

(6)  Pennsylvania The Price is RightŪ Showcase Trips must be taken by 12/31/2008.
John

Offline Shredder

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2007, 08:31:03 AM »
We took the NBC tour probably around 1993. 

But we missed the Saturday Night Live set because of the simple fact that Mattell was taping a BArbie special that day that probably never saw the light of day.  Ugh.  Oh well, at least we got too see the original bee costume and cone head head.  We also lambasted the pour tour guide asking constantly why they got rid of David Letterman :).  I'd love to roam studio city with HD camera :),

Online Flerbert419

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2007, 12:45:52 PM »
i took the NBC tour about 5 years ago, its basically the same, i saw the "dateline" set up close which was pretty cool
they want you to buy merchandise at the store too, i got a trump "you're fired" mug  :biggrin:
but, id much rather take a tour of Studio City, or i could just go to Pennsylvania and win the lottery
"The most famous game on The Price is Right is Plinko..." "Which I don't get, honestly."
~ Drew Carey to Chris Wallace, aired January 26, 2024

Offline ib4uf

• In Contestant's Row
  • Technical Director
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2007, 01:41:54 PM »
i took the NBC tour about 5 years ago, its basically the same, i saw the "dateline" set up close which was pretty cool
they want you to buy merchandise at the store too, i got a trump "you're fired" mug  :biggrin:
but, id much rather take a tour of Studio City, or i could just go to Pennsylvania and win the lottery

I believe CNN still offers their Atlanta tour. It is neat in a way in that one is able to stand above the CNN newsroom and watch the people do their jobs without "getting in the way". The tours were also guided so they kept moving. Their building was set-up for this tour (or renovated for such) so, it could accommodate. The CBS building or the others mentioned may not be flexible enough to renovate.

The post-911 situations which face us today may also have something to do with limiting people from hanging around too.

Offline price_authority

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2007, 12:35:39 PM »
The employee who showed us around explained that the Network discontinued public tours after a lady pressed the stop button on a two-inch VTR that was playing All in the Family to the Eastern and Central time zones!

ooh she pressed the stop button?

Suuuuure she did. And they can't start the range finder again for 37 hours.

This sounds like so much urban mythology to me. No one in their right mind would allow the public so close to a machine playing out to the network. Notice how this story involves an important show like All In the Family. It wouldn't sound as impressive if the story had her stopping tape during the daytime playout of Give-N-Take or Alice.

Even something as simple as letting people hang around studio 33 after the show would be cool.  I mean, I'm sure there is some sort of excellent reason why they don't allow this, but I can't think of anything off the top of my head.  Let people spin the big wheel, or even just get up on stage and gawk

Well, ever since a gunman entered through the Artists' Entrance in 2002 and later shot himself inside the building, CBS has been interested in giving the public less access to the building rather than more. Also, time is money in TV production. After a show has finished taping it's time to start rehearsing the next one or wrap/strike the studio. Someone would have to pay for the extra studio time while audience members linger. It is, after all, a working TV studio, not an amusement park. Besides, ever since the advent of Internet for the masses in the mid-90s, Roger has fairly turned backstage at TPIR into a southern California tourist attraction, letting in any fan who asks seemingly without concern for the security of the prizes, props or game material. He's darn lucky he hasn't had any unfortunate incidents doing this. I've been told that the stagehands and staff have become not too keen on having their pictures snapped and later appearing on the Internet as if they were the guy dressed in the Goofy suit at Disneyland.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 12:49:22 PM by price_authority »
Before you call your lawyer to sue me, know that everything contained in this post and in all of my posts past, present and future is entirely MY PERSONAL OPINION.

Offline mlh1981

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2007, 05:49:11 PM »
do contestants get to see additional parts/rooms of the studio after the taping?  Where do they fill out their paperwork?  I would imagine that the lucky 6 people get to see things that most people normally wouldn't get to.

Online The Big Wheel

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2007, 01:19:20 PM »
Besides, ever since the advent of Internet for the masses in the mid-90s, Roger has fairly turned backstage at TPIR into a southern California tourist attraction, letting in any fan who asks seemingly without concern for the security of the prizes, props or game material. He's darn lucky he hasn't had any unfortunate incidents doing this. I've been told that the stagehands and staff have become not too keen on having their pictures snapped and later appearing on the Internet as if they were the guy dressed in the Goofy suit at Disneyland.

That's a pretty strong statement there.  I'm not questioning what you have said but I will say that I think Roger has enough forknowledge of what may happen before he lets anyone backstage to snap pictures or handle props.  He knows that pictures can and sometimes do wind up on internet sites with or without one's approval.
Life moves pretty fast; if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it!