Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 06/14/2006  (Read 33098 times)

Offline Geoffrey Weagraff

• Walking the Golden Road
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 06/14/2006
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2006, 03:54:07 PM »
The first segment of the show was glitchy for some reason, it might have been my local CBS station, but I'm not sure. But it's ironic that Bob said at the start of Plinko that if he won $50,000, it would be the last TPiR on CBS. I mean, I don't think that will ever happen. But then, after he said that, he got 4 out of 5 zeros.

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2006, 03:57:27 PM »
That is hardly ironic.
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.

Offline shellgame69

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2006, 04:10:40 PM »
2 for 1-I figured the tools were $729.

Plinko-This is why it's my least favorite cash game: cheap amounts being won.  It seems that it's just too hard to win big money nowadays, isn't it? :-?

Any Number: WOW!  I thought it couldn't get any more dismal after the near plinko disaster.  I figured the car was $17K. :-?

Grocery Game: I didn't like how Karen S. went with the cheapest 1st.  I was amazed that she won despite not playing very well. :-?

TTM: I thought stopping at 20K was the right thing to do.

Double Prices: I knew $8998 was correct.

My tape ended there, but I did see the showcase reveals live, and I knew Anthony was way off on the Equinox showcase.

Overall: a very weird and fun show today.

• Outside in Line
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2006, 04:14:28 PM »
just Curious.. whats the most expensive prize ever  offered in double prices? not on a primetime specIal, a regular ep

Offline I_am_anonymous

• Outside in Line
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2006, 04:19:13 PM »

Nick wrote:

Do they still do those right in the middle of programs?  Aren't those what station breaks are for?

ugh yes, every wednesday I also get the 'test'...usually right around the time of pricing game #3...thankfully today it happened during the commercial after Plinko

Offline pathfinder2119

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Me immortalized as a South Park character
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2006, 04:34:16 PM »
Even with not many wins, today's show was very good.

Even though Grocery Game was won, it wasn't played very well. Picking the pasta sauce first wasn't smart.

The Any Number loss was disappointing. It wasn't really played that badly.

I thought Double Prices was pretty much a tossup.

Offline Madonna

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2006, 04:37:51 PM »
2 For The Price Of One: Outside of going with the third digit for free, that was pretty well played... The first number was definitely 7, and I was 99% sure the last was 9, so the smart choice would've been to take the middle one...

Still, it worked out for Anthony...

Plinko: *sigh* *groan* *shaking head* Welcome to yet another classic example of why this game doesn't give me a warm, cozy feeling... Third time this year I've seen a contestant drop 5 chips, get four 0's and walk away with $500 (if you count me watching Andrew do so twice)...

Brutal. Just brutal.

Any Number: Ouch... Could be worse: At least Douglas didn't give the 9, the 8 and the 3 as his first three picks... :-?

One-Bid #4: Oy vey.

Grocery Game: Let's hear it for blind luck.. I don't think Karen knew what she was doing - in fact, I'd bet on it after buying one pasta sauce.. But wouldn't you know it, she pulls it off..

That's Too Pink: Once again, one more! One more! One more! A real shame, considering Ruth actually yelled it with some gusto!

Double Prices: Is it wishful thinking? Why is it that everytime one of the prices in this game is over $10,000, it always gets picked, even though it's almost always wrong? :-?

Showcases: Well, at least no reason to worry about a DOB here...

Karen was clearly at least $3,000 too low.. I was thinking $17,500 for hers, personally...

Anthony, though, was way too low... I could swear at one point he flashed "23" at the audience, as if asking whether to bid $23,000.. A shame he didn't... $17,200, obviously, didn't even cover the car... I was guessing $22,000 on it myself...

Logik, your father was the last contestant called? Sweet... A shame he didn't make his way up on stage...

That's pretty funny that they smashed up the Focus with the backdrop.. Whoops! I was wondering if my eyes were playing tricks on me, or if that was a dent... :lol:
In loving and eternal memory of a truly beautiful goddess.

Offline logikreader

« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2006, 05:10:12 PM »

Madonna wrote:

Logik, your father was the last contestant called? Sweet... A shame he didn't make his way up on stage...

I'd have loved to see him spin the big wheel, but he wound up with some very nice parting gifts, including that elusive cordless telephone from the ISC.  I had no idea parting gifts were almost 500 dollars!

Offline PIR85

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2006, 05:46:13 PM »
The dent on the Focus was very noticeable.  If they were going to reshoot the piece, I cannot imagine why they wouldn't have turned it around.  I also thought it was just the lighting at first; I waited until they showed the entire car again until I realized that it certainly was a dent!  

Why would they reshoot it?  On Tyra Banks's show, she had an interview with Barker.  He said that if mistakes happen on the show, they let it onto the air.  (Namely, Janice's disasters!)  I wonder why they didn't leave it alone so we could have seen Bob's and the contestant's reactions.

Offline BRB_TheFireball

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A Man Without A Forum
    • The Fireball on Golden-Road.net
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2006, 05:54:10 PM »
PG #1 - Wow, expensive power tools today.  I had $429.

PG #2 - After a two-week absence, we get a $500 STINKO.

PG #3 - They played the "Sam" cue and we're not playing 10 Chances?!  What's up with that?!  LOL!  Dented car alert!  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  And speaking of $500 Stinkos, that's the first time in a long time that a contestant lit up all three numbers in the middle prize without lighting up anything else.

PG #4 - That was one of the worst playings of Grocery Game ever, yet somehow, she won the game.  I'd understand if a contestant went 1 Capzasin, 1 [d]Tiddy[/d] Tidy Cats, and 1 sauce... but going for the "1 sauce" first was just plain dumb.  Personally, I thought that she was screwed after she went "1 sauce, 1 Capzasin".  I thought that was the $7.47 jug of cat litter.

PG #5 - That's Too Cheap!  Ford Fusion = hybrid car = $$$$$.  You can't get any base-model hybrids from any car company for under 20 Gs.

PG #6 - Nice job spoiling Double Prices, Bart.  And how was this game lost today, anyway?

SCSD #2 - Another showcase with two $1,000 Big Wheel winners.  Anthony spun the wheel a little too soft.  Bob and Karen spun the wheel a little too hard.  If we could just average their spin strengths...

My showcase bids - Starcrossed:  $13,400.  Car:  $22,900.

Pathfinder2119 wrote:
I thought Double Prices was pretty much a tossup.

Technically, isn't Double Prices always a tossup?  :-?
Well, this week was supposed to be a return to normalcy, but that's clearly not allowed.  Since you feel there is no need for this week's FPG to continue, I feel there is no need to continue as an FPG host or a G-R.net member.  Since most people are so desperate to push me out of here, why delay it?  I would have preferred that everybody publicly admitted it rather than string me along for the last two days, but it is what it is.  I am hereby resigning as FPG host and moderator, effective immediately.  whammy007 is the new permanent host.  No R-rated rant or airing of grievances from me.  Just a polite "goodbye for good".

--Fireball to Chelsea, 1/15/16

Offline whinbaby

• Double Showcase Winner
  • No whining!
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2006, 06:35:31 PM »
Show #6404

Yamaha VX110 Waverunner
All previous appearances of that prize were in the showcases, but today, this is its first appearance outside the showcases.  

Showcase #1
Broyhill Elk River Living Room and Hibernia Woolen Mills Carpeting - $7,525
Gemstone Globe - $1,250
Trip to Hong Kong - $9,365

Showcase #2
Fetco Picture Frames, which wasn't on Price before - $374
The Fugitive DVD, but not the FBI's most wanted fugitives - $25
Samsung 7" Portable DVD Player - $230
Chevrolet Equinox LS - $22,385

Modeling Report for June 14, 2006, Flag Day
Score to beat:  $54,183

Shane Stirling
Total - $72,492
[color=0000FF]Won - $23,899 (32.97%)[/color]
[color=FF0000]Lost - $48,593 (67.03%)[/color]
Record - 5-3

Phire Dawson
Total - $27,146
[color=0000FF]Won - $5,497 (20.25%)[/color]
[color=FF0000]Lost - $21,649 (79.75%)[/color]
Record - 4-2

Brandi Sherwood
Total - $13,682
[color=0000FF]Won - $13,427 (98.14%)[/color]
[color=FF0000]Lost - $255 (1.86%)[/color]
Record - 10-2

...and then, there were 27 modeling totals.

All 26 prizes today totaled $160,928!

« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2006, 06:36:41 PM »
2F1: Simple enough, and he was smart enough to use the last digit as a free digit. Very well done!

Plinko: I have to echo the sentiments of above. This game needs an infusion, better luck, OR SOMETHING! 500 bucks for 5 chips totally sucks.

Any #: That guy looked like a Randy West double! Lol, when he first bid I thought it was Randy, but Mr. West is ineligible (since he was on Freemantle's payroll a few years ago). No numbers in the bank, or the car, straight 3 across the prize. When was the last time that happened?

Grocery: Wow, interesting way to play it. Especially with that Damn Capsazin, I figured she would pick 2 and go over, but she played rather well, just a weird way I guess. When (if ever) was the last time a contestant used all 5 items in the GC? I thought we were heading that way for sure.

TTM: I thought the fusion was a bit shy under 20k, or it could have been with different features? Anyways, the ole "day late/dollar short" syndrome, once again. Seems like we had a quite a few wins early in the season, I guess it's correcting itself for that.

DP: Clearly the 10k price was high, duh!

Ok show, no real big moments or events to speak of. Maybe the way Grocery Game was played could be the highlight of the show?

Offline Mallory16

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Icon by Gemma Moody
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2006, 07:08:11 PM »
Seriously, people:  why was Double Prices so "obvious"?  The wrong price was only $2000 higher than the right price:  essentially $9000 versus $11,000.  And the wrong price looked better:  $x999 looks better than $x998.  So why, please tell, was the game so "obviously" easy, 'cause I sure didn't think it was.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2006, 07:51:31 PM »
Was it just me, or did Bob seem a little off today?  He didn't really do anything wrong, but there were a lot of times where he seemed to be grasping for words or not phrasing things quite the way he usually does.

The two games that were won today weren't really played very well.  2 for the Price of 1 would have been a lot easier if Anthony had asked for the second number...and I'm truly amazed that Karen won Grocery Game, because she clearly didn't have any idea how she was supposed to play it.

It's too bad Jared didn't win more than $500 in Plinko, because he was pretty clearly a true fan who was having a good time regardless of what happened to him.

Holy...they actually used Sam in Any Number!  When the heck was the last time that happened?!

And Any Number itself was just strange.  I don't think Roger did this intentionally, but considering what car was being played for, what ended up happening today wasn't really all that far-fetched.

heelsrule1988 wrote:

Plinko- It's getting to the point where I'm starting to totally hate this game now. It's not the same it used to be at all.

It's been played less times this year than it has in probably at least a decade, and you're complaining about it?!

sternal wrote:

Plinko- Ugh! That could have not been played any worse.

Yes, it could...and you make it sound like it was Jared's fault.

sternal wrote:

Grocery Game- Karen played Very well.

That's ridiculous.  She plainly had no idea what she was doing; the fact that she won was pure luck.

Frank15 wrote:

I don't think Amar had much of a clue what he was doing in contestants' row. Bidding $749 during an overbid when the lowest bid was $750, and bidding $1 as the second bidder... even his $2222 bid, while not technically bad, just screamed "I have no idea what I'm doing!" I'm glad he didn't get out of contestants' row.

Amazingly, I think you actually liked him better than I did.

Frank15 wrote:

heelsrule1988 claimed:

Double Prices- That should've been won. No excuses

I would have lost.  A single prize ending in 999 looks better than a single prize ending in 998, it's that simple .

Didn't I just explain this to you last week?

logikreader wrote:

Could Any Number have been played any worse than it was today? That had to be the worst I've seen it played all season!

Aside from guessing 4 while clearly looking for the first number, I don't think it was played badly at all.  It's not like Focuses are known for being expensive.

BobboChung wrote:

Grocery Game: EXCELLENT playing! Karen is one of the best players I have seen playing this game in a while! Probably the highlight of the show for me.

Why am I not surprised that you thought the most clueless contestant on the episode played her game excellently?

BobboChung wrote:

That's Too Much: Kinda surprised this popped up instead of Card Game, because I was expecting Card Game when the Fusion showed up.

You shouldn't have been, seeing as said Fusion was behind Door #3.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline Jordanar18

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Currently, I live in the past.
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 06/13/2006
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2006, 09:19:44 PM »
BRB_TheFireball wrote:
PG #6 - Nice job spoiling Double Prices, Bart.

I don't think it was Bart's fault; it was the cameraman's.  But it's not like we're disappointed with it being spoiled anyway.  :-P

SteveGavazzi wrote:

heelsrule1988 wrote:

Plinko- It's getting to the point where I'm starting to totally hate this game now. It's not the same it used to be at all.

It's been played less times this year than it has in probably at least a decade, and you're complaining about it?!

I have to back heels on this one; it's sorta been on a rotten losing streak.