Author Topic: "I ask you...is he/she a winner?"  (Read 8091 times)

Offline JudgePLM

• Outside in Line
"I ask you...is he/she a winner?"
« on: September 27, 2007, 03:51:37 AM »
Hi there. I have a confession to make.

My absolute FAVORITE games on the show are the ones where Bob (and now Drew) has to ask if the contestant has won, and the reveal is simply the disappointing buzz of the buzzer or the happy dinging of the victory bell, the flashing/twinkling lights and the roar of the audience's approval.

Coming or Going...

Make Your Move...

Cover Up...

One Away (not really Bob asking, but it's the same effect!)...

Line 'Em Up...

And That's Too Much!

That eternal instant between when Bob asks if it's a win and the sound effect that tells the tale...

When the contestant is on pins and needles (and so is the audience!)...

No other show on television can do that!

Offline ClockGameJohn

• TPiR Alumnus &
  • Executive Producer
Re: "I ask you...is he/she a winner?"
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2007, 04:42:27 AM »
Oddly enough, I'd have to agree.  Make Your Move's win reveal has always been one of my very favorites.

...don't forget "Light - Up - The - Bonus!"  :)
John

Offline anynumber76

• In the Audience
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 08:57:30 AM »
No need to confess to liking this type of reveal, Judge.  I also am a fan of the short suspensful pause after Bob/Drew will ask if the contestant has won.

There's no sweeter sound on TPIR than the bells ringing, music blaring, and crowd cheering a big win.

Offline GoldenBulldog

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Creative Writer, Loyal Friend and True
    • My Faceook Page
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 03:11:05 PM »
I'm gonna miss Bob's way of "teasing" contestants before big reveals...  :-(

In my view, I love it when the audience goes nuts for big wins, but this is music to my ears:

[color=CC3300]*MRRRRRRRRP*  *BUM-DUM-DA-DUM...AWWWWWWW*[/color]

I know TPIRFan1986 would LOVE to hear that...sorry, couldn't resist!  

:-D
I just wanted to drop you a note and thank you for your love, affection and loyalty to me, drew, the models and.... The Price is Right....thank you for being such a "Loyal Friend & True". -Rich Fields (in an e-mail sent to me on 3/17/2010)

I support The Price is Right...even if nobody I know likes Drew Carey.

Offline PlinkoChip

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2007, 03:27:42 PM »
I always loved when Bob did that, especially Golden Road. Gotta love how he would pretend to have forgotten the contestant's choice due to stretching it out so long. Half Off is exciting in this manner as well.

[after a long long stretch out like the one on the next post]
Bob: We want a...*reaches for the tab and stops*...What did you say you wanted again?
Contestant: 9!
Bob: A 9! *Yanks out tab to reveal a 9*
Insert signature here.

Offline JudgePLM

• Outside in Line
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2007, 05:45:21 PM »
Yes, second to the SFX reveal is the old Barker pump-fake...

*Reaches to reveal*

Bob - "Now you understand that you'll win if this is a 5, right?"

Contestant - "YES BOB, I UNDERSTAND!"

*Reaches again*

B - "Have you ever won anything like this before?"

**Audience groan**

C - "NO BOB, I HAVEN'T!"

*Reaches again*

B - "Isn't this exciting?!"

**Another audience groan**

C - "YES BOB, IT IS!"

*Reaches again*

B - "You're sure you understand the situation here? If this is a 5, you're a winner."

**Loudest audience groan yet**

C - "YES BOB, I KNOW!"

B - "Well then let's SEE!"

*QUICK REVEAL*

When the contestant wins in these situations, it's a TPIR signature moment. All the buildup, all the suspense, and then finally a happy ending to the situation.

Again...No other show on television can do that!

Offline FieldsFan336

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Pika!
    • Behind the Microphone: The Rich Fields Fan Site
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2007, 12:38:55 AM »
Ah yes, sneaky ol' Bob.  The undisputed Master of the False Reveal
Rich Fields' #1 Fan for Life / 2011 CSS playoffs bronze medalist / Blitz Club (sole survivor of the Survivor special) / First QSW 5/9/23

Offline hyhybt

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2007, 02:14:12 AM »
I'm gonna miss Bob's way of "teasing" contestants before big reveals...
I'll probably be chased off the board for saying this, but I despise that act; it might have been ok if he only did it on very rare occasions (say, three times a season, max), but as it was it was just obnoxious. I always want a contestant to give up, reach around him, and pull the card/hit the button/open the flap himself.

One of the very few reasons I'm glad he's retired, and I can only hope Drew Carey doesn't copy it.

I do seem to remember he used to do them better (and less often) than he did the last several years, and it felt more like he was actually trying to build suspense, where now it feels more like he's trying to do his "suspense-building act", if that makes any sense.

Offline Grand_game2004

• Double Showcase Winner
  • GEORGE GRAY IS A W E S O M E!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2007, 11:58:54 AM »
I love the reveal as well! Grand game is a good example of bob's "Extended reveal"

Bob: Nate, you know if the trash bags are under $6.99, you'll win ten thousand dollars, right?

me: Of course I do!

Bob: Let's see if he's a - What would you do if you won the $10,000?

me: I don't know!

Bob: Isn't this exciting?

me: of course it is! Let's see it already!

*Price reveal* *Sirens & Bells* *Theme playing* *Audience cheering*

Bob: WOW! We just gave away $10,000, and you'll never know what we might have next for a lucky contestant, so STAY TUNED!!!!! *Fade to commercial*

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2007, 12:41:46 PM »

hyhybt wrote:
I do seem to remember he used to do them better (and less often) than he did the last several years, and it felt more like he was actually trying to build suspense, where now it feels more like he's trying to do his "suspense-building act", if that makes any sense.

I think I get what you're saying.  In years past, Bob's misdirection seemed to flow more naturally, making the exasperation of the contestants all the more hilarious.  (Johnny Carson was also a master of deliberately throwing people off while managing to make it seem innocent.)  In recent years, Bob would just stop mid-sentence during the feigned reveal and then say something completely non-sequitur, making it abundantly clear that he was screwing with the contestants.

Personally, that gag didn't offend my sensibilities... I think anyone should be able to put up with a little teasing for a new car.  But I can tell you that you're not the only person in the world who thinks Bob's interaction with the contestants was sometimes mocking or disrespectful.

Offline Joe_Capitano

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2007, 03:10:06 PM »
Personally, on the MYM reveal I'd like Barker to have said "Did (s)he make the right move?" Just sounds better to me.

Offline edmojautis

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2007, 07:58:18 PM »
Bob did those "teasers" like no one else could do and I'm gonna miss them a lot.

Offline Grand_game2004

• Double Showcase Winner
  • GEORGE GRAY IS A W E S O M E!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: \
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2008, 03:06:04 PM »
Seeing how these reveals are done, makes for a very suspenseful moment where time seems to crawl almost to a stop! You hear everything slowing down (just like an old record) and everything is going in slow motion and then, you either hear the losing horns & buzzer with the main theme (and sometimes with audience awwwwwwww), dings with the main theme & audience applause, and if you're lucky enough, Sirens & alarms with main theme, and huge audience applause, and then everything comes back to normal speed again! I love moments like these, especially on other gameshows!

Offline MissesJanice

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2008, 03:14:46 PM »
Personally, on the MYM reveal I'd like Barker to have said "Did (s)he make the right move?" Just sounds better to me.

I also liked when they would light up the choices the contestant selected and then ask if they won. I miss that part of the element.
"The Price is Right will never be the same, it will always be in an evolving state." - MissesJanice

Offline temptation1979ga

• Double Showcase Winner
    • The Price is Right episode trading
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2008, 03:59:05 PM »
I like these too. I used to like it when Bob would actually personify Make Your Move on occasion. Instead of "is she right?, he'd throw in a little extra..."And now tell us, O Make Your Move board, is she a winner?" Just a couple extra words here or there can really change a reveal, and that can be true for many of the games.