Author Topic: What was the most painful loss you saw on TPIR?  (Read 14905 times)

Offline ucb2912

• Walking the Golden Road
What was the most painful loss you saw on TPIR?
« on: May 08, 2006, 11:25:03 AM »
Just like the subject says: In all the years that you watched TPIR, what was the most painful loss you saw?

I didn't see what I think is the most painful loss, but I heard about it: The guy who got all six products right in Hole in One, putted from the closest line, and still missed the shot (This was before the Or Two rule was introduced).

Offline catdogwheel

• Double Showcase Winner
    • www.meijer.com
Re: What was the most painful loss you saw on TPIR?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2006, 11:57:24 AM »
Actually there was one the other day in Dice Game. On the first die the girl rolled a 2 and guessed higher, and then rolled a 1 for the last three. Just like I thought she got a 2, guessed higher, and it would turn out the right number was a 1. It was heartbreaking.
Now you can buy groceries by the case at www.meijer.com and Remember "The power of the price compels you!"

"Heal the world we live in, save it for our children" - Michael Jackson 1958-2009 Rest In Peace

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2006, 03:20:41 PM »
There was a Range Game playing sometime in I think mid season 32 where the bottom of the contestant's $150 range was only ONE dollar more than the actual price of the prize.

I also remember an early season 33 Dice Game where the contestant rolled a 5 for the last number of the car, said lower, and the digit turned out to be a 6.

Offline David Frangioso

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2006, 10:36:27 AM »
The most painful loss I've ever seen was on episode 5,001.
The contestant had 20 in Hit Me and then the house beat the contestant with 21 total.
And, of course, the double overbid at the end of that episode. The runner-up bid $12,700. Her showcase was $12,600. Over by $100. Doggone it!

Offline tpiradam

• 11/13/18
  • TPiR Alumnus
    • http://adamb.one-dollar.us
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2006, 05:19:41 PM »
Feb. 6/06 Episode, a guy was $53 over his showcase

Offline jwatson2973

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2006, 05:26:31 PM »
A playing of Dice game when a contestant rolls a two and it turns out to be one, or rolls a five and turns out to be six. Those always are tough losses.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2006, 07:12:55 PM »
jwatson2973 wrote:  A playing of Dice game when a contestant rolls a two and it turns out to be one, or rolls a five and turns out to be six. Those always are tough losses.

...except when it happens on the second number and it's totally freakin' obvious that the contestant should have gone the other way.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline OldPrice75

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2006, 08:13:39 PM »
I'm having a bit of trouble getting the quote to work.  Anyway, there have been a couple of $1 overbids.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Director
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2006, 08:39:57 PM »
You pretty much have to do quoting manually.

Offline edmojautis

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2006, 09:01:20 PM »
I have a 1983 ep. where a Lucky Seven contestant guessed the first three numbers correctly and with one number to go and all seven dollars in her hand, She guessed that the last number was a 0 and it turned out to be an 8. Painful loss!! :cry:  :cry:

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Director
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2006, 09:11:53 PM »
edmojautis wrote:  I have a 1983 ep. where a Lucky Seven contestant guessed the first three numbers correctly and with one number to go and all seven dollars in her hand, She guessed that the last number was a 0 and it turned out to be an 8. Painful loss!! :-(  :-(

That's not painful.  That's just stupid.

Offline CCYoshi

• Outside in Line
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2006, 09:43:57 AM »
Excuse me for having a short memory, but here's my two from the last week or so:

Painful for the player: Michelle taking the prizes and having the car right in Temptation (I guess that's not a full loss, and she got DQ'd, but still...). Oh, and the one time I see Triple Play (last Friday), the guy gets it wrong on the 3rd car - that always hurts.

Painful to watch: That one lady last week who took all the time in Bonkers to make ONE guess. ><

(*cough* first post yay!)

Offline PIR85

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2006, 10:50:53 AM »

I have a 1983 ep. where a Lucky Seven contestant guessed the first three numbers correctly and with one number to go and all seven dollars in her hand, She guessed that the last number was a 0 and it turned out to be an 8. Painful loss!!  

That's not painful. That's just stupid.

No I'd say it's very painful -- you thought you had almost a sure thing until you lose it all on one digit!

Offline Mallory16

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Icon by Gemma Moody
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2006, 10:53:31 AM »
I have to agree with Steve that the Lucky $even situation is not painful, but stupid.  If the contestant had only picked 5, then s/he would have won no matter what the number was.  The contestant lost because s/he played badly, simple as that.  Not a painful loss.  Just a stupid one.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Director
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2006, 11:00:34 AM »
PIR85 wrote:  No I'd say it's very painful -- you thought you had almost a sure thing until you lose it all on one digit!

And you'd be completely wrong.  It was entirely her own fault and entirely preventable, and as such, extremely stupid.