Author Topic: What was the most painful loss you saw on TPIR?  (Read 14894 times)

Offline Geoffrey Weagraff

• Walking the Golden Road
Re: What was the most painful loss you saw on TPIR?
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2006, 12:58:49 AM »
I remember once a few years back, on 5 Price Tags, somebody didn't get any of the products right, and didn't win any price tags, so she couldn't even play the game! I remember Bob saying it was the first time it had happened in 29 years. And there was another similar moment a few months ago on Master Key where the contestant didn't win either key, so she couldn't win any of the prizes.

Offline Madonna

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2006, 06:26:11 AM »
I must also chime in in agreement with Steve.. That Lucky Seven loss was just plain stupid, but the exact same reason Frank give - that SHOULD'VE been an automatic win.. Instead, they threw it away by picking a 0.
In loving and eternal memory of a truly beautiful goddess.

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2006, 03:03:41 PM »
Another painful loss was a season 29 playing of Golden Road for a $86,290 Viper GTS coupe.  The old lady had to pick from 2, 1, 4, or 3 as the third number in the price.  She said three, when it was two.  She nearly fainted, very painful.
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline Ferdy9338

• In the Audience
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2006, 05:29:28 AM »
I seem to recall years ago somebody also whiffing Hole in One from the closest line after it became Hole in One or Two.

Then there's Katelyn blowing Triple Play on the last MDS because she listened to the crowd and changed her correct choice to the wrong one (you can also look at that as a painful/stupid hybrid). For a split second she had a look on her face like she was going to show the audience her Ron Artest impression and dive in swinging, LOL. In the end, she still cleaned the Dob out on the showcases (and almost stopped him cold with a DSW) so it wasn't so bad.

And then there was a $1 showcase overbid last year, I believe the guy bid $18,000 and the ARP was $17,999. And the other contestant had already overbid on their showcase as well, so it was a double overbid  :-(  I actually groaned in pain, and Bob used his best painful voice to reel off the "Nine Ninety-nine". OUCH!

Offline Ferdy9338

• In the Audience
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2006, 05:35:06 AM »
I have a 1983 ep. where a Lucky Seven contestant guessed the first three numbers correctly and with one number to go and all seven dollars in her hand, She guessed that the last number was a 0 and it turned out to be an 8. Painful loss!!

That definitley can be a painful/stupid hybrid, leaning more towards stupid because of the poor picking strategy she used for the last number. She should've gone for a 4 or a 5. But after she got the first three right...that must've definitley been painful to watch! (Maybe she got overconfident?)

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2006, 08:11:35 AM »
Ferdy9338 wrote:  That definitley can be a painful/stupid hybrid,

I'm sure it was painful for the contestant...but for anyone with any semblence of a clue as to how to play the game, it was just stupid.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2006, 05:29:28 PM »
by Ferdy9338 on 2006/5/12 5:29:28
And then there was a $1 showcase overbid last year, I believe the guy bid $18,000 and the ARP was $17,999. And the other contestant had already overbid on their showcase as well, so it was a double overbid

Actually, the contestant bid $12,000 and the showcase was $11,999.  It was a train depot showcase IIRC.

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2006, 01:40:44 AM »
by edmojautis on 2006/5/9 21:01:20

I have a 1983 ep. where a Lucky Seven contestant guessed the first three numbers correctly and with one number to go and all seven dollars in her hand, She guessed that the last number was a 0 and it turned out to be an 8. Painful loss!!  

That's dumb. I mean, why couldn't they have 8 be 2 numbers away from 0? I guess that's why they don't use 0's in that game much.

Offline temptation1979ga

• Double Showcase Winner
    • The Price is Right episode trading
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2006, 01:50:59 AM »
Because 8 isn't 2 numbers away from zero. Zero comes before 1, not after 9.  I know you know that, but it wouldn't make much sense to have a contestant guess 8, the number be 0, and the contestant be 2 away. So if they guess 2 and the number is 0, are they still 2 away?  Just makes sense to keep them in chronological order...although I remember someone guessing 7 once, and Bob saying "8,9,0, you're 3 away and you win!"  But that was just the one time.

Offline Mallory16

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Icon by Gemma Moody
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2006, 02:11:15 AM »
ssetta wrote:  That's dumb. I mean, why couldn't they have 8 be 2 numbers away from 0?

Or better yet, why couldn't the contestant have just guessed 5 and guaranteed a win :-P?  I fail to see why it's dumb to not award a contestant a win for doing something stupid.

Offline tpiradam

• 11/13/18
  • TPiR Alumnus
    • http://adamb.one-dollar.us
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2006, 10:33:16 AM »
On the Feb. 6 episode (the same one as the $53 overbid), a contestant was playing Secret X and didn't get a single prize right.

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2006, 02:39:35 PM »
I really can't say that is painful. Secret "X" usually has a wipeout once a season.  

No, painful would be a contestant losing Grocery Game with a total of $21.01...and I believe that actually happend once!
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won

« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2006, 10:33:38 PM »
On the Feb. 6 episode (the same one as the $53 overbid), a contestant was playing Secret X and didn't get a single prize right.
A very similar thing happened in early March (I think it was) on a Master Key playing. The woman didn't get either of the 2 small prizes right, and so she didn't win any keys.

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2006, 05:03:07 PM »

Me, myself and I wrote:
No, painful would be a contestant losing Grocery Game with a total of $21.01...and I believe that actually happend once!

Well, I just saw a Dennis James NPiR from 1977 in which a contestant lost Grocery Game under the old $6.75-$7.00 rule. She used all five grocery items...and had a final total of $6.74!!! :-o
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won