Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 10/18/2007  (Read 26442 times)

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 10/18/2007
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2007, 09:14:05 PM »
I'm starting to warm up to the new titles, although I would prefer that they would be in color and not in black.

We got to see the person holding up the cue cards for the first four contestants in the opening sequence, cool!

I wonder why Michael bid $6,500 on a little motorscooter; I'm glad Drew corrected Genevieve on her bid from $8,000 to $800.

I also noticed Rich's podium now has a blue curtain over it, which I find interesting.

Yay, my favorite car cue makes its debut this season-Car Cue '83 (or, as Frank called it, The Spelling Bee cue).

For the first time this season it's Temptation-The New $ale of the Century! :-P

I wonder why an Aveo was offered since Temptation is usually played for more expensive vehicles.  This feels like how a $13,000+ Chevrolet Cobalt was offered in Ten Chances last season.  I don't know why John made the third number in the price a zero, as that looked so out of place.  The audience was really excited about those gifts today.  I also am relieved to have the music played during Temptation intact. 

Wow, the new design on the Clam looks awesome.  This marks the return of the Pricedown font to that prop after a 23-year absence, and I have to say this is the best exterior design ever!

"Nazi submarine!"-I laughed when Drew said that about the first overbid in the bidding round this season.

Wow, the first $11,000 on the Big Wheel this season, I should note that I am starting to warm up to the Pricedown font for some of the show's money wins.

The fourth item up for bids' backdrop, carpet, and border blended in with door #3 a little too much.

Ernestine was pretty unsure of herself in Push Over and I thought it would have taken quite a while for her to make up her mind.  It's pretty cool that we saw Brandi in her own window while the images of Scotland were presented.  The blocks falling into the box were more noisy than usual and there was no velcro on the reveal flap for some reason.

This is ½ Off's first time being played in the fifth slot and the third time in the game's history it has been played in the second half, the other two times were on March 23, 2005 and January 12, 2007, where it was played fourth.

I think the $500 for guessing correctly which prize is marked half off was added as a consolation for losing contestants.  The win/loss rate of ½ Off is pretty low, so the producers probably wanted contestants to leave with some cash in their pockets in addition to the small prizes.  Drew was incorrect when he said that trying to pick the right box out of 16 was "unfair."  It is impossible to find the money with all boxes in play, but it's certainly not unfair.

I thank the art department for not messing with the ½ Off $10,000 graphic font, great to see Nina win. 

I personally did not like how That's Too Much started without a shot of the whole prop first.  I think it leaves the game without characer to have Drew not rehearse how to say "That's Too Much!"  The new losing horns reminded me of a bust on the 1986 version of Card Sharks.  Drew went through the game faster than Bob would have ever done.

I wasn't expecting that Dodge Charger in that random room showcase.  Unfortunately Tamesha's bid only covered the cost of the car.

Interesting to see Ernestine, Drew, the models, and Rich clap to the theme at the end, I wonder if it will be permanent?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 09:35:45 PM by goldroadfanatic »
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline shellgame69

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2007, 09:17:13 PM »
1RP: I figured $3938 was on the Clock.

Tempt: I knew John lost the second he said zero as the 3rd number and went for the car. :?

Pick a pair: I knew the yams and the sauce match up.

PO: I thought It was 4900.  Shows me how much I know. :?

Half Off: I, too, don't like $500 rule for nailing every pair.  I think it should still be all or nothing. :?  Great win, nonetheless.

TTM: I knew Norma lost the second she quit at $18K.

SC2: :gotc:  22K is too low for the charger.

Offline 3StrikesFan

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2007, 09:42:44 PM »
I don't like the new Half Off bonuses.  Too excessive.  I could maybe see a single $500 bonus for getting all three sets of prizes right, but $500 for each pair seems completely overboard.

I couldn't agree more Frank! Rich should say that contestnts have a chance to win $11,500 instead of $10,000 because now that's the most they could win in the game. The whole $500 bonus after each small prize is just pointless. Maybe they'll start doing it for every punch won in Punchboard or for every chip won on Plinko!  ;-)

I love the new clam!  That may possibly be the best clam the show's ever had.  At least that I can think of off-hand.

I love the new clam too! I may be in the minority on this but, I wish the new design for the clam was the design for the big doors. To me, it looks better than the pattern they have on them now!

Offline heelsrule1988

• Double Showcase Winner
    • My Deal or No Deal recaps
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2007, 10:11:05 PM »
Like the $500 bonus thing, too! :-D
You're certainly in the minority there.

Offline mhrasputin

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2007, 11:03:48 PM »
goldroadfanatic said:
I personally did not like how That's Too Much started without a shot of the whole prop first.  I think it leaves the game without characer to have Drew not rehearse how to say "That's Too Much!"  The new losing horns reminded me of a bust on the 1986 version of Card Sharks.  Drew went through the game faster than Bob would have ever done.

You read my thoughts on the losing horns it reminded me of the Bob Eubanks Card Sharks, the one thing I will miss on the losing horns is the long drone at the end. I still have my 1975 losing horns and use it for football games when a kicker misses a field goal. :-)
[/quote]

Offline Franc

• Double Showcase Winner
    • Let Me Be Franc!
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2007, 11:18:27 PM »
Well, I won't go into details about the show (cuz everyone pretty much covered everything! ;) ) But here's what I thought of it :

- Drew really impresses me at how to explain the games, and how to play them as well.
- I loved how Drew makes a fun little joke with the supply of something with the Item Up For Bid. But I thought there were too much of those today (like what, 3 or 4)! Once a day would be fine, but more, you might kill the joke.
- Love the new losing horn. I've just listened to them 2x with my headphones. The tuba part is the same, but kinda continues along with the trumpet. It ends with a little drum roll. Works a lot!
- I watched the end credits on Innertube, so it's possible this hasn't been seen on the air. But ... Is it gonna be a new thing, now, the audience clapping along with the song? It sounds nice, but I'm not too sure. Let's just hope it doesn't turn too much Family Feud-ish.
- Not sure if it was covered already, but watching the show again made me realise something. When Norma got on stage, here's the conversation that ensued (it's not word for word, but you'll get the gist) :

Drew : Here is your $500 bonus
Norma: This is too much!
Drew : Well, funny you should say that! Rich, tell her why!

The throw would've worked if the game was shown first, but yeah, she did play That's Too Much. I think Drew got confused on that one ... But still, it's good to see that he picked up on it. It could work for other things!

That is all!

Offline some734guy

• In the Audience
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2007, 11:37:29 PM »
My only reaction to this episode so far, and it came very early on.

Ahem.

$6500?!!??!

Offline edmojautis

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2007, 12:10:37 AM »
Opening Spiel: Looks very good in black, but I still prefer it in blue.

The wide shot of the stage after Drew came out looked AWESOME.

IUFB #1:  :-o :-o :-oWHAT THE HECK?!

1RP: Nice win.

Temptation: When he chose 0 for the third number, I feared it would be lost.

P-A-P: Very nice.

SCSD #1: WOW!!! 1st $10K win of the season. What a week!!

Push: I wasn't quite sure about 7449, but it proved victorious.

1/2 Off: The addition of the $500 bonus is fairly well. A guarantee that you get some money even if you lose. Impressive win.

TTM: Stopped too soon.

Showcases: Phire was very funny in that showcase skit. Too bad Ernestine garfed on the Dodge Charger showcase.

A 3.5 star-show.

Offline JokerFan

• Retro Recap Guide
« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2007, 12:23:31 AM »
I couldn't agree more Frank! Rich should say that contestnts have a chance to win $11,500 instead of $10,000 because now that's the most they could win in the game.
However, Rich doesn't say that the contestant can win $10,900 in Punch-a-bunch, even though that is the most a contestant can win.  The same idea applies to 1/2 Off.

Offline Train

• In Contestant's Row
TTM and Showcase
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2007, 12:40:55 AM »
That Too Much rears its ugly head and claims its first loser.

Showcase round has a pleasant surprise: Car at the end of the furniture showcase.  Obviously the car and the trip switched places.

Train

Offline Richie

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2007, 12:42:01 AM »

Showcases: Phire was very funny in that showcase skit. Too bad Ernestine garfed on the Dodge Charger showcase.

Edmojautis, Ernestine won her showcase.  Tamesha garfed on the Dodge Charger showcase.

Offline Mallory16

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Icon by Gemma Moody
« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2007, 12:43:44 AM »
Quote from: Train
Showcase round has a pleasant surprise: Car at the end of the furniture showcase.  Obviously the car and the trip switched places.

You make it sound like Roger does things like this by accident.  He doesn't.  The car was at the end of the furniture showcase because Roger wanted it there.

Quote from: JokerFan
However, Rich doesn't say that the contestant can win $10,900 in Punch-a-bunch, even though that is the most a contestant can win.  The same idea applies to 1/2 Off.

Hardly.  No one has yet to win $10,900 in Punch a Bunch, and it's extremely unlikely anyone ever will.  For that matter, winning over $10,000 has only happened like, what, three or so times in the show's history?  Basically, it's a very, very rare occurance.

This won't be.  Almost every contestant who wins is going to win more than $10,000.  Most will win $11,000 or $11,500.  Heck, winning only $10,000 is now extremely difficult, since the only possible way to do so is to get all three prize couplings wrong, and then miraculously pick out the one box in sixteen with the $10,000.  So no, not the same thing at all.

Offline ClockGameJohn

• TPiR Alumnus &
  • Executive Producer
« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2007, 12:55:08 AM »
This won't be.  Almost every contestant who wins is going to win more than $10,000.  Most will win $11,000 or $11,500.  Heck, winning only $10,000 is now extremely difficult, since the only possible way to do so is to get all three prize couplings wrong, and then miraculously pick out the one box in sixteen with the $10,000.  So no, not the same thing at all.

"Tell him what he can win, Rich:"

"A lovely table with sidechairs, an exquisite grandfather clock, a fun new soda fountain, a comfy sofa...and up to $3,000 in cash!"

Step Up!

Difference?
John

Offline Mallory16

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Icon by Gemma Moody
« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2007, 01:01:53 AM »
Um... err... well... OK, I can't argue Step Up.  Don't suppose I can just use the excuse that Step Up's been like that from day one, where Half Off just started now?  Guess not.

Offline tpirfan165

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2007, 01:11:47 AM »
goldroadfanatic said:

You read my thoughts on the losing horns it reminded me of the Bob Eubanks Card Sharks, the one thing I will miss on the losing horns is the long drone at the end. I still have my 1975 losing horns and use it for football games when a kicker misses a field goal. :-)

same here as well.....as far as the the losing horns go, i seem to remember maybe ONE time last season when the LH's were missing the long groan at the end......i think it was when a contestant lost BALANCE GAME ( can't wait to see that game again ;) )
< loves it when Drew Carey attempts to make an inspiration putt, and when it misses the hole, he just does a little second putt with the ball to sink it

( as was in his 500th show) ROFL!!!