Author Topic: Check Game being considered for retirement?  (Read 6622 times)

Offline The_Great_Butler

• Double Showcase Winner
Check Game being considered for retirement?
« on: October 29, 2007, 10:45:32 PM »
Yeah, yeah, I know, I'm probably just shooting my mouth off. But still... Check Game was played fairly often last year,  and it hasn't been played once under Drew's custody. That, coupled with the fact that it was always hard for the contestants to understand AND the fact there's a new host, makes me a bit nervous for its survival.

I guess all I'm asking for is some verification that Check Game is still alive and well...
I'll put this in here, but I didn't want it to overshadow the more interesting topic of specials. Earlier in the show Mike and Beth talked about Jenny McCarthy's appointment to The View and it leads to Mike talking about her appearance on Price. Mike says that he and the staff mulled over whether or not to have her on the show because of the controversy that follows her. They ultimately decided to have her because she's "a great advocate for what she believes in." Now, Mike didn't specify exactly what he meant by "what she believes in" and what "belief" of her's that he's addressing, but that could certainly be taken the wrong way.

Offline Voltron291

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Re: Check Game being considered for retirement?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2007, 10:47:29 PM »
Based on what I know, Check Game is still alive and well, and has not been retired.  However, we won't be seeing it for a little while...

Offline Marc

• Executive Producer
    • Golden Road
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2007, 10:47:36 PM »
Verified, without question.

Offline The_Great_Butler

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2007, 10:49:02 PM »
Thank you for the swift response :)
I'll put this in here, but I didn't want it to overshadow the more interesting topic of specials. Earlier in the show Mike and Beth talked about Jenny McCarthy's appointment to The View and it leads to Mike talking about her appearance on Price. Mike says that he and the staff mulled over whether or not to have her on the show because of the controversy that follows her. They ultimately decided to have her because she's "a great advocate for what she believes in." Now, Mike didn't specify exactly what he meant by "what she believes in" and what "belief" of her's that he's addressing, but that could certainly be taken the wrong way.

Online actual_retail_tice

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2007, 11:01:58 PM »
Many of the games are not being played at the moment; for these first several weeks, the 34 games we have seen so far  for plus a 35th that hasn't been aired yet are going to be it for a while. For his first few weeks, Drew did multiple tapings using the same 7 pricing games, these tapings are being aired in a different order so that gamnes aren't repeating within a week. More games will be added as Drew learns them--Steve mentioned in another thread that Drew is currently up to 43 games, but you won't be seeing the latest eight for another several weeks.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2007, 11:58:34 PM »
Steve mentioned in another thread that Drew is currently up to 43 games, but you won't be seeing the latest eight for another several weeks.

You'd think that, wouldn't you?  But no.  Thanks to the goofy scheduling, we're actually going to see three of those shows by the end of next week.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Online actual_retail_tice

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2007, 12:11:15 AM »
Oh...well, shows how much I know. Looking forward to seeing a few more games in the mix, at any rate.

Offline stormy41992

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I'll Miss You Bob!
    • TV & Game Shows
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2007, 11:50:36 AM »
with Drew having to learn all the pricing games, you'll see the same ones for quite some time. i predict that, and the tapings to be back to normal early next year. ;)
STORMY'S STATS FOR HIS 2ND SEASON OF CSS: [Wins: 0] [Top 10/5 Finishes: 3/1] [DSWs: 0] [Overbids/WSDs: 0/0] [Lowest SC Difference: $857] [Games Played: 6] [Current No-OVER Streak: 6]
SCORE OF THE FIRST EVER "FRIENDLY" RIVALRY: Stormy41992 - 2////cu2010 - 2

Offline Season36Fan

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2007, 02:27:49 PM »
drew hs said in several interviews that he is learning abou 7 games a week (when taping).  its probably also safe to assume that some of the least played games (not all of course) might be saved for last.
Let's all take a deep breath.
Wise words.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Director
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2007, 05:17:56 PM »
with Drew having to learn all the pricing games, you'll see the same ones for quite some time.

Or not.

Offline mmarlin

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2008, 08:23:17 PM »
Well, PC was an easy one that should have been one of his first IMHO

More Or Less seems like a no brainer, so maybe he'll learn it? Or did they kick it to the curb?

Online sideshowPA

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2008, 08:27:43 PM »
Well, PC was an easy one that should have been one of his first IMHO

More Or Less seems like a no brainer, so maybe he'll learn it? Or did they kick it to the curb?

1.  PC (it took me a while to even figure out what PC was) is hardly an easy game to explain.  In fact, I think it might have some of the most convoluted rules on the show.
2.  Why did you find it necessary to bump this thread up, anyway?
"I don't want to hear disorganized beeping." - Bob Barker

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Director
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2008, 09:16:10 PM »
There's only one game that might get retired this year, and More or Less isn't it.

Offline PIR85

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2008, 09:20:40 PM »
C'mon Steve... don't just leave it at that.  Elaborate, please.

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2008, 09:34:45 PM »
Well, ClockGameJohn has alluded to Barker's Marker$ either getting retired or being renamed in another thread.
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."