Author Topic: Crowther TPIR Opening (1986)  (Read 7463 times)

Offline tpirfan28

• Double Showcase Winner
Crowther TPIR Opening (1986)
« on: November 11, 2007, 06:41:43 PM »
I donno how rare or interesting this is, but here's an opening plus calldown to a Leslie Crowther TPIR...the poster says it's the second show from the 1986 series.  Leslie looks very different from other shots I've seen before.

Link

They can be close at the top, too.
#42SP

Offline RobertSearcy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Re: Crowther TPIR Opening (1986)
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2007, 07:06:11 PM »
Hmmmm......very interesting find.

I wish someone would upload some Crowther episodes to YouTube.  I've seen Bob Warman's version (and was shocked at first when I heard the familiar come on down and main themes) and thought it was ok.

Offline Master Shake

• In the Audience
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2007, 07:11:49 PM »
I never saw Bob Warman's episodes when they aired on Sky (satellite was brand new to the UK, VERY expensive, and we were poor :D) but have since seen bits on YouTube.  From what I can recall comparing the Warman version to the Crowther version, Warman is a lot more similar to the US version, even though it was only 30 minutes.

I don't remember a lot about the Crowther version, unfortunately, (aside from how glitzy it was) but I do remember that I used to love it as a kid.  Shame the British TV regs were so tight the prizes were so poor compared to the US version.

Offline Patchy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2007, 07:38:18 PM »
My head is cold I knew I should not of shaved my head  :lol:

Anyway back on topic.....

Personally I would never compare Warman or Crowther they are different audiences SKY being people expecting American raz-ma-taz and Central TV being cheap and campy and has exciting as possible.

I cant believe only two years ago, no known Warman's existed on tape, now I have 4!

Offline bhvictory

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2007, 06:25:56 AM »
I never saw Bob Warman's episodes when they aired on Sky (satellite was brand new to the UK, VERY expensive, and we were poor :D) but have since seen bits on YouTube.  From what I can recall comparing the Warman version to the Crowther version, Warman is a lot more similar to the US version, even though it was only 30 minutes.

I don't remember a lot about the Crowther version, unfortunately, (aside from how glitzy it was) but I do remember that I used to love it as a kid.  Shame the British TV regs were so tight the prizes were so poor compared to the US version.

Leslie Crowther was a true class act in every sense of the word.  A real master at hosting this series.  Nobody in the UK since has ever handled that show with as much enthusiasm and professionalism as he did and I don't think they will ever top his ratings either.  Like Bob Monkhouse, he had Mr Gameshow written all over him!   Although we did everything the other way round to the US.  The UK Price is Right started of at 1hr and later went to 30min, whereas in the US...   :biggrin: :oldlol:
« Last Edit: November 12, 2007, 06:27:52 AM by bhvictory »

Offline Reloaden

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 12:44:26 AM »
God seems like the British game show hosts back then are better then the current ones.

I likee how they have the Leslie do the come on down bit. And Leslie don't have a British accent he could work in the usa if he was still alive.

I hope they bring back uk price is right with Joe.

Offline bhvictory

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007, 05:56:43 AM »
God seems like the British game show hosts back then are better then the current ones.

I likee how they have the Leslie do the come on down bit. And Leslie don't have a British accent he could work in the usa if he was still alive.

I hope they bring back uk price is right with Joe.

The Price is Right (Leslie Crowther era, 1984-1988) is regarded by many as the finest gameshow ever screened on British TV.  Even with Bruce hosting it was never really the same.  And you're right about game show hosts back then, they were true entertainers who could actually entertain and showed great respect to their contestants.  Not like today - arrogant Simon Cowell... mmm...  need I say more!!!

Offline Franc

• Double Showcase Winner
    • Let Me Be Franc!
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2007, 07:55:52 AM »
Wow, it's incredible how the actual Come On Down music is very very close to the Family Feud theme. I know that the actual Family Feud theme was used on the American show, I just mean how closely it resembles it! The effect is very nice...

Offline Patchy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2007, 02:47:55 PM »

And Leslie don't have a British accent he could work in the usa if he was still alive.

There is no such thing has a British accent.

Wow, it's incredible how the actual Come On Down music is very very close to the Family Feud theme. I know that the actual Family Feud theme was used on the American show, I just mean how closely it resembles it! The effect is very nice...

Your correct its actually part of the Family Feud theme, just without the western arrangement, I do not find it very incredible myself, probably due to the fact all the Goodson themes of the time were recorded in the UK right, and I'm sure they loaned them the US Price is Right arrangements and a few others, and that's the only one they chose to use.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 02:50:18 PM by Patchy »

Offline Reloaden

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2007, 07:20:49 PM »
Leslie Crowther was a true class act in every sense of the word.  A real master at hosting this series.  Nobody in the UK since has ever handled that show with as much enthusiasm and professionalism as he did and I don't think they will ever top his ratings either.  Like Bob Monkhouse, he had Mr Gameshow written all over him!   Although we did everything the other way round to the US.  The UK Price is Right started of at 1hr and later went to 30min, whereas in the US...   :biggrin: :oldlol:

They need to ban Vernon kay from hosting gameshows

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2007, 09:47:05 PM »
There is no such thing has a British accent.

There is to an American.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline bhvictory

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2007, 10:50:26 AM »
They need to ban Vernon kay from hosting gameshows

I take it you've seen him doing Family Fortunes then?

I don't think he's too bad myself, although I admit he's no Leslie Crowther or Bob Monkhouse.  He's not been doing gameshows for very long so he's taking his time to get established.

Offline Reloaden

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2007, 12:53:59 AM »
I take it you've seen him doing Family Fortunes then?

I don't think he's too bad myself, although I admit he's no Leslie Crowther or Bob Monkhouse.  He's not been doing gameshows for very long so he's taking his time to get established.

i saw a ep and turn it off after the first 10 mins. I seen Rookie game show hosts that do a good job and they wasn't as annoying as him. Yelling survey says after the contestant gives an answer is annoying and coudnt stop looking at cue cards. Our Richard Karn runs circles around him

Is his version of family fortunes a hit?