Author Topic: scariest game show music cue  (Read 9621 times)

Offline DRPrice

• In Contestant's Row
Re: scariest game show music cue
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2008, 06:05:12 PM »
Good to see I'm not the only one who hated Family Feud's strike buzzer (I still hate it today, believe it or not).

Offline Rosequartz2000

• Outside in Line
  • showcase showdown
    • My blog?
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2018, 01:58:28 PM »
Did any ever make you cringe in fright when you were younger?  I was always bit unnerved by the "puzzle starting up" humming seen in both the main and end games on Scrabble, which sounded ominous like you can't believe, particularly if it was the bonus road and you knew in your heart the clock would end up back at zero before the game ended (the equally alien sound effect used to open the door to the gameboard in the main game wasn't for the faint of heart either).
I loved both of those sounds.
If there's anything that would fit into this category for me, it would probably be the dragon in the Tic Tac Dough bonus round.  For some reason, I thought the TTD theme sounded really weird too.
Again, loved both of them.
Takes a lot of courage to admit something like this, so if you all can be this brave....

For me it was THE JOKER'S WILD JOKER JACKPOT win cue (known to some as "The Russian Circus").  It reminded me a little too much of a piece of crazy production music that seemed to be everywhere in the 1970's and 1980's from SESAME STREET to the final jungle scene in "The Bad Luck Eye of the Little Yellow god" episode of DANGER MOUSE (when DM tries to return the eye to the natives...again and agan).  I have since gotten to be OK with the JACKPOT cue, but I still hate that other piece!
I remember that Danger Mouse episode. I seem to remember the music played at the sequence being the music playing when Mr. Krabs won his one millionth dollar in the fishing episode of SpongeBob. But from what I've read, that WAS the same piece playing on The Joker's Wild, however I only remember it being the "one millionth dollar" music on Danger Mouse. Those two are separate pieces.
Just thought of a SFX I wasn't crazy about.  The Disney Channel's CONTRAPTION (remember that?) had a buzzer that sounded like a duck being strangled.  Then again, the whole music and effects package was really childish (and you should have seen what the assistants had to wear!).
Ah, I do! That was funny! (Whoah, Jesus! This thread is old.)
"And the survey says... whoops, I made a mistake."

Offline whowouldeverhurtawhammy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
    • My Booksie page
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2018, 02:13:59 PM »
Once, when I was an infant, I was actually scared of the TPIR losing horns.
(to the tune of Sailor Moon)
Guessing prices by moonlight, winning cars by day light, never losing to a real fight, I am the one named...WHAAAAT?!?!

Offline whowouldeverhurtawhammy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
    • My Booksie page
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2018, 02:15:39 PM »
Good to see I'm not the only one who hated Family Feud's strike buzzer (I still hate it today, believe it or not).

Oddly enough as a kid, I actually got scared of those and the Card Sharks buzzer that I had to mute the volume during the show...combined with my infamous fear of the losing horns, I sometimes muted during the Money Cards... XD
(to the tune of Sailor Moon)
Guessing prices by moonlight, winning cars by day light, never losing to a real fight, I am the one named...WHAAAAT?!?!

Offline RJSchex

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2018, 07:55:54 PM »
For me, it was the fee/car plug cue from Gambit.

Offline Rosequartz2000

• Outside in Line
  • showcase showdown
    • My blog?
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2018, 09:21:12 PM »
For me, it was the fee/car plug cue from Gambit.
...But why?
"And the survey says... whoops, I made a mistake."

Offline Yuuki96

• Outside in Line
    • My Blog
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2021, 11:24:13 AM »
Sorry to bump an old thread, but since my friend Martha replied to it, I thought I could keep the thread alive. If there's a newer thread, link me to its direction.

I always got chills from the "ALIVE!!" and heartbeat when the skull was returned to the king in Legends of the Hidden Temple, the Time's Up horn from Millionaire, and the Terminator SFX on Greed. And while it didn't scare me per se, I wasn't a fan of the Cliffhangers yodeling. It always felt odd to me. Well, at least until I saw Toy Story 2 in fifth grade and subsequently equated all yodeling with Jessie.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Director
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2021, 04:49:25 PM »
Sorry to bump an old thread, but since my friend Martha replied to it, I thought I could keep the thread alive.

You thought wrongly.

It's honestly pretty harmless in this case, but seriously, don't do this.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.