Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 06/22/2006  (Read 26107 times)

Offline BRB_TheFireball

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A Man Without A Forum
    • The Fireball on Golden-Road.net
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 06/22/2006
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2006, 05:41:02 PM »
PG #1 - 2007 Focus?  I think that's the first 2007 car offered on this show.  And a nice win to boot!  $18,794 was definitely not the easiest of prices in this game, but she had it locked up once $18,7x4 was lit up.

PG #2 - WOW!  Another win from Step 25!  Was this the second or third time this season that this game was won on Step 25?  I'll bet Roger wasn't counting on this game to be won today with the first prize being $12, then the second prize jumping way up to $36, then the last prize being only $4 higher.

PG #3 - Yay!  Step Up!  :-P  With Starcrossed!  :-D  :-D  :-D  Ouch, that was one cheap dinette set!  I also thought that dinette was more than the bike.  Taking the cookware first would've been irrelevant cuz I guarantee that Rommel would still have played on.  Roger finally got his loss for the day.

PG #4 - Man, it seems like forever since Pappy was last won!  :-P

One-Bid #5 - A 90-year-old contestant... and Bob didn't say he was glad to have a contestant who is older than he is?  Very unusual...

PG #5 - *Stephen pulls the $1,000 card*  It's gonna be another loss!  Get your rewind buttons ready!  Have I mentioned yet how much I'm sick and tired of contestants bidding under $17,000 in this game?

One-Bid #6 - I don't think I've ever seen a contestant more ready and more confident after a one-bid round than Hilda.

Last commercial - "SHOOT THE TVs!"

My showcase bids - Car:  $26,400.  Son of Splendido:  $15,800.

Joe_Mello wrote:
You know, this lineup would've made sense if you flipped it upside-down, too.

Step Up in the 4 slot is a little too strange for me.  Then again, for me, any time Step Up is played in a slot other than first, it's strange.  :-P
Well, this week was supposed to be a return to normalcy, but that's clearly not allowed.  Since you feel there is no need for this week's FPG to continue, I feel there is no need to continue as an FPG host or a G-R.net member.  Since most people are so desperate to push me out of here, why delay it?  I would have preferred that everybody publicly admitted it rather than string me along for the last two days, but it is what it is.  I am hereby resigning as FPG host and moderator, effective immediately.  whammy007 is the new permanent host.  No R-rated rant or airing of grievances from me.  Just a polite "goodbye for good".

--Fireball to Chelsea, 1/15/16

Offline pathfinder2119

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Me immortalized as a South Park character
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2006, 06:20:39 PM »
Today's show was quite enjoyable, because of good contestants.

The Cliff Hangers win was very exciting.

Step Up was pretty hard, because the dinette was cheaper than it looked. I've never seen a contestant want a dinette set as much as Rummel, so it's too bad he lost.

Even with only a $1000 card, I think Stephen still stopped too early.

Hilda did some interesting things, that's for sure, and she was a great contestant overall.

Offline ElCheapo

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2006, 06:21:28 PM »
Cover-Up: Nola was just excitable. I'm glad she won her car!

Cliff Hangers: I love it when Hans stops on the $25, for some reason!

Step-Up: Very tricky. I really wanted him to win the dinette.

Card Game: ...just like I wanted Steven to win the car.  He would've been so happy.  I like when they run around the stage upon the car reveal!

Hilda was a great contestant.  I'm glad she won her game.  I wanted her to win her showcase, but I'm glad Nola won.
"Tise is a Robbobie Kive me A The money before I shote you" - Robbery Note, Headlines (2/12/08)

Offline whinbaby

• Double Showcase Winner
  • No whining!
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2006, 06:29:10 PM »
Show #6410

CarWatch 2007: Ford Focus
On 2007 Ford Foci (not just wagons), paint and fabric protection is still $699.  Below are the nine colors to choose from, and the one the Price is Right has picked is already highlighted.  I didn't do that on 2006 models.  The same colors are used on 2007 Focus 4-door sedans.

Farberware Millennium Cookware
It was never seen on the Price is Right in 2004 or in 2005.  Let's take the ol' Wayback Machine to November 12, 2003, the day it last appeared. The price in 2003 was $612, and it is still $612 in 2006.  Neither Gabrielle Tuite nor Rich Fields were on the show yet on the cookware's last Price is Right appearance.  Claudia Jordan was still on the Price is Right back then.

Showcase #1
Yamaha VStar 650 Classic - $6,173
Beachcomber 320 Hot Tub - $3,495
Chevrolet Malibu LS - $17,680

Showcase #2
Ashley Lambert Oak Living Room and Carpet One* Carpeting (both on their first TPIR appearance) - $3,524
Electrolux Trilobite Robotic Vacuum Cleaner (also on its first TPIR appearance) - $1,799
Max IV 600T ATV - $11,363

*I have a Carpet Master Carpet One in Champaign since the late-1990s.  It used to be a ShowBiz Pizza until 1990 and later "The Outlet" clothing store in the mid-1990s.

Modeling Report for June 22, 2006
Score to beat: $74,872

[color=4B0082]Rachel Reynolds[/color]
Total - $25,687
[color=0000FF]Won - $24,195 (94.19%)[/color]
[color=FF0000]Lost - $1,492 (5.81%)[/color]
Record - 5-2

[color=4B0082]Lanisha Cole[/color]
Total - $62,243
[color=0000FF]Won - $12,472 (20.04%)[/color]
[color=FF0000]Lost - $49,771 (79.96%)[/color]
Record - 8-6

[color=4B0082]Gabrielle Tuite[/color]
Total - $37,246
[color=0000FF]Won - $37,246 (100.00%)[/color]
[color=008000]Lost - $0 (Perfecto!)[/color]
Record - 5-0

...and then, there were nine modeling totals.

All 24 prizes today totaled $114,762!

Offline thewhammy_2000

• Double Showcase Winner
    • The FunDMental Game Show Site
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2006, 11:17:04 PM »
Cover Up: Oh, I was about to laugh if I heard I buzzer for the "Either" question. However, picking 9 instead of 7 would've been my choice to win.

Cliff Hangers: Another close one! I would've said 42 for the drink bottle.

Step Up: It was upsettingly weird that Rummel picked the luggage after conferring with the Peanuts about the cookware. Picking the dining group over the exercise bike added more fuel to the fire. (If the cookware was more than the luggage, which I hope is doubtful, forget what I said before.)

Pick-A-Pair: I was expecting either Secret X or Pick-A-Number here. (If either was played yesterday, I missed it.) I probably would have been a little more pleased if Dee played the game herself.

Card Game: I just want somebody to bid near 20000, overbid or not!.

One-Bid 6: It was almost as if Hilda was afraid to go to the FFBC House. Wonderful!

Push Over: Oh, most of us (or at least me) wanted to find out if Bob would make another "numbers going to China" reference. I wasn't too sure of price picks; so I went for the 0 trick.

Well, Hilda is my best contestant of the day while Stephen makes a good second. Mentions to Rummel for his shirt.
My somewhat popular YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/thewhammy83 for Price, PYL, and other game shows.

Online SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2006, 12:00:29 AM »
Cover Up was nice to watch, although more because it was won than because of any particularly good gameplay.

Cliff Hangers was just incredible.  Given that he gave a sensible bid on that cheap-looking third item, I have to think Joseph knew how to play it a little better than he gave himself credit for.

Step Up was just strange.  I don't think Roger wanted it won, but I can't really figure out why.

It's too bad that Stephen lost Card Game, because despite making a bad bid, I think he was genuinely excited.  The poor guy just had no luck.

Hilda was hilarious.  She probably wouldn't have been if she'd been aware that she pretty over the show...but I don't think she ever was.

Did anyone else get a kick out of Push Over being played for a trip to China?

I wonder if Hilda is the first contestant who's ever had to do a re-spin despite having already won her Showcase Showdown.

I thought it was very nice of Nola to give Hilda the first showcase.

Frank15 wrote:

I was disappointed that neither Master Key nor Spelling Bee was played today. Guess that means we're not ending the season with a week of all five small prize car games played after all. Darn.

Yeah, what you said.

Dexter Felipe Williams wrote:

Did anyone notice that the TV on one of the IUFBs today showed Angela winning $40,853 in cash and prizes?

Push Over: Two words: Crazy Hilda. At least Angela didn't act like this when she won Most Expensive yesterday...that's all I have to say right there. A trip to China sounds oriental and fun, don't you think? ;-)

Card Game: One word: Ouch. I was rooting for Stephen all throughout the show, hoping he'd beat Angela's record, but the loss proved it was never meant to be. $20,000+ for a truck? Nah, I think I'll pass. Nice try, though.

MY SCORE: 7 (Better, but not great) Nola came $4,564 short of breaking Angela's record (Nola also came $24,892 short of beating Rhiannon from Season 31's score). So close! Will tomorrow be the day we see Angela's record get broken? We'll just have to wait and see... -DFW ;-)

...you know, Dexter, I don't think my friend Jesse would like it very much if he knew you had suddenly become this obsessed with his sister.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline Garvin8r

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2006, 12:06:39 AM »
I actually got to see the first two segments before I had to head for work today.  Is it just me, or did today's ep. seem a lot like a college atmosphere.  It doesn't surprise me, based on tape date.

Just an observation: how many times does the contestant try to use the "Southpaw Steps" before either being directed by the page or otherwise realizing they're going up the "wrong" side?  I noticed Nola after the first one-bid start toward the "Southpaw Steps" then immediately turn around and head up the other side.

I saw two great games.  Nola didn't use true Cover-Up strategy but still played the game rather well.  Without a 5 on the board for the last number, the 4 looked right, especially considering there weren't many options announced.(I consider true strategy to intentionally miss one of the first two numbers.)

As far as Cliffhangers, that Football Crock Pot fooled me.  I knew it was under $20, but it surprised me when it came up $12.  Joseph now has a story to tell about his favorite game.

It was at that point I had to leave for work, but even in those 13 minutes I did watch, it seemed a little more lively than some other games I've seen.  Between the standing ovations and the crowd chanting, "Hilda!  Hilda!"  it was fun to watch.  Would have loved to be there (still working on getting to L.A.)

Offline Dexter Felipe Williams

• In the Audience
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2006, 12:22:24 AM »
...you know, Dexter, I don't think my friend Jesse would like it very much if he knew you had suddenly become this obsessed with his sister.

Now THAT'S something you don't see everyday, huh?

Let me clear this up: a "favorite contestant" list to me does not mean that I am obsessed with the contestant; instead, I was intrigued by something that they did on an episode that had me cheering for them, that's all. No hard feelings, but I greatly apologize if this gets way too personal. Don't take this the wrong way--I like to remember contestants for what they do--and definitely NOT for looks. It's the character and  strategy that counts for me. I'm not that interested in knowing names or looks, either. And to be honest, I'll just accept the fact that she won--and won't have to worry when tax day comes. End of story.

Offline Mallory16

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Icon by Gemma Moody
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2006, 12:37:56 AM »
Well Dexter, if you don't mind, could you please stop referring back to Angela in almost every post you make?  Most of them don't even really have anything to do with her:  you just seem to mention her for the sake of mentioning her, and yeah, I could imagine someone getting freaked out by it.

I'm not saying it's never OK to mention Angela, but just do it when appropriate.  Like there's probably going to be some sort of "Best Season 34 Contestant" sort of thread soon.  That would be an appropriate place to tell us how much you liked Angela.  Comparing every single contestant to Angela in every episode... that's freaky.

Also, if I may ask, why do you feel Angela was one of the all-time best contestants, compared to all the hundreds of contestants this season alone?

Online SteveGavazzi

• Director
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2006, 12:47:15 AM »

Let me clear this up: a "favorite contestant" list to me does not mean that I am obsessed with the contestant

And that is not why I brought it up.  I brought it up because you've mentioned her out of the blue a crapload of times over the last two days, and you've also said some...different things about her on your Userpage at Wikipedia.  Especially given that she's from around here and I know her brother, I think you can understand why this would worry me a little bit.

Offline Dexter Felipe Williams

• In the Audience
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2006, 12:55:33 AM »
That I'll do. I'll admit I got a little too carried away there. I'll make sure to find the "Best Season 34 Contestant" thread to avoid comparing a contestant to who I think is a favorite in my opinion.

To be honest, I believe she was a great contestant because she was excited after winning her Showcase (despite the fact her opponent overbid by nearly $290), and not all contestants I see who win their showcases get excited nowadays. They just ignore having a celebration sometimes (as I think they just want to see their prizes). It's the contestant's excitement factor that has me cheering for them. This comparison thing won't happen again, and I'll make pretty darn sure of it--by placing those things in the appropriate thread. End of story. You don't see excited contestants like this everyday. ;-)

And that is not why I brought it up. I brought it up because you've mentioned her out of the blue a crapload of times over the last two days, and you've also said some...different things about her on your Userpage at Wikipedia. Especially given that she's from around here and I know her brother, I think you can understand why this would worry me a little bit.

OK, I clearly understand. I promise--I 100% swear I won't make any more references like this again if this concerns you or anyone else a bit. I dearly apologize if this hurts someone by writing about them, and I know you're a little worried. So here's what I'll do: I'll save all positive comments about contestants like this for a "Best Season 34 Contestant" thread (if it's ever created). That way, I'll be 100% sure not to go too far. Thanks for mentioning this--I'll be darn sure not to go to wild conclusions and not ever do something like this again.

Offline strongbad

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2006, 04:15:24 PM »
This was a fun taping to be at.  Lots of fun contestants and some good games too.  There was also a guy in the audience who proposed to his girlfriend during one of the commercial breaks, I was sort of surprised that Bob didn't mention anything about that on the air.  

I was seated three rows back, behind contestant #2 (I'm wearing a baseball jersey).  I was in line at 1245am and had #52 in line.  Was surprised how many people were in line at that hour!

During Card Game, everyone around me was telling Stephen to stop when he got to $16K, but I was the only one telling him to keep going.  No way a Colorado is cheaper than a Ford Focus!  Hilda was fun, but she could have won her showcase, had she only looked towards her granddaughter in the audience.  She (wearing a blue sweatshirt) was seated in the row in front of me, 3 seats off to my left (it would be your right, when watching on tv).  I kept telling her grand daughter to bid $27K on her showcase, but Hilda never once looked at her until after she had given her bid...oh well.  

I noticed our friend MSTieScott is no longer a page, but is still helping out with the show.  What are ya doing these days with the show, Scott??

Offline garffreak

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2006, 09:50:18 PM »
I was also at this taping.  Got in line around 2AM and was #60 seated in the studio.  I think O.O.A. of 75 or so.

Joe's shirt was a reference to "That's Too Much!", which he was saying all day long.

Step Up was one of the most evil setups I've ever seen.  $1499 being the most expensive?  Can't Stop the Dob.

Hilda was ANNOYING.  Seriously.  Try spending 11 hours around that and see how well you do.  Sure, she had energy, but it really wears you down when you're sleep-deprived.

Somethings you don't see on air:
* There was a marriage proposal in the audience during the break before Hilda mentions she was married 63 years. (She accepted, with the father of the groom present, also.)
* The grocery plugs in Pick-a-Pair were re-shot after the taping ended, video only--they reused Rich's voiceover
* Bob officially declared me a "loyal friend and true" during a break
* Yes, Scott does seem to have been "promoted" to the job of getting contestants to sign waivers and whatever forms after their games.
* Roger got a hero's welcome when he stepped onto the stage befoer the shooting.
* The camera-operators DO know where contestants are seated.  A lady came out with a map of the audience and wrote down contestant numbers on the map so they knew where we were seated.  And the cameras would line up during the break so they'd be pointed in the general direction.
New TPiR Announcer: Gilbert Gottfried.  See?  Things *can* be worse.

Online SteveGavazzi

• Director
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2006, 11:38:55 PM »
garffreak wrote:

* Roger got a hero's welcome when he stepped onto the stage befoer the shooting.

As well he should.

Offline MSTieScott

• TPIR Alumnus!
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2006, 11:55:03 AM »
garffreak wrote:
* Yes, Scott does seem to have been "promoted" to the job of getting contestants to sign waivers and whatever forms after their games.

I haven't said anything, mostly because it's a very temporary job, but for now, I get to be in the studio and be the guy who forces the excited contestant who's shaking because he just won a catamaran to fill out the boring paperwork instead of reflecting on winning his favorite game. Ain't television glamorous?
The statements and opinions expressed above are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the author's employer or any company the author has worked with, past or present. Individual results may vary.