Author Topic: January 1973 (Episode 1 of 2) (OAD: 1/25/73, preempted until 1/26)  (Read 7129 times)

Offline WarioBarker

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Azumanga WHO - my first-ever published work!
    • DeviantART Profile (see what I'm up to!)
EDITED BY ME DUE TO FORUM RULES. SORRY TO ALL

...Yeah, what he said. Oh, and Steve Gavazzi...this is for you because you asked for it :-)

(Movie screen comes down with a projector visible in the back; Various students are talking...)

Hello? May I have your attention? (talking ceases) Thank you, and welcome to today's special showing of A Price is Right Classic. Yes, it's me again with my usual...(kids thinking out loud the ways Daniel could finish that) SHUT IT! Anyway :-P, this is an episode recorded in January of 1973 (or so says GSN).

The audio on my copy is not-so-good (the episode was taped - not by me - off GSN during its 'Dancing Man Logo' Era {AKA pre-Dark Period} so the names listed here are either right or very close: The things I'm not sure about have a ? next to them.

Okay, switch on, and STOP MAKING FUN OF ME! (room is darkened and projector is switched on; First up is the classic slide you've seen on many videotape releases of movies; Mimics all those guys who've said this on videotapes - I know you've heard them) And now, Our Feature Presentation (dun, dun-dun-dun-dun).

P.S. I apologize for the above.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Richard Dickenson, COME ON DOWN! (Almost-balding mid-40's guy wearing an orange {brown?} Winter coat with a striped shirt underneath; Runs immediately on stage, faces the audience, and starts dancing a really odd dance; Due to the camera being behind him so much we don't get good shots of the other three)

Teresa Bradley, COME ON DOWN! (Early 20's lady wearing a brown blouse; Notable mostly for her BIG hair)

Minnie Blair, COME ON DOWN! (Late-20's African-American girl wearing a red coat and a diamond-patterned shirt underneath; Richard comes down and takes the fourth spot right before the fourth name is called with a smug look on his face)

and Louise Crinesy(?), COME ON DOWN! (Mid-30's woman wearing a similiar outfit to Richard except hers is {Navy?} blue and is wearing a bracelet around her right wrist)

Bob: Oh welcome to The New Price is Right and Richard I want you to understand - you stay there - I'll tell you when I want you! When I want you up here I'll call you!

First Four Lineup: 4, 2, 3, 1
Models: Janice Pennington and Anitra Ford
Item #1 - Sydney Boats sailboat (Anitra)
LOUISE    470   TERESA 350   MINNIE   525   RICHARD *400 ($450)

Richard plays BONUS GAME for a Broyhill three-cushion sofa, a 23-inch color TV from the Spiegel Catalog, and 24 cans of Scott's Liquid Gold (Janice) {$843}

Brother zig-zag sewing machine (full-size lightweight w/carrying case)
$140   LOWER   $135   *   NO

American Tourister 'one-suiter' luggage (one large suitcase)
46   LOWER   50      NO

Mary Kay four-bottle 'Mr. Kay' set (two cologne, two aftershave)
14   HIGHER   11      NO

Electro-Grill all-electric table-top barbecue grill
88   HIGHER   83      BONUS   LOSS

TOTAL WINNINGS: $585

Richard wonders if he gets Janice, too. Bob says no, and Richard mentions his wife (which gets a big laugh from the audience) 'Yeah, you better cool it, Richard'. Good taste, nonetheless ;-)

ELEVEN DOLLARS for two bottles each of cologne and aftershave? You'd have to pay over $50 now to get the fancy versions of that stuff!

Bob remarks how this is one of the most complimentary audiences they've had on this show in a long time; Considering they were only on for four months by the time this episode was taped...

Donna Small, COME ON DOWN! (Easily 18-22 years old wearing a black shirt and striped pants; Her name fits her, too, as her microphone is up to her mouth! Bob makes a comment about her height, as well. Easily a Hottie for you, Heels ;-))

Item #2 - Guild transistor stereo (read: Phonograph) (Janice in the Clam)
+Louise *240   +Teresa 400   +Minnie 175   DONNA 150 ($277)

Louise plays MONEY GAME for a 1973 Chevrolet Vega Coupe (white striped tires, tinted glass, power steering, and a couple of other things that I can't hear too well due to the crappy audio) {Anitra}

27   26-2   27-1    85
   93    82    44   93-3
   77   77-4    51   31-5
-------
$228           26   51   LOSS

TOTAL WINNINGS: $505

Interesting thing - On early playings all the lights would be darkened except for four places: The Giant Price Tag/Bob and the contestant (later the Money Game board), the car (behind Door #3), the lights around the Turntable, and the chase lights around the Big Doors.

Also interesting is the fact that the game board has the enlarged dollar sign next to the two car symbols (I'm pretty certain; My copy of the January 4th, 1973 episode has the board looking 'squished') and black-on-yellow car symbols.

On top of that the part near the top of the board has changed from orange to blue and the part underneath the car symbols has changed from light blue to either dark blue, brown, or black (again, the video quality on this episode may be the cause of the look, but I doubt it).

Bob talks to Donna about her husband, her career, and the fact that the former isn't at the show today.

On the other hand Teresa and Minnie are still in Contestant's Row; One (or both) of them is going to go to the First Four Breakfast Club, and one of the things they do is clean the studio anytime tomato juice is sprayed; Not fun. Can either of them escape that horrible fate?

...And to add to this problem there hasn't been a winner all day and that young skunk singing Chevalier is waiting outside. Can one of our four contestants prevent the dousing of the studio with tomato juice?

Janet Jeljucco(?), COME ON DOWN! (Early-20's girl with curly hair wearing overall-like clothes and a shirt underneath; Another Hottie, Heels?)

Item #3 - Tappan freestanding trash compactor (Anitra)
JANET 250   +Teresa 220   +Minnie 200   Donna *225 ($239)

Teresa and Minnie head off to the Membership Desk while Donna plays CLOCK GAME for a Wal-Vac cleaning system (vacuum) with accessories and a Tappan refrigerator/freezer (Janice); She also has to stop that skunk in 30 seconds...Yeah, no pressure, Donna...

Wal-Vac vacuum ($248)
125 130 135 140 145 150 155 170 180 200 225 240 280 260
255 254 253 243 244 245 246 247 TIME 248 SKUNKED

TOTAL WINNINGS: $239

Donna doesn't think she's too bright, although she spat out a LOT of bids (23, which is more than anybody I can recall) and probably should've gotten the vacuum. It wouldn't have mattered in terms of the Showcase standings, though, as she would've missed out by only $18... Get out the tomato juice!
SHOWCASE ROUND
Richard has the honor.

SC1-Louise       Rath hickory smoked ham (5 ounces) {Anitra}
--------------     Levitz dining room suite (Janice)
BID      $1,300  Interfaith(?) 45-piece china set (J)
PRICE    2,006  Brown & Gold Co. 5-light wood/iron chandlier (J)
DIFF     706  Capehart 8-speaker stereo w/8-track, AM/FM multiplex radio (A)

SC2-Richard     Campbell's Chunky Soup (Chunky Vegetable) {Janice}
--------------     King Seeley Thermos Co. camping equipment (pup tent, 
BID      $3,000  portable cooler, and two sleeping bags) {Anitra}
PRICE    3,504  Old Town 16-foot fiberglass canoe with two paddles (A)
DIFF        504   Mercury Comet (deluxe wheel cover, white-stripe tires,
TOTAL $4,089   bumper group, tinted glass, and deluxe interior) {J}

Each Showcase was presented behind its respective Door. Richard and Louise are in agreement: 'I hope I win!' Louise made a relatively good bid but was outdone by $202. Ouch.
Today's Pricing Games: 0 for 3
Total Winnings: $4,833

Richard does another dance after his victory, then goes over to his car and gets in. While he does so we can see that Door #1 is still open, showing the contents of Showcase #1; The final shot is of Bob standing next to the car and Richard still in it.

*Edited by F20 to reflect airdate in thread title*
« Last Edit: March 29, 2008, 08:50:10 PM by Forrest20 »
Quote from: The_Great_Butler
WarioBarker is exactly right.
This post ©2009 DB Enterprises, Inc. -- But at least it wasn't my fault Drew removed the ability to comment from his blog.

Offline OldPrice75

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Re: January 1973 (Episode 1 of 2)
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2007, 12:47:31 PM »
Thanks for posting this, it sounds like a hilarious show.

So, did Richard dance around on stage the whole time 'til Bob came out?  Man sure was full of himself.

Interesting details about the Money Game board.  You reading this, Steve?  ;-)

Offline F3L1X P#20

• Outside in Line
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2007, 02:35:22 PM »
Thanks for posting this, this sounds like a hilarious show.

So did Richard dance the whole time until Bob came out?? I'm just asking.

Offline WarioBarker

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Azumanga WHO - my first-ever published work!
    • DeviantART Profile (see what I'm up to!)
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2007, 04:16:13 PM »
'So did Richard dance the whole time until Bob came out? I'm just asking.'

As mentioned above:

'Minnie Blair, COME ON DOWN! (Late-20's African-American girl wearing a red coat and a diamond-patterned shirt underneath; Richard comes down and takes the fourth spot right before the fourth name is called with a smug look on his face)'

There you go.
-Daniel
Quote from: The_Great_Butler
WarioBarker is exactly right.
This post ©2009 DB Enterprises, Inc. -- But at least it wasn't my fault Drew removed the ability to comment from his blog.

Offline OldPrice75

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2007, 10:23:57 PM »
Uhhhh, why did you write almost the exact same thing I did???