Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 06/23/2006  (Read 30697 times)

Offline Jordanar18

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Currently, I live in the past.
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 06/23/2006
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2006, 10:15:25 PM »
Hmmm... let's see here:

1.  Double Prices not played
2.  Plinko not played
3.  Dice Game not played
3.  Only one casher this week
4.  Secret X out of semi-retirement
5.  Credit Card/Poker Game equally due, but Race gets the nod
6.  LER/PTB both due this week, neither played
7.  Now or Then/Grandy/Hi-Lo/PTB all due, but Grocery gets played
8.  Flip Flop's trip's price

I think The Dob knew about the Goodson Cup. :-D

Offline Joe_Capitano

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2006, 10:51:27 PM »
BarkerBrawny wrote: In fact, wasn't this episode the true finale, meaning last episode filmed?  Next week's are rescheduled from earlier...

Well, I'd better let you all in on this. As it turns out, this was not the final production of the season. MSTieScott informed me of this...

Seems next Monday's show was actually taped...Tuesday. That's right, the 20th. The original taping was scrubbed. So, as it turns out, the last show to be produced will air on Monday, followed by the show that would have aired on the 12th on Tuesday. After that, you're on your own for the better part of three months.

Keep circulating the tapes.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2006, 11:21:20 PM »
You guys know I try to avoid using this term as much as possible, but I'd have to say that Flip Flop today was an honest-to-goodness forced loss.  I can't see any way any reasonable person could have won that.

I'm not sure whether Roger was going for an easy win or a painful loss in Lucky $even.  Either way, though, it was nice to see it won on its last playing of the season.

This might be a first -- a contestant actually benefitted from looking at the audience during Race Game!

Mary didn't really play Grocery Game too badly for the short time that she actually spent playing it...she just got stuck with the expensive version of the litter.

That's Too Much! was just odd.  I'm not sure I've ever seen the fake prices distributed so evenly before.  I really don't know what to make of that.

I never thought I'd say this, but thank God for Secret "X"!

Was anyone else disappointed that the first showcase ended without anything bad happening to Wanda?

Joe_Capitano wrote: Seems next Monday's show was actually taped...Tuesday. That's right, the 20th. The original taping was scrubbed. So, as it turns out, ...

Okay, I think I know what happened here.  At any rate, I've got a guess.  According to the airdate schedule on CBS.com, although the episode was taped this week, its production number was still #3641K.  I think that when the original taping got cancelled, they already knew that the show wouldn't be airing on May 29 anyway, so instead of getting the tapedates and airdates even closer together than they already were, they just skipped that episode and came back to it after everything else was finished.

(So unless there's a really screwy lineup on Monday, I would still consider today's show the season finale.)
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline heelsrule1988

• Double Showcase Winner
    • My Deal or No Deal recaps
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2006, 11:25:20 PM »
Friday, June 23, 2006

Bidding Round #5- #247, Cynthia! :-D

Showcase- Wow, another case of showcases on steroids. Those were way more expensive than I thought they would be.

BEST CONTESTANT OF THE DAY- Timothy, although his comment about the CBS eye in the first Showdown was kind of lame.

SHOW SUMMARY AND GRADE- Quiet final show (well, not really, but you know what I mean) of the season... Grade: 1

Offline Joe_Capitano

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2006, 01:35:36 PM »
SteveGavazzi wrote: (So unless there's a really screwy lineup on Monday, I would still consider today's show the season finale.)

In a perfect world we wouldn't have to go down this road, but since we must - and I'm seeing potholes - here's my view: Going by production number makes little sense here. The Last Show Aired (Tuesday) is (or becomes) the Finale. Even if it's out of sequence, even if Barker doesn't acknowledge it - and when's the last time he even noted Summer Break anyway?

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2006, 03:57:26 PM »
We go through this every year at this time.  You and I just plain don't agree on this.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline rob79

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2006, 05:41:41 PM »
Interesting show as far as lineup is concerned. I will say its about time we go 1 week without seeing Double Prices. When's the last time that happened? Anyways, on to my thoughts....

Flip-Flop: Impossible for myself, flopping looked a whole lot better than flipping or both flip flopping.

Lucky 7: Finally, someone wins this game again. I was afraid that last number was going to be a 9. Thank goodness it wasn't.

Race Game: Whoa, he blazed through that first chance. That's how you do it.

Grocery Game: Impossible game: as has been said more often than not lately in this game-that setup was flat out nasty.

That's Too Much: I would have gone one more than Adrienne did and still lost.

Secret X: Wow, where has X'y been? Good to see it return with a win.

Showcases: Wow, isn't very often that both showcases are over $30k each.

Good show today, hopefully the final two first run shows will be even better.

Offline Dexter F. Williams

• Outside in Line
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2006, 07:05:55 PM »
I only saw two of them, and here's what I think:

Flip-Flop: Bah, he lost.
Lucky Seven: Lindsay did a great job playing this game. I remember playing this in the 1998 Tiger Electronics game and always choosing the Dodge Viper card (#70002) and winning the car.

MY SCORE: 2 (whole episode as of what I saw under recap), +9 (Lindsay's perfect playing of Lucky $even). Everyone at TPiR have a GREAT summer, and I'll see YOU back for Season 35!

Offline OneDollarBob

• In the Audience
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2006, 08:56:59 PM »

rob79 wrote:
Grocery Game: Impossible game: as has been said more often than not lately in this game-that setup was flat out nasty.

Contrary to most of the other posts, I don't think Grocery Game was *that* impossible.  She made the same mistake that so many other contestants make:  trying to get her total all at one time on a single product.  Any constestant with fair knowledge of the products could have bought one unit of two or three of the more expensive products and then baby-stepped to $20-21.00 with the obviously-cheap Hot Pockets--er, pizza snacks.

Contestants should quit treating Grocery Game like it's Bullseye.

Offline Mallory16

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Icon by Gemma Moody
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2006, 10:50:51 PM »
What makes you think she was trying to play the game like Bullseye?

Offline OneDollarBob

• In the Audience
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2006, 09:53:11 AM »
Not that these contestants are intentionally playing Grocery Game like it's Bullseye--I'm just saying that most contestants these days (or maybe even since the early days of Grocery Game; I can't remember that far back) act as though the $20-21.00 range is a target price they have to reach by purchasing x amount of one product.  Sounds like Bullseye, doesn't it?

Almost without exception, you are better off buying a little of this, that, and the other to get to $20.00+.  Why this lady or so many others all try to get it in one shot just confuses me, unless they just don't have any idea how to play Grocery Game, or they just aren't thinking.

Offline Mallory16

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Icon by Gemma Moody
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2006, 11:55:54 AM »
OK, let me rephrase my question:  why do you feel she was trying to hit the $20.00-$21.00 target with just the cat litter?  Or do you honestly expect these contestants to believe the kitty litter is that expensive?  

The "buy a little of this, a little of that" method really does not work very well when the two cheapest products are $2.49 and $5.99.  Sorry, just doesn't.  The best bet for winning, really, would have been to try to win with just one product.  The Azo would've done it.  Just that Mary picked the wrong product.  Not that that was what she was trying to do, anyway.

Instead of blaming the contestants for losing, how about blaming Roger, who clearly hasn't wanted anyone to win Grocery Game lately?  Roger won't be mad:  he's proud of things like forcing Grocery Game losses.  You can blame him.  He won't bite

Offline Marc

• Executive Producer
    • Golden Road
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2006, 03:03:00 PM »
Instead of blaming the contestants for losing, how about blaming Roger, who clearly hasn't wanted anyone to win Grocery Game lately?  Roger won't be mad:  he's proud of things like forcing Grocery Game losses.  You can blame him.  He won't bite

How did Roger force the loss?  Sure, he decided to use an expensive product in the game -- but the contestant bought 3 of them -- not Roger!  Had the contestant known the right price (i.e. the whole premise of the show), it was a mistake that could have easily been avoided bythe contestant.  But in this case, the contestant did not know the right price, and the game came to a quick end.

Why is Roger guilty?

MG

Offline Mallory16

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Icon by Gemma Moody
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2006, 03:23:13 PM »
OK, maybe I was exagerrating by saying "forced loss."  I didn't mean that Grocery Game couldn't be won.  Roger knew what he was doing when he set up the game, though:  I doubt he really went into this thinking that the game would be won.  There's nothing wrong with that--heck, I enjoy the evil side of Roger--but I have to imagine that Roger knows when he's setting up a game, like today's Grocery Game, to be tough as nails.

I'm sorry if I sounded negative about Roger, though.  I don't want him to go soft on us !

My main point was all the heavy scolding OneDollarBob was laying on Mary for losing Grocery Game.  I sincerely doubt that she was trying to win with one purchase.  I find it much more likely that she simply undervalued the kitty litter:  I myself would never guess it to be $7.37 if I hadn't had the price memorized.  I'm not saying Mary couldn't have played better, but I just find it unfair to accuse her of trying to hit the $20.00-$21.00 target with a single product when, in all likelyhood, she was doing no such thing.

Offline Ted

• TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2006, 09:09:12 PM »
If you do the math, you'll discover that there were only 8 possible ways to win Grocery Game today.  However, it was an automatic loss if you did any of the following:

1)  Buy more than 1 of the Mid Nite sleep aid
2)  Buy 2 of the Azo cranberry supplement
3)  Buy 2 of the Space Bags
4)  Buy 4 or 5 of the Hot Pockets

To me, that seems way too restrictive.  Especially since each of these purchases is under $20.00 (and 5 Hot Pockets is only $12.45).

As I've said before, there should ALWAYS be one product in Grocery Game under $1.00 (or at least under $1.50) so that a shrewd player can win the game.

Or, as I've also said before, they should increase the winning range from $27.00 to $30.00, since there aren't very many grocery products under $3.00 anymore.

Sorry, in advance, for opening that can of worms again...