Author Topic: Wheel - Split Screen  (Read 10991 times)

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Wheel - Split Screen
« Reply #45 on: December 27, 2007, 10:07:23 PM »
What do you mean at least Drew lets...The contestants have always been allowed to take the spotlight on Price is Right. I don't recall Bob ever denying a contestant the chance to say hello to someone when he or she wished to do so. It was the spinning of the big wheel, not personal shout out to everyone you know time, anyway.
Bob never denied a contestant a chance to say hello to anyone.  He never exactly encouraged it either.  It just seemed uncomfortably awkward.  At least Drew makes it not seem like the contestant is forcing it, whereas Bob's usual reaction to "Can I say hi to someone?" was "while the wheel is spinning you can say hello to the world and everyone in it."
Also, I really don't think the "hellos" during the showcase showdown is where contestants should get their 15 minutes of fame.
So you'd rather them just stand there sedately, listening to the "doot doot doot" of the wheel, then use down time otherwise for doing something they're likely going to do anyway?  It's better than during the playing of the game. 
« Last Edit: December 27, 2007, 10:13:11 PM by isucgv »

Offline djryan

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #46 on: December 28, 2007, 10:43:38 AM »
I'm just saying that if I wanted to hear people praising Christ, I would watch TBN or some other religious channel.

That's what makes 'TPIR' unique is the variety of contestants on the show!  People giving thanks to Jesus is perfectly fine!!  I like someone's comment about PRICE being NOT-politically correct.  It's a fun venue without worrying about offending people because people focus on having fun and enjoying the moment!!!
COME ON DOWN!

Offline hyhybt

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #47 on: December 28, 2007, 05:51:07 PM »
The only thing I don't like about the hellos this season is that it's become something you pretty much *have* to do. Now, I wouldn't give this answer because I've thought about it in advance, but probably most contestants just say hi to whoever comes to mind at the moment, and I'm just waiting for someone to say "well, I would but none of my family or friends like The Price is Right..."

I'm just saying that if I wanted to hear people praising Christ, I would watch TBN or some other religious channel.
A while back, when the guy thanked the Lord before his Showcase bid, then proceeded to overbid by two bucks... was I the only one who found that to be pants-soilin' funny?
Well, no, I don't find a $2 overbid funny in the least, and I'm more than a little disturbed that even the slightest mention of God outside of a religious program would bother people.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #48 on: December 28, 2007, 07:22:14 PM »
A while back, when the guy thanked the Lord before his Showcase bid, then proceeded to overbid by two bucks... was I the only one who found that to be pants-soilin' funny?
Well, no, I don't find a $2 overbid funny in the least, and I'm more than a little disturbed that even the slightest mention of God outside of a religious program would bother people.

You do have to admit that that's some pretty good irony, though.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #49 on: December 28, 2007, 07:34:17 PM »
I agree Steve; in fact, our member Ted made a YouTube video of that moment and called it "A Vengeful God."
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline temptation1979ga

• Double Showcase Winner
    • The Price is Right episode trading
« Reply #50 on: December 29, 2007, 01:22:10 PM »
At least Drew makes it not seem like the contestant is forcing it, whereas Bob's usual reaction to "Can I say hi to someone?" was "while the wheel is spinning you can say hello to the world and everyone in it."

But how could Bob have handled that in a better way? The quotation you provided was only said by Bob when a contestant asked to say his/her hellos before he/she spun the wheel. There just isn't time for a contestant to say hello to everyone and then spin the wheel.

So you'd rather them just stand there sedately, listening to the "doot doot doot" of the wheel, then use down time otherwise for doing something they're likely going to do anyway?  It's better than during the playing of the game.

No!  I'd rather Drew to do some more talking, describing what's going on, asking the contestants what they will do with the money, and maybe occasionally, asking if they want to say hello to someone. I don't have a problem with him doing that at all, if it's not done in excess. Variety is the spice of life.

I agree Steve; in fact, our member Ted made a YouTube video of that moment and called it "A Vengeful God."

Speaking of vengeful God, this reminds me of a Flip Flop playing from 4 or 5 years ago. The lady playing the game went up to the board and put both of her palms flat out on the game board, and Bob asked her what she was doing, and she said, "I was praying," or something close to that. She promptly lost the game, but what stands out to me is the awesome reaction shot they put up going to commercial. It was from the side, a unique angle, of her with her hands on the board praying. It kinda gave me chills when I saw it because it was so cool (and especially since reaction shots going to commercial weren't nearly as common by that point.)

Offline ClockGameJohn

• TPiR Alumnus &
  • Executive Producer
« Reply #51 on: December 29, 2007, 07:04:06 PM »
Speaking of vengeful God, this reminds me of a Flip Flop playing from 4 or 5 years ago. The lady playing the game went up to the board and put both of her palms flat out on the game board, and Bob asked her what she was doing, and she said, "I was praying," or something close to that. She promptly lost the game, but what stands out to me is the awesome reaction shot they put up going to commercial. It was from the side, a unique angle, of her with her hands on the board praying. It kinda gave me chills when I saw it because it was so cool (and especially since reaction shots going to commercial weren't nearly as common by that point.)

John

Offline ILoveBonusGame

• 2/15/2008
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #52 on: December 29, 2007, 09:06:42 PM »

Wow...I've been meaning to find that episode. I thought she was also memorable for something she said on stage. She came up, wished Bob a happy birthday (it was apparent this show was taped around his birthday since it aired in February) and proclaimed "The twins and I love you" while pointing out her chest.

Offline temptation1979ga

• Double Showcase Winner
    • The Price is Right episode trading
« Reply #53 on: December 30, 2007, 12:09:23 AM »
Wow, thanks for the pic, John. That is exactly the moment I had in mind. Makes me want to go dig out the episode wherever it is.  ;)